Kong line duration

June 9, 2016, 9:02 AM

Hey everyone, I have a specific question that I am not sure if it will be answered or not.

So I am just curious about how fast the line at the new kong will theoretically move. the way I am thinking of it is that since the attraction basically piles people into the big truck, could this operate more like the jaws and kongfrontation ride where large groups will be sent off every few minutes? I know that this is hard to answer as of right now, I am just curious to what people might have heard so far.

Replies (11)

June 9, 2016, 9:47 AM

It will do over 4,000 RPH so that line is going to move. Like MOVE. You ever seen how fast the line for forbidden journey moves? Kong will be twice as fast.

June 9, 2016, 11:37 AM

4000 people per hour? I doubt that. Probably closer to 2000.

June 9, 2016, 12:18 PM

No Jim Hill said 4,000-5,000 RPH. I didn't do the calculations myself.

June 9, 2016, 2:17 PM

Jaiden, do you have a link to the article stating that number? I'm having trouble finding it myself. From what I heard, it will be the highest capacity attraction at USO but my calculations (assuming the video is similar in length to King Kong 360 and only one vehicle is inside at a time) put the capacity at around 2200 riders per hour. While it's possible that figure is true, it would be astronomically high for a theme park attraction as the highest capacity Disney attractions get in the mid-2000s.

Edited: June 9, 2016, 4:42 PM

If it could put through 4000 people an hour with 72 people per vehicle, that would require a dispatch time of a vehicle every minute and six seconds. That wouldn't work since from what I've heard, the IOA and USH's 360 scene are virtually the same and the one in Hollywood lasts two minutes and you have to give a few seconds to reset.

Edited: June 9, 2016, 7:50 PM

With the five drivers, let's assume that means five vehicles. Each one holds 72, fully loaded. That won't happen in real life without compromising load time, but let's assume the theoretical here. Based on the video of the ride, that's seven minutes, not counting the unloading and most of the reloading of the vehicle. So let's be generous and assume an eight minute cycle time.

Five vehicles with 72 riders cycling every eight minutes means a theoretically hourly capacity of 2,700 riders. And that's not accounting for the length of the main scene video, which is 1:45, according to the video. With five vehicles and a 1:45 dispatch between each, that would mean a cycle time of 8:45 (which seems reasonable). So assuming a full load, the capacity for Reign of Kong would be 2,468 an hour.

June 10, 2016, 4:06 AM

Ok. 2,400 is still a great number. That's a little more than Forbidden Journey and Spiderman. I have noticed that FJ is the most popular ride in the park, but it rarely gets more than a posted 45 minute wait, which is really not that bad considering that line moves.

June 11, 2016, 7:39 AM

I know team members from universal and they say that the line moves super fast.

June 12, 2016, 6:39 AM

Did Jaiden ever find the link to Jim Hill's article that claimed "4,000-5,000 RPH?"

June 12, 2016, 4:06 PM

It was on a podcast a while back.

June 13, 2016, 8:36 AM

This post got a lot more attention than I expected, thank you for the input everyone. My countdown clock is winding down, 3 months and I am there. I am getting way too excited.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive