Rock n Roller Coaster Theory

September 2, 2016, 5:01 AM

Hey everybody!

While driving to work yesterday, I was thinking about Rock n Roller Coaster's fate (strange I know). There have been rumors that Aerosmith are going to be taken out and something new is going to replace them.

Why not Guardians of the Galaxy?

East Mississippi agreement aside, Disney could overlay the ride and use Peter Quill's Awesome Mixtape as the new sound track. They can switch around a few scenery pieces and pretty much keep the rest intact.

I do not know if it was floated around out there, but I would personally rather sacrifice Rock n Roller Coaster to the Guardians fans than Tower of Terror, something I think is a HORRIBLE idea by DCA.

Replies (7)

Edited: September 2, 2016, 6:50 AM

I'm suprised they didn't close the ride and start the conversion of the ride the day they realized Steven Tyler made a sex gesture in the pre-show clip! All kidding aside, this makes much more sense than ToT. the Twlight Zone remains timeless. It may not be a Disney Property, but it's one of the most popular Disney rides. And it's safe to assume CBS doesn't mind getting paid for the IP when the ride helps keeps the franchise in the public eye. It's a win win for them. On the other hand, Aerosmith is a great band, but RaRC is not a ride that will withstand the test of time. GotG may not do this either, but it makes much more sense to revamp a ride with a theme that is losing public interest, to one that is currently very popular. So I'm all for this.

September 2, 2016, 7:14 AM

Thanks Anthony - now those damn songs are stuck in my head...
'Lips as sweet as candy, It's taste is on my mind'.....

This needs to become "The Millennium Falcon" attraction.

September 2, 2016, 12:53 PM

That would be awesome. No offense to Areosmith but it's a dead brand. Gardians had a great soundtrack.

September 2, 2016, 2:44 PM

I would support this change to the ride, it sounds like a great idea. However Robert Iger has his own plans to change it into the Hannah Montana Rockin' Rollercoaster. All is not lost though. I've heard that sometimes a train will randomly play "Party in the USA" instead of one of the many songs from the hit tv series.

September 5, 2016, 8:27 PM

Mr. Murphy, the phrase "great minds think alike" pops up every now and then.

James Trexen, May 13 (in a separate thread discussing the Guardians switch): "If Disney wants a GOTG ride so bad and they don't want to build one from scratch, may I suggest swapping out Rock n Roller Coaster instead? Aerosmith is a way more tired IP than the Twilight Zone. To make it work, theme it to a space chase against Yondu while playing music from Quill's mixtape. It'd be a better move than losing Tower of Terror."

September 6, 2016, 4:56 PM

Totally did not remember that!

September 6, 2016, 11:47 PM

It sounds like since GotG is going to have an appearance in one of the Avengers: Infinity War movies (at least), it would tie them to the Avengers' family, and thus prevent them from having a place within the Orlando parks.

If this is the case, would Disney be able to re-theme Rockin Roller Coaster to something that makes people think of Guardians, but without actually using the name or characters?

The Awesome Mix Tape can be the new music, but without the rights to use the real characters or likenesses, would it even work or be worth it?

If not, how about "Wreck It Ralph"? It could have alternating soundtracks from the various video games within the movie, and perhaps the queue could include a sort of video game museum, and you could ride through different game scenes. It's indoors, and they only light up the areas that you're approaching, so I think it could work.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive