Disney World Expansion

August 29, 2016, 12:47 PM

AJ Hummel, other than Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, and Avatar Land, what else have you heard about Disney World in regards to expansion?

What does the future hold for Disney World? What attractions and/or lands?

Replies (10)

August 29, 2016, 2:32 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much I can say that isn't already out there on one of the WDW fan sites. I do not follow WDW nearly as much as Disneyland, so while I do occasionally hear things I don't go searching out information on every project. Therefore, there are likely others who can say much more about the future of WDW than I can. However, here are a few things that I've heard...

Animal Kingdom:

-Avatar Land will be opening at some point in 2017, though it may not be open in time for summer.
-Rivers of Light may be ready by late 2016, but it is more likely that it won't premiere until next spring.
-2018 is an anniversary year for Animal Kingdom, but I don't know of any big projects happening that year. I suspect Avatar will be heavily marketed as part of the anniversary.
-I don't know anything about future projects for this park, but I would really like to see Zootopia added in the future.

Hollywood Studios:

-The parking lot and toll plaza redesign project is supposed to be done in 2018, and Disney wants to have this finished before any new attractions open at the park.
-Toy Story Land will be either 2018 or 2019.
-Star Wars Land will be either 2020 or 2021.
-The Great Movie Ride is getting a makeover, though whether or not it will be Great Mickey Ride I can't say. This will likely be for 2019.
-From what I heard, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular was intentionally saved and not bulldozed for Star Wars Land. This makes me think a new version of the show will premiere in 2019 to tie in with Indiana Jones 5.
-I've heard one or more of the other shows may be replaced in 2019, though I don't know any more than that. My guess is either Beauty and the Beast or MuppetVision would likely be up for replacement.
-Tower of Terror is safe in Florida. Rock 'n Roller Coaster, however, is not, and may be rethemed in the next few years.
-The previously announced name change for DHS will likely come in 2019.

Magic Kingdom:

-The park will likely receive a new attraction in 2021 for their 50th anniversary. Rumors point to something in either Frontierland or Tomorrowland.
-Outside of this, I haven't heard of anything major for Magic Kingdom. Disney is focusing on the other three parks as they are the ones that need improvement at the moment.

Epcot:

-While details are sparse, expect to see lots of IP added here over the next 5-10 years. I've heard rumors of Inside Out, Ratatouille, Mulan, Tron, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Cars being looked at for inclusion in the park, and there may be more.
-Epcot's anniversary is 2022, and they will likely get a big new E ticket that year. For other projects, expect either a smaller attraction or a complete retheme of an existing ride similar to what was done with Frozen.
-With the Guardians of the Galaxy rumors, whether this happens will likely be determined by how the new movie performs. The characters are in a bit of a gray area, so it isn't as simple to use them there as it was in California.

Again, take all of this with a grain of salt. My confidence level on the Disneyland stuff is about an 8/10, but for WDW it is more like 5-6/10. Like I've said before, what I post is mostly a composite of bits and pieces I've heard from various third and fourth level sources, it does not come directly from anyone involved in the projects. The one thing I will say is that Disney does want to have something to announce at each resort at each D23, so I would expect that we may get info on some of these projects next year.

August 29, 2016, 2:34 PM

Obviously a revamp of Tomorrowland and Future World. There are also some rumors of a new Frontierland e-ticket (Western River maybe?.) There is also speculation of a new DHS land that will go where Animation Courtyard is/was and expand behind that.

August 29, 2016, 11:59 PM

The only things I'd put money on at this point are the confirmed changes: Pandora (and probably Rivers of Light) at DAK, and Toy Story, Star Wars, the new parking entrance and name change at DHS. AJ's timelines are spot on.

The Great Movie Ride and Rock n' Roller Coaster overlays seem more likely than not, to me, but I'm not ready to report them as done deals yet. AFAIK, everything else is spitballing at this point. Make up whatever you want to believe, and you might be as accurate as some of the stuff floating around out there.

August 30, 2016, 5:07 AM

I find it interesting that Toy Story Land will be done before Star Wars Land.

August 30, 2016, 7:48 AM

Thank you for all your information AJ! I wonder what the Great Movie Ride and Rock n' Roll Rollercoaster new themes will be?

August 30, 2016, 9:18 AM

I've heard from reliable sources that the Rock n' Rollercoaster will be themed to Hannah Montana. Robert Iger is a huge Miley Cyrus fan.

August 30, 2016, 1:50 PM

I feel like Hannah Montana is rather unlikely. As Hannah Montana, no new songs have been released in years, and Miley Cyrus is, honestly, pretty un-Disney. It doesn't match the vibe Disney has always striven for.

August 30, 2016, 2:08 PM

I agree with DPCC Inc, Hannah Montana seems very unlikely. Hannah Montana hasn't been popular in many years, in fact; Disney rarely airs the show. It may be on possibly at 2:00 am, but who's really watching it then? Also, Miley has not been associated with Disney in quite some time. To me, it seems very unlikely.

August 30, 2016, 2:52 PM

You guys are kidding with your doubts about Hannah Montana taking over for Rock n' Rollercoaster right...

August 30, 2016, 6:26 PM

Guys, the Hannah Montana comment was a joke

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive