Water Coasters

July 29, 2016, 2:23 PM

Last Summer my Wife and I took a trip to Holiday World. We had a blast. We went two days and were able to experience everything we wanted to. Most of the time when we go to the parks we opt not to do the water parks portion. This time we decided to try Splashin Safari because of the parks official website touting the popularity of Mammoth and Wildebeest, the two record setting water coasters. As a long time roller coaster lover I am almost ashamed to say this but these two were the highlight of our riding experience. Thunderbird was amazing and the three wooden roller coasters were good as well. This is about the two water coasters though. They were so much fun. We rode each of them twice the first day and once again the second day. Wildebeest sits four riders behind one another and I was able to sit in front each time which I loved. The front of the ride gets the most airtime and also spray of water. I laughed about the entire ride and my Wife had just as much fun. I dont know the science behind how the upward propulsion of the ride takes place but it is absolutely great. Mammoth was very similar only it has a larger frame to carry the round six passenger raft. Both of these rides are well worth the admission to Holiday World and Splashin Safari. The questions I have for you all are have you ridden a water coaster? Not a water slide, not Journey to Atlantis, not a roller coaster over water, but a real water coaster. If you have what were they? Where are they located? Which is the best? I have searched and found there are some at the park in Wisconsin, I think Noah's Ark. Shlitterbahn in Texas and there is one at Walt Disney World, maybe called Crush and Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon. I am considering going to some of these places and any others. If you have any info on water coasters please fill me in because I am fascinated. Thank you.

Replies (6)

Edited: July 30, 2016, 8:47 AM

Tim, I rode Mammoth and Wildebeest for the first time back in 2015 when the Raos and the Koehls visited Holiday World together. And I gotta agree, they were both fantastic rides. While I wouldn't rank them above Voyage, Thunderbird, Legend, or Raven, those two water coasters far exceeded my expectations.

Here in the Kansas City area we have a Schlitterbahn Water Park, and they do have their own water coaster (Storm Blaster), but to be honest, I have never visited. Maybe next year....

Disney has Crush 'n' Gusher, which I think is a side-by-side water coaster, and I believe Wet n' Wild (if it is still open) had a water coaster at one time, too. Seems like Six Flags New England had a water coaster (Typhoon, maybe?), but I didn't visit their water park either of the two times I stopped by that park. You might also check out Wisconsin Dells since that city is informally know as the "water park capital of the world".

Finally, I think the Schlitterbahns throughout the great state of Texas have water coasters, but you'll have to check their websites to make sure since I haven't had the pleasure of visiting.

July 30, 2016, 7:04 AM

Water World in Denver has the Mile High Flyer, but their best rides are actually their water slide based dark rides. Unfortunately, I haven't been on any other water coasters. I really look forward to the day when someone combines water coasters with dark rides similar to the way Water World combined raft slides with dark rides to make Voyage to the Center of the Earth and the Lost River of the Pharaohs.

July 30, 2016, 11:36 AM

I've been on several water coasters and I agree that they are a ton of fun. The older Master Blaster version (which uses water jets to shoot rafts up hills) is somewhat tame by today's standards, but the ProSlide Hydromagnetic rides (which use LIM magnets...this is what the Holiday World ones are) are easily the best waterpark attractions out there. While I wouldn't go as far as calling Wildebeest better than Voyage, it definitely makes Splashin' Safari a must do when visiting Holiday World.

Of the six I've ridden, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Mammoth (Holiday World & Splashin' Safari, IN): Outstanding, probably the single best waterslide I've been on. It's long, has lots of hills, and even gives some significant airtime, which is not that common on a waterslide.

2. Wildebeest (Holiday World & Splashin' Safari< IN): Almost as good as Mammoth, but lacking the uncertainty factor provided by the spinning raft. This one also seems to have a bit more airtime.

3. Rendezvous Run (Cedar Point's Castaway Bay, OH): This one is pretty good, but also really short. However, it's the better of the two water jet rides I've ridden. I hear Sandusky's other water coaster (the one at Kalahari Resort) is better.

4. Master Blaster Water Coaster (Golfland SunSplash Roseville, CA): Bigger, but less thrilling than Rendezvous Run. This one is still a good ride, and since it ends in the lazy river you essentially get two rides in one.

5. Typhoon (Six Flags New England Hurricane Harbor, MA): This one was just as good as the previous couple, but it is a really weird design that uses high speed conveyor belts. This makes the uphill sections feel a bit awkward.

6. Aqua Rocket (Raging Waters, CA): Disappointing if you've been on another installation. This whole ride felt like the last 3rd of Wildebeest. It's still fun, just severely underwhelming.

In addition to those mentioned previously in this thread, I know offhand that Hydromagnetic water coasters are present at Kentucky Kingdom and Dollywood's Splash Country, though I have not ridden either of these. Also, Wet n' Wild in Florida does not have a water coaster, but the new Volcano Bay will.

Edited: July 30, 2016, 9:05 PM

Correct on Wet N Wild Florida not having a water coaster, AJ. I just figured they had all the thrills. However, when I was double checking, I found out that Wet N Wild Phoenix does have a water coaster, Maximum Velocity. So, let's just say I was talking about the Phoenix park!

Edited: July 31, 2016, 3:21 PM

Maximum Velocity is a very fun duel racing water coaster and it's one of my favorites at that water park. Best of all: the line is never that long.

July 31, 2016, 8:06 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I look forward to trying some of these rides.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive