Most Overhyped Theme Park Attractions

Edited: May 10, 2014, 4:26 PM

This is a question that popped in my head, and I was wondering what were the most overhyped theme park attractions. Here are mine..
Antarctica- Empire of the Penguin: Sea World Orlando's newest attraction was hyped as a technological wonder being the first trackless ride in Orlando. What we did get was a 2 minute ride that just 'led' us to the penguin habitat. It was exciting at times, but it was an EXTREMLY overhyped attraction.
I didn't really come up with anymore, but if you are interested, make a comment stating your opinion.

Replies (22)

May 24, 2014, 2:33 PM

Forbidden Journey

May 24, 2014, 3:37 PM

Ollivander's Wand Shop. Long waits, weak show effects. Highly detailed though. Just a lot of talk for a mediocre experience.

May 24, 2014, 8:34 PM

The Yeti

May 25, 2014, 2:09 PM

1) the Forbidden Journey-I guess I just expected a ride that would surpass Tower of Terror, Spider-Man, Splash Mountain, and the like. Instead I got an amazing queue with a ride that failed to surprise or thrill.
2) The Tomorrowland Transit Authority-what's the point? To me, there is very little that is interesting to see on this ride. I'd get a very similar experience by sitting on a park bench (benches also don't have 5 minute waits).
3) Hall of the Presidents-I love history. I love The USA. I love the American Adventure. I expected to be the Hall of the Presidents' niche audience. Instead, I found myself very bored.

May 26, 2014, 8:11 AM

HPFJ is the top of the list for me. Its not a bad ride, but it wasn't game changing. I would also say the same about the Mummy. Don't get the appeal.

May 30, 2014, 6:17 AM

Definitely forbidden journey in IOA. Went on it once and have never done it again

May 30, 2014, 9:35 AM

Lots of bashing over Forbidden Journey... I thought it was excellent.

May 30, 2014, 10:21 AM

The Forbidden Journey was fun, but it wasn't what everyone made it out to be.

May 30, 2014, 10:47 AM

Yeah, I think Forbidden Journey is pretty much amazing. But I guess people thought it would be something else? Dunno.

May 30, 2014, 11:03 AM

Are we talking overhyped or overrated? In any event, my vote goes to Mr. Toad at Disneyland. Everyone sees this as a classic, but I found it incoherent and cheesy.

May 30, 2014, 3:39 PM

Disneyland's Indiana Jones.

Edited: May 30, 2014, 5:11 PM

Antartica: empire of the penguin... 50 minute wait, lame ride, and off you go to a FREEZING penguin exhibit while dressed for sunny Florida, so you can "enjoy" the penguins for 5 minutes.
Edit to add Test Track, I get more excitment driving through traffic

May 31, 2014, 5:50 AM

Why is Forbidden Journey considered overhyped. It is an amazing and fast-paced ride mixed with technological wonders (the KUKLA arm). One of my favorite rides in the Universal Complex.
James Trexen-
We are talking overhyped, not overrated. And if Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is like all the other classic Disney dark rides, then why is it considered more of a classic.

May 31, 2014, 8:40 AM

No other ride sends you to hell and back so quickly.

Edited: May 31, 2014, 9:46 AM

To overhype something means that a company or marketing team have put so much vibrant claims in a ride that when it finally opens, people can't help but be disappointed. For example, everyone here in the Chicago area was buzzing with excitement 6 years ago when Six Flags promised the Dark Knight coaster to be a thrilling adventure close to what you'd find at either Disney or Universal. When it turned out to be neither, people quickly panned it as the worst ride in the park. Likewise, a lot of fans were excited for the Little Mermaid attraction at California Adventure because it was promoted as a full-scale E-ticket ride. When it finally did open, people were disappointed by the lack of scenery and jilted narrative.

I asked the question because it seems here that some people are confusing overhyped with overrated, which means that someone finds themselves not enjoying an attraction that virtually everyone loves. While the two are similar, there is still a key difference and since people seemed to be listing rides that they found overrated, I chose Mr. Toad.

That brings me to my final point, I never said that Toad was more classic than other rides, but its status as classic is not in doubt. This is the case where an attraction is even more popular than its source material. How many other Fantasyland rides to you see referenced in movies and television? And yes, it was easily the weakest of the Fantasyland dark rides. The cardboard cut outs were cheesy and the story made little sense. Meanwhile, rides like Alice or Pinocchio used more dimensional figures with higher detailed areas and had narratives that I could (for the most part) follow.

June 1, 2014, 9:04 PM

So wheres all the advertisements for Mr. Toad? Is it only overhyped by company advertisements or overhyping from "word of mouth?" If word of mouth is included then options about rides like Forbidden Journey are totally valid.

June 2, 2014, 4:14 AM

The South Africa pavilion at Epcot.

Edited: June 3, 2014, 6:48 AM

I agree that the Want Shop was a waste of time. If you could walk right in, maybe it would be cute to watch for a moment but for all the Harry Potter hype, more could be done.

And the TTA is great. It's relaxing, seated, long, and has short waits.

June 5, 2014, 2:41 PM

Okay idk if six flags is in the theme park category but kingda ka is why overhyped. Just because it is the tallest does not make it the best. Nitro is just across the park (still overhyped but 20X better) and better experience.

Soarin' i have to say is overhyped. The lines are ridiculous and if you don't have a fastpass half of your day will be spent in a line... It is fun but it isn't to die for

June 7, 2014, 9:58 AM

Forbidden Journey? You all must be smoking something.... what didn't live up to the hype? The queue? The KUKA technology? The props? The parabolic screens that travel with the benches? One of the most unique rides of all time and people still find things to complain about.

In that case, I vote Tower of Terror, one of my favorite Disney rides of all time because it's nothing but a drop ride that travels on a track first..

If you have ever been to a Six Flags that has the Dark Knight "coaster", I think you could find a ride that was hyped up beyond belief. I sat outside the exit, waiting for my wife and daughter once. I have never heard so many people complain about a ride, wave after wave... it was comical.

June 9, 2014, 10:19 AM

Definetly the SDMT. I got woken up early to be there when the park opened, still waited in a 120 minute line, and all I got was a ride whose top speed was around 35mph, was less than a minute of a ride, and was overall disappointing. Waaaaay overhyped

June 9, 2014, 11:43 AM

Well, Kevin, you know all Disney rides are "sissified" so little ones don't get scared. I just watched a full ride POV. It does seem slow. Beautifully themed and laid out, but just like any small theme park coaster with animatronics and swinging cars.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive