Which theme park attraction do you find to be an eyesore?

Edited: May 15, 2014, 2:59 PM

For me it's the new Falcon's Fury at BGT; it's an ugly tower.

Replies (12)

Edited: May 15, 2014, 9:42 PM

ALL of Dino-Rama in AK. I get what they were going for, and on that level it works, and I will admit that there is a certain carnival-esque charm that is more forgivable at night when that section is all lit up, but when you take into account the non stop barrage of breathtaking beauty, them and craftsmanship that park consistently demonstrates, there's just no excuse for an abomination like that area. Especially when plans for a far better attraction were drawn up, and they opted to go with off the rack rides instead.

May 17, 2014, 7:41 AM

rip ride rockit

May 17, 2014, 10:43 AM

I'm inclined to agree on RRR. Coasters can be beautiful, but that one just seems so out of place.

May 17, 2014, 1:05 PM

Rip Rocket and present day Wonders of life

June 3, 2014, 6:53 AM

I think the Great Bear ruined Comet Hollow. It was a peaceful, old-fashioned river section of the park and then here comes huge B&M supports everywhere. Skyrush didn't help either but it was already lost by that point.

June 3, 2014, 9:50 AM

Oh there are so many of these... I'll just hit up the big theme parks I've been to.

Six Flags Magic Mountain: X2, Full Throtle, Tatsu, Superman Escape from Krypton, Green Lantern, Scream!, Goalith, Viper. Standout Eyesore: Scream! is built in a parking lot, which "screams" cheap.

Knott's Berry Farm: Back Side of Calico Mine, abandoned Kingdom of the Dinosaurs ride, Pony Express, Sierra Sidewinder, Silver Bullet, Montezumas Revenge, Jaguar, Coast Rider, Screamin Swing, Dragon Swing. Standout Eyesore: A "Silver Bullet" was used to kill the look of the entrance and the size of reflection lake with just one shot.

Disney California Adventure: Muppet Vision 3D, abandoned Who Wants to be a Millionare, Monsters Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescue, Hollywood and Dine, Hyperion Theater, "a bugs land" including Bugs Life Theater, Billboard Wall in Paradise Pier, Jumping Jellyfish, Goofys Flight School, the power lines you can see from the entrance of California Screamin, Paradise Pier Hotel. Standout Eyesore: Monsters Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescue looks like a 4 year old swallowed her crayons then puked onto a nice building with rainbow vomit.

Disneyland: Tomorrowland, Fantasyland Theater. Standout Eyesore: Tomorrowland took me to the far flung future of 1982. Autopia is dated, Nemo doesn't fit, Rocket Rods is still sitting there useless, Space Mountain needs a facelift, Captain Eo and the Starcade are beyond dated, Astroblasters is a nice cardboard cutout ride... Is there any teleportation device to transport this section out of this park? No? Oh that's right, it's only 1982...

Universal Studios Orlando: Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Twister, Shrek 4D, E.T. The Ride. Standout Eyesore: Shrek 4D, because nothing screams an immersive experience more than a giant studio box. There's no way they could have made this look like Farquads Castle?

Islands of Adventure: Spiderman show building, Toon Lagoon Theater, Forbidden Journey show building, Poseidon's Fury show building. Standout Eyesore: Forbidden Journey has a giant blue box behind it you can see from a bridge... Like I am not supposed to see the box just cause it's painted blue.

Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest show building, the "cell phone signal" tree. Standout Eyesore: Expedition Everest, Disney can't convince me it's a mountain when I can see its sheet metal backside.

Hollywood Studios: Former Backlot Tour buildings, Sorcerer Hat, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Lights Motor Action. Standout Eyesore: The Sorcerers Hat, because without it I just wouldn't know if I was at a Disney Park or not.

Epcot: Soarin show building, Abandoned Wonders of Life building, Swan and Dolphin Hotels, World Showcase Pavillion. Standout Eyesore: By painting the Soarin show building blue you aren't hiding it. Disney already have ruined the sight lines with Swan and Dolphin, just paint the show building to look like a hanger and I promise it won't look anymore out of place than it currently does now as a giant blue box.

Magic Kingdom: The vultures perched on Belle's Castle, Tomorrowland. Standout Eyesore: Tomorrowland, it's now 1992, but still no way to teleport this area out of the park, but hey they got a PeopleMover here!

My special nomination: Goldstriker at California's Great America. While some people and rides get hit or beat by the ugly stick, this ride was built from the ground up using nothing but ugly sticks.

June 3, 2014, 1:41 PM

Disneyland - The old Rocket Rods track.

Islands of Adventure - Toon Lagoon Theater and surrounding area. Islands of Adventure is one of the best theme parks ever designed, but this part of the park is downright awful.

Magic Kingdom - Tomorrowland Speedway. So ugly, loud and un-themed.

Epcot - Innoventions and Innoventions Plaza. From the hideous new paint job to that ugly triangle shade thing, I cringed when walking around this area last time at Epcot.

Universal Studios Florida - Hollywood Rip, Ride, RockIt. Universal Studios' New York land is amazingly themed and detailed, but I don't remember an unattractive red roller coaster jutting in and out of the buildings.

Disney's Animal Kingdom - Primeval Whirl and all of DinoRama. "Wow, this park is so beautifully themed and detailed, there's no part of the park that is badly themed and ugly... Oh."

Disney's Hollywood Studios - I would say the hat and Lights, Motors, Action. The facade is so obnoxious.

SeaWorld Orlando - Shamu Theater. So ugly.

Busch Gardens Tampa - The Hardees sign I can see within the park.

June 3, 2014, 2:31 PM

Epcot-Soarin

MK-Speedway

DHS-pretty much any visible poorly themed show building including, but not limited to, the Great Movie Ride, Animation, Little Mermaid, Pirates, and The former Millionaire building. Backlot Tour is also an eyesore. And above all: that hat.

DAK-conservation Station

USF-same as DHS including shrek, Despicable me, And ET. Rip Ride Rocket is the worst offender here.

IOA-the forbidden Journey show building and the Poseidon show building.

June 3, 2014, 5:11 PM

I'm hoping that the current renovations leave the Magic Kingdom with a more attractive hub than it has had in recent years. But, ultimately, I think it's the stage there that really bothers me, so I guess the hub work won't help with that.

June 3, 2014, 5:15 PM

Gotta include every coaster with a dedicated parking lot or highway view. The coaster generally isn't an eyesore, but the parking lot (or highway) sure is!

June 5, 2014, 2:52 PM

Okay so i have to admit Dino Rama is pretty ugly. But the theme is actually really good. I was at one point like, "why is Dino Rama in this beautiful park". So i googled it and to my surprise it had a theme. Well, of course it has a theme, everything in Disney is themed so why didn't i think of it earlier? Anyway heres a link to the story. It is definitely a unique theme and it really fits the land once you understand the story.

http://www.worldofwalt.com/chester-hesters-dinorama-dinoland-usa.html

June 14, 2014, 12:57 PM

RockNRoller Coaster inside and out is an eyesore. Along with all of the other studio buildings mentioned above.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive