Magic Mountain 2017

July 19, 2016, 11:33 AM

What do you think SFMM will get in 2017? The major rumor was a Justice League dark ride, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen, as the other parks have already submitted permits. I think that we will see a major flats expansion on the BAT site. I think that we will also see an Apocolypse retheme, maybe with the name SIx flags trademarked (Gale Force 7), with a Cyclone Bay refurbishment. What do you guys think?

Replies (6)

July 19, 2016, 3:15 PM

Seems legit

July 19, 2016, 3:35 PM

Yeah there's probably going to be some flat ride that's gonna go where the Batman theatre was.

Edited: July 19, 2016, 9:12 PM

There have been two big rumors for SFMM's 2017 project: Justice League, or a new coaster. Supporting the first rumor is that the Action Theater was completely leveled this spring, Six Flags still has three Justice League installs on the contract with Sally (from what I've heard), the Justice League movie is coming out next year, and the site is directly adjacent to the park's other DC attractions. Working against the first rumor is that two other Six Flags parks are now 99% confirmed to be receiving Justice League in 2017 and it is unknown whether Six Flags will purchase three in a year. Supporting the second rumor is that Six Flags has been taking a close look at Valravn, SFMM likes to install record breaking coasters, SFMM rarely waits more than 2 years between major coaster installations (with their last coaster opening in 2015), and a persistent rumor that Six Flags is likely to debut the first RMC T-Rex at one of their parks in 2017. Working against the second rumor is that there are many Six Flags parks more in need of a new coaster than SFMM, that SFMM has had some sort of coaster project every year since 2011, and that two other Six Flags parks have strong rumors of a coaster for 2017, and with one of those rumored to be a record breaker it is unlikely Six Flags would debut two brand new record breaking coasters in one year. Therefore, I'm going to guess the following (in order of likelihood):

1. Justice League: Battle for Metropolis. If Six Flags doesn't intend to purchase additional copies of this attraction in the future, I could see them installing three in 2017 to finish out their contract. The bonus from connecting the attraction opening to the movie release would likely make up for additional expense. Additionally, this is one type of attraction SFMM really needs.

2. Flat Ride Package. If not Justice League, I could see SFMM receiving several flats instead since the park has a flat ride drought. My guess is we'll see three flats taken from the various rides purchased in the past couple years, all with a superhero theme.

3. New Coaster. This would likely be either a B&M Dive Coaster or a RMC T-Rex, with a B&M Wing Coaster and a RMC Wood Coasters as outside possibilities. I don't think SFMM will be getting a coaster since the site cleared seems too small for a record breaker of any sort (it's just over an acre), but since SFOG was strongly rumored to be getting a new coaster before the Justice League permit appeared it is entirely possible the two parks had their plans switched at the last minute.

Whatever is happening, I think it will be confined to the cleared site and the nearby sections of the Movie District. I have heard from someone who works at the park that a Cyclone Bay refurbishment is on the five year plan, but they said it will not be happening in 2017.

UPDATE: Over the past few hours, I've heard that Justice League surveys have gone out to Six Flags passholders whose home parks are SFGAdv, SFOG, or SFMM. Based on that, I'm betting all three are getting Justice League rides next year.

July 20, 2016, 11:14 AM

I haven't gotten a Justice League survey yet from SFGADV. That may just be because I answer every survey like an entitled enthusiast but I wish I got one.

July 21, 2016, 10:43 AM

Don't really see SFMM building a flat ride in the near future as they generally don't drive attendance as high as a new dark ride or coaster will. My guess is that it'll be another Justice Leauge ride.

July 21, 2016, 11:42 AM

@Disneyobsession
Well in 2015, the Larson Loops did terrible, but in 2016 they bought 4 more. Don't under (or over)estimate Six Flags.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive