Los Angeles 2024 Olympics and SoCal Parks

September 8, 2016, 1:45 PM

Would LA being awarded the 2024 Olympics next year affect plans for development at Disneyland/Universal over the next decade in any way?

Replies (4)

September 9, 2016, 12:12 AM

I can't imagine that it would. It may prove a bit of a deadline for them to get big projects built by, and I doubt they'll have any significant rides down. Marketing will also be targeted towards it, but I doubt any significant changes will occur.

September 9, 2016, 11:33 AM

Too early to tell. I would think the parks wouldn't want to debut anything huge that summer, given that the area would be booked with Olympic tourists anyway. That might encourage parks to aim for 2023 for a big debut, though.

September 10, 2016, 7:15 PM

If anything, I think it would affect resort development rather than park development. For instance, I could see either Disneyland or USH having a new hotel open that year and offer special deals for it in order to lure visitors to the resort. However, as out of town guests are unlikely to base their decision to visit on a new addition, it is more likely the parks will take a year off from anything big so locals aren't turned off by tourist traffic.

Edited: September 11, 2016, 9:29 AM

They would likely have festivals and/or celebrations for the athletes like Disney does with Superbowl champs. However, Olympic games typically don't result in huge tourist bonanzas for their host cities since non-Olympics visitors usually avoid the cities where the games are being held. For example,London actually saw a net drop in tourism during its games.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive