So is the ToT rumor still a thing?

April 27, 2016, 4:29 PM

After the rumor first broke out of the twilight zone transforming into a Guardians ride, that's all that people on here spoke of. A month or so later there hasn't been a word about it. I assume if this does happen, it'll only happen to the DCA ToT because of how badly they need to transform Hollywoodland into Marvel. We also must remember of the Frozen Matterhorn rumor from last year that clearly never happened. So in a world of Star Wars, Avatar and Toy Story, do people even care anymore if this happens?

Replies (10)

April 27, 2016, 5:23 PM

Not sure. I'll just see what Jim Hill says, he's usually right.

April 28, 2016, 5:13 PM

I like it when people keep track of who's right and who's full of it with these things.

And I will leave it at that.

April 29, 2016, 3:06 PM

Tower of Terror has multiple themes around the world. If a Marvel theme makes sense for CA then do it. That ToT is different enough from DHS it can be its own unique theme.

May 4, 2016, 9:53 AM

All I can say is that if this rumor is at all true and they do this to DHS then they will be making a huge mistake.

May 4, 2016, 6:16 PM

It seems to be true. It probably won't happen at WDW,but it most certainly will happen at DCA... You can read about it here http://micechat.com/125382-disneyland-guardians-of-the-tower/

May 4, 2016, 7:45 PM

That article is fairly close to what I heard recently, but they're jumping the gun a little bit. Retheming the ride as a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction is under serious consideration, but it has not been approved yet and everything is still at the concept stage. No actual testing has occurred at the attraction, only Imagineers touring areas to help with concept design. This proposal comes out of a plan to do Marvel Land in three phases instead of doing everything at once in order to avoid a major closure of Hollywood Land for two years and in order to get a full Marvel attraction in the park as quickly as possible. The Tower redo would be phase one, with phase two including most of the new attractions and phase three tying it all together. Also, the proposal is ONLY for the DCA version of the attraction...DHS and WDS are not even under consideration for the project at this point.

My personal opinion is that I'm perfectly fine with a retheme of the attraction as long as the retheme makes sense and the quality of the attraction is maintained. If that section of the park is going to become Marvel Land, a Marvel theme does make sense. However, I cannot think of any way the Collector's Mansion idea creates a ride that doesn't feel like a simple movie tie-in, and given that the rest of Marvel Land is Earth-based (as far as I know) it's going to feel out of place. Ideally, I'd leave the ride as is for another couple years and then retheme it to Stark Tower with a storyline that ties into the Infinity War films for 2019, as that would likely make a much better ride and it would only lead the rest of Marvel Land by 1-2 years instead of 3-4 (plus opening it then may help thin the Star Wars Land crowds a little).

May 5, 2016, 10:05 AM

This is picking up with regular media. Not sure how the new street cars would tie into the Marvel area.

May 5, 2016, 2:54 PM

@Court E
What regular media? I want to see this.

Also isn't TPI regular media, they go to press events and stuff :).

May 5, 2016, 3:46 PM

Terrible decision if it comes to pass. This seems to be way more trouble than it's worth. If they are concerned with the licensing rights, they already have a substitute storyline already existing at TDS. Why they would go out of their way to destroy one of the best attractions they've ever developed is beyond me. I can forgive Disney for a lot of things, but this would be really heartbreaking.

May 11, 2016, 3:42 PM

It's happening.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive