Disneyland Hawaii

September 11, 2016, 5:16 PM

Since Disney has a hotel already in place in Hawaii (Aulani), would they ever consider building a Disney park on the island of Oahu?

Hawaii would make any theme park a great destination. The weather is wonderful year round, the beauty of Hawaii is undeniable, and the location to Honolulu, and the airport, makes it a great location. Hawaii is paradise, one of the most visited places in the world. Who wouldn't want to go to Hawaii? Much less Disneyland Hawaii?

Disneyland Hawaii would make it the third Disneyland Resort in the United States. If they built Disneyland Hawaii, I believe they would make it similar to Shanghai Disneyland, with an interactive castle, and new and innovative attractions.

Disneyland Hawaii would be a great addition to the Disney corporation. The question is, will it ever happen? I hope someday it will. There's only one thing left to say - Aloha!

Replies (26)

September 11, 2016, 6:32 PM

Nah it would never happen. First off, Disney is done making new resorts in the US. WDW satisfies the East Coast and DLR satisfies the West Coast. If anything they would make a park is Texas, which is still very unlikely.

Secondly, Hawaii just doesn't work. Land in Hawaii is expensive and there's not that much of it, so it would be really expensive for Disney to make a park. Also, Hawaii has a lot of cool wildlife, and I'm not sure that the people of Hawaii would be OK with people destroying all that nature for an amusement park. Hawaii is also very hilly, which doesn't work well with Disney parks. Plus Hawaii is pretty far from the East Coast, where most people live. For example, a flight from NYC to Hawaii is about 12 hours. Also, no one going to visit Disneyland Hawaii just cause they're in Hawaii. If you don't believe me, just look at Disneyland Paris! Tons of tourists visit Paris every year, but I doubt that many of them go to Disneyland Paris.

So yeah, a Disney park is Hawaii just simply doesn't make sense. The American market is just too full, land in Hawaii is too difficult to use for a theme park, and people aren't going to waste a day in Hawaii going to a Disney park.

September 11, 2016, 7:40 PM

If Disney were to build another resort, I think it'd be another Aulani-type resort, one without an actual park. Maybe Australia / New Zealand or a Scandinavian country.

September 11, 2016, 7:43 PM

Only the Big Island has the space, but much of the land is off limits due to volcano. Oahu cannot support a thene park. What theme will it have? It can't be anything other than Hawaii. It is completely wrong to have a Medieval Castle in Hawaii. So it is a singular theme park. There's already the Polynesian Village. Having been to Aulani, it is an entirely new creation and it is sensitive to Hawaiian sensibilities. Disney can definitely expand upon the concept with another resort at Waikiki or a new resort at Maui. Aulani is a gem. It shouldn't be a theme park.

September 12, 2016, 3:42 AM

It's also far too remote. If you're in California or the west coast, why go to Hawaii when it's so much cheaper and easier to go to Disneyland? If you're in Japan or China, why go to Hawaii when you can go to Shanghai? Or if you're in Thailand/Philippines/Taiwan, Universal Studios Singapore and Hong Kong Disneyland are closer.

I think Aulani was the right play for Disney Hawaii. It'd be really cool if they could have a nice dark ride like Mystic Manor or Ratatouille. Sort of like a miniland that you'd find within a park. But nothing larger than that, and I don't even see that happening.

Hawaii and theme parks would simply be a terrible pairing. But a Disney resort + Hawaii = Aulani. :)

September 12, 2016, 9:45 AM

This isn't a good idea. People don't go to Hawaii to go to amusement parks. This would turn into a Myrtle Beach, Hard Rock park disaster.

Even Aulani isn't all that impressive. Works for the Disneyphiles, and the vacation club folk, but I'm one that doesn't want Goofy and Donald to show up at the pool with me. All the major hotel brands (apart from IHG?) have way better offerings for people on the islands.

September 12, 2016, 9:47 AM

Juan says, "Plus Hawaii is pretty far from the East Coast, where most people live". Nevermind LA is the second most populated city in the US behind NY. Lol.

September 12, 2016, 1:25 PM

I understand what everyone is saying, and you all make valid points, however, I feel Disneyland Hawaii would be successful. Juan Hamilton, Disneyland Paris is one of the most tourist attractions in Europe, not to mention the world. In fact; it's the number 16th most visited tourist attraction in the world, according to Business Insider http://www.businessinsider.com/the-50-most-visited-tourist-attractions-in-the-world-2014-3.

Much of Disney World's and Disneyland's attendance is international. For example, many tourists who visit Disneyland come from Mexico. In addition, many tourists come from Asia, and Australia as well. Many Australians visit California every year, and typically Disneyland and San Francisco are at the top of their lists. I've been to Disneyland and Disney World many, many times, and there is always a larger number of international travelers. Everyone who visits the parks are not just from America. Many Europeans visit the United States. On my trips overseas, especially England, i've met people who visit America often. Since they have children, Disney World and Disneyland are one of their sought out destinations.

In the same sense, many tourists who visit Disney World come from the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, and other parts of Europe. I know first hand, i've met many individuals from other countries. Again, Disney World tourists are not just Americans. People travel from all over the world to visit both Disney World and Disneyland. Many visitors who visit Disney World come from Latin America, especially Brazil. Canada is also a country where many tourists come from to visit Disney World.

I, myself, live in New York, and have traveled to Hawaii. Yes, it's a long flight (10 hours). However, it's worth the long journey. Many Americans who live on the west coast travel to Hawaii. If they are traveling with children, why wouldn't they visit Disneyland Hawaii? Some children might get bored al day at the beach. If there is a Disneyland there, i'm almost positive children would want to go visit the park.

There are Disney parks in Asia, including the best Disney Resort in the world (Tokyo Disneyland). Yet, many people from Asia visit both Disneyland and Disney World. Whenever I'm at the parks, I always notice a large Asian population. They have some of the best parks in the world, yet...they still visit Disney parks in America.

The idea is that people who visit from other countries don't just come to visit Disney. They visit other attractions and cities in the United States. That's what i'm trying to say about Disneyland Hawaii, and why I feel it would be successful. People will not visit Hawaii just for Disneyland, they will visit Pearl Harbor, the beaches, and volcanoes, to name a few. Not every person who comes to California visits just Disneyland. They go to LA, San Diego, the beaches, San Francisco, Yosemite, Hollywood, etc.

I do believe Disneyland Hawaii would be successful. I hope it happens one day.

September 12, 2016, 3:20 PM

I could not see Disneyland Hawaii being successful. That's not to say that Disney couldn't build a park in Hawaii, and I think a small park (30-40 acres) themed to Polynesia could probably work. However, an entire Magic Kingdom would likely be a flop for a variety of reasons.

First off, assuming the park would be built near the Aulani resort on Oahu, there just isn't enough local population to support it. While the Disney parks are destination parks, with the exception of Walt Disney World they also rely heavily on the local population for revenue, particularly outside of peak tourist times. Looking at the existing Disney parks, all of them have a sizable local population. In fact, within 50 miles of each resort, the population is...

California: 15.2 million
Florida: 2.8 million
Tokyo: 35.8 million
Paris: 12.1 million
Hong Kong: 23.7 million
Shanghai: 21.5 million
Aulani: 0.9 million

In fact, there are more people within 50 miles of each Disney resort than that live in the entire state of Hawaii, and sometimes the difference is an order of magnitude. A full size park simply wouldn't be able to survive outside of tourist season.

Secondly, how do you convince people to visit Disneyland Hawaii instead of another Disney Resort? Most people planning a Disney vacation are likely to opt for the Disney resort that is closest to them, and if not they will usually go for the biggest. There would be very little reason for anyone to pick a park in Hawaii over another resort, as there will almost always be a closer (and likely more impressive) Disney park. Sure, you can target those visiting Hawaii for other reasons, but you'd have to look at the demographics to see whether they are people who would take time out of their vacation to visit a Disney park if one existed.

Lastly, take a look at where people are coming from. If it's a lot of west coast residents visiting Hawaii, a Disneyland would be a very tough sell. If it's people from China or Japan, it also wouldn't be a draw. You would need enough people who don't have regular exposure to Disney yet are willing to take a day out of their relaxing Hawaiian vacation to visit the park in order for it to be successful. I don't have any numbers, but I've got a feeling it is probably a small wedge of the pie.

So, in the end, a Disney park in Hawaii would need to be small enough to be supported by the limited local population, yet still be appealing to both them and tourists, and be constructed on a reasonable budget despite the fact that the usual money conserving measures would likely not be able to be implemented as the park would need to be designed from the ground up. It is not impossible, but it is so risky that I think the chance of such a park ever being built is slim to none. Not everywhere is a good fit for a theme park.

September 12, 2016, 4:31 PM

AJ, how come Disney never built another theme park in Europe? Let's say Spain or Italy? The climate would better support a Disney theme park, as opposed to France. I've visited Disneyland Paris and enjoyed it, but the weather wasn't so great when I was there. I would think Spain would have been a better choice to have built a Disney park.

September 12, 2016, 4:33 PM

As others have said, Hawaii just isn't a financially feasible location for a Disney theme park, or any theme park. While rumors of a Texas Disney resort have been going around ever since Disney World was leaked, it would make the most sense, given the population and climate of Texas. Back to Hawaii, there isn't the space to build a Disneyland park, or the poplucation to support it. Disney does not think there is a demand in Texas to justify building a new theme park resort there(yet). If Disney won't build a park in Texas, there's way it would ever decide to a build park in Hawaii. It's just too far away from a large enough poplucation to ever be profitable.

September 12, 2016, 6:05 PM

Timbo23, my understanding is that Disney looked at several sites throughout Europe and decided upon Paris both because they felt it was best for their purposes and because they got the most incentives there. As for why another hasn't been built, there simply isn't enough demand for it. Not only is it relatively easy for almost all of Europe to reach Paris, but there are also numerous destination theme parks dotted around the continent. Unlike the US, many major theme parks are destination resorts in Europe. While not always part of international chains, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, and the United Kingdom all have at least one, but France lacks a destination theme park other than Disney.

Edited: September 12, 2016, 7:23 PM

The other option is purchase Sea Life Park Hawaii and rename it as DisneySea Life Park Hawaii. Just make good use of its existing spaces and build some new marine type attractions. Every time I visit Hawaii, I never make it there. Just too many other things to see. Or buyout Wet and Wild and use the land for something else. The water park already competes with Aulani.

September 12, 2016, 8:06 PM

In reply to timbo23:

As AJ noted, a lot of Disneyland Paris' visitors come from Europe. That's why it's so high on the most visited parks list, not because a lot of Americans are going there.

September 12, 2016, 8:10 PM

I would love for a Disney park to be developed in Hawaii, but I doubt it will ever happen. Hawaii is a wonderful place, and already draws a significant amount of tourism, but unlikely enough to support a Disney Park. As such, Disney would have to draw more tourists to Hawaii.

Given that most tourists visiting Hawaii (other then from the US) are from Australasia, and there are now 3 Disney resorts (4 parks) in this region, I don't see there being the demand for more.

Edited: September 13, 2016, 4:34 AM

Juan Hamilton, Disneyland Paris is not only listed as one of the most visited theme parks, it's listed as one of the most visited tourist attractions in the world. It's listed as number 16, other attractions on that list include the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Times Square, etc. I'm sure many of its visitors come from Europe, however, I'm sure Americans visit as well, which includes myself. Especially families traveling to Europe with children. If they are traveling to France, more than likely they will visit Disneyland Paris. That's what I did with my children. Especially since Disneyland is a short train ride away from the city of Paris.

September 13, 2016, 8:16 AM

There is no short train ride to Hawaii. There are no major roads leading to Hawaii. There are no short boat rides even between all of the islands. It's not feasible.

September 13, 2016, 8:24 AM

Hawaii residents didn't want a cheap ferry system between the islands. They defeated a proposal to allow a ferry system. The main concern was thieves can steal from residents and shift goods to another island without detection. The only way to island hop is use the airlines.

September 13, 2016, 1:29 PM

Aulani is on the west side of Oahu. It should be noted that further north on the west side is considered the bad area of Oahu. It would be interesting if Disney decides to develop that area and instantly turn it into a good area. There is an undeveloped tract of land off Paakea Rd.

There are also 4 or 5 plots of undeveloped land east of Aulani. Maybe the one plot of land immediately adjacent to Aulani would be the best place to expand.

Edited: September 13, 2016, 1:52 PM

When you think of a trip to Hawaii, you think of beaches, surf and sand. Not a theme park. I love theme parks but there is no way I would be able to convince my family to take a day out of a Hawaii vacation to visit one unless it was over the top amazing! As others have mentioned, land is too limited for that.

However, if we are talking about a water park I think that idea might have some potential. I think I could sell the family on a day or partial day of a well themed area. It would need to be amazing. You are competing with some of the most astounding natural beauty in the world. Again, I doubt Disney would be willing to make the necessary investment to make this a reality.

September 13, 2016, 2:09 PM

Okay, so Disney most likely wouldn't make a theme park in Hawaii. Hey, but you got to admit...if they ever did, it would be an awesome park!

September 13, 2016, 2:12 PM

Of course it would be awesome. It'd be a bad investment though.

September 13, 2016, 4:38 PM

Yeah it's listed as one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world because its visited by people all across Europe, not necessarily Americans. And people like you and me visited Disneyland Paris because we're theme park enthusiasts! I highly doubt that the average American would visit Disneyland Paris if they ever went to Paris.

September 13, 2016, 6:00 PM

That's probably true. It's too bad, they're missing out on two great parks!

September 15, 2016, 8:46 AM

No

September 28, 2016, 12:25 PM

Hard pass

Edited: September 28, 2016, 11:08 PM

Thrillride.com had an interview with Randall Duell and Ira West of R. Duell and Associates. The design the Six Flags and Busch Garden parks. They once design a theme park for Hawaii back in the day. Check out the concept.

Even if it was Disney. I like to have seen Magic Gardens theme park to just to have another attraction while visiting Hawaii. Who knows, maybe Disney would have brought them later for made it into there own park.
Here's the link of that interview.
1982 Interview with Randall Duell and Ira West of R. Duell and Associatesr

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive