DHS Toy Story Land Construction

Edited: April 3, 2016, 10:51 AM

Construction walls are now up for DHS Toy Story Land. There's a picture of the land on the construction walls. It appears that the coaster has been significantly value/cost engineered when compared to the previous concept art. The trenches,rock work, tunnel and most of the thematic elements for the coaster that were in the concept art are no longer present. It also appears the Restroom building has been eliminated. (Comparison pictures on Orlando United, Toy Story Land thread (pg. 12)...Also, pictures on WDW Magic, Spirit 11 thread, Toy Story Land thread, Star Wars Land thread.....The top left corner of the picture also looks like there's a tunnel entrance to an area that appears to be Star Wars Land.

Replies (6)

April 3, 2016, 8:34 AM

Yawn
A snail could build it faster.

Edited: April 4, 2016, 10:20 AM

Sounds like Disney is once again cutting corners on a land that while fun, wasn't all that detailed to begin with. The Toy Story movies are some of the best movies Disney has released over the last few decades, and with John Lassater at Imagineering, I'm sure it wasn't his idea to reduce the budget.

I really wish the parks and resorts were at least partially owned by a separate company. The relationship Disney has with Oriental Land Company proves that Disney is no longer the best at running theme parks, and it would be better it'd somebody else was responsible for it worldwide. That's not to say I dislike Disney by any means, but realistically, they do the same things wrong over and over again. They do some great things, go overbudget, and or shareholders think margins are too low, so they reduce or reeze budgets, and raise prices. All well, at least people see that and attendance has gone down as a result. Er, nevermind.

Edited: April 3, 2016, 3:50 PM

So we're making VE assessments based on evolving, blue sky concept art? Really?

April 3, 2016, 9:46 PM

That's what we do, TH. That's what we do. ;^)

April 4, 2016, 2:19 AM

I'll take a wait and see approach. Concept art is just that - a concept. Do we know what the budget for TSL was, originally? And what it is now?

I couldn't see the pictures on that other site. It seems like I would need to register first, so if anyone is already a member there and could throw in the pics within this thread, that'd be appreciated.

We know Disney can do theming like nobody else, and maybe this new land will be disappointing. But it also might be great! In the end, as long as SWL is up to snuff, I don't think people will care all that much if TSL is amazing or just pretty good. It'll be a welcomed addition to the park, regardless.

I still hope the budget is decent, and they don't skimp too much on the facades and landcaping/fauxscaping.

Edited: April 4, 2016, 6:29 AM

Gabriel: The pictures on OI should show up whether you're a member or not. You're correct on blowing up the Magic pictures, but they still won't be able to be seen by a non member if transferred.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive