I'm going to my first theme park Halloween event, any tips for a wuss?

September 17, 2016, 6:25 AM

I'm going to Halloweekends, if I don't like it I'll just ride Millennium Force instead.

Replies (11)

Edited: September 17, 2016, 8:21 PM

1. Close your eyes.
2. Sit on the benches.
3. Stand behind someone tall.
4. Dress like a man. The scare actors usually chase after easy prey and cute girls.
5. Or get some girls to join the group and let them get the brunt of the scares (hide behind their skirt).
6. Give your ticket to someone else.

September 17, 2016, 9:31 PM

Anon does have some good tips. Hiding next to someone bigger does help. Depressants may also do the trick if you are of legal age...

Edited: September 18, 2016, 12:12 PM

Thousand-yard stare. Look like you have somewhere to go, that it's important and you don't have time to fool around. It helps if you're a middle-aged guy wearing dress pants, too. Everyone will just figure you're a supervisor and revert to total SOP behavior.

Happens to me all the time. ;^)

Seriously, though, try a house and if it isn't for you, hit up the rides! Wait time tend to be shorter than usual on the regular attractions during haunts and they're a great alternative if you don't care for the scares. Have fun!

September 18, 2016, 12:45 PM

don't freak out. If you do, the other scare actors will see it and target you.

September 18, 2016, 2:08 PM

I'd recommend going with friends to get your mind off it

September 18, 2016, 3:08 PM

Based on my experience, I'd say...

1. Don't go alone. Visit with a small group, as it is both more fun and less intimidating.

2. Don't make yourself a target. If you are obviously nervous, actors will come after you. If you just walk through a scare zone normally, you may still get an actor or two, but they won't likely gang up on you.

3. If you go through the mazes, expect to be scared. A Haunt maze is essentially a walk-through attraction with live actors, and their goal is to make the experience feel real. Even if you're hyper vigilant and constantly on the lookout for hidden actors, expect a fair number to jump at you.

4. Remember, the actors are there to startle you. They will not touch you, and they will not hurt you. Most of the time, you'll jump and possibly shout, then you'll be able to laugh about it with your friends.

5. If all else fails, at many events you can purchase a "No Boo Necklace," which will prevent any actors from attempting to scare you. This will allow you to pass through the scare zones freely.

September 19, 2016, 12:35 PM

I was a little freaked out too my first time at horror nights. I had a few drinks. It helped a lot.

September 19, 2016, 8:11 PM

My brother is a former scare actor at Fright Fest. If you look calm and like you have somewhere to go, they usually do not come after you. After all, you might be going somewhere to spend money in the park :) My brother used to chase people into the gift shops.

Also, remember that it is all pretend. It is just people in costumes and makeup. If it makes you feel any better, watch youtube.

By the way, I scare very easily too and I am not a small guy! :)

September 20, 2016, 11:18 AM

Eat a large and heavy meal at the park before you take on the scares. Pasta and dumplings with cheese and meat kind of thing...with hot sauce.

September 20, 2016, 12:16 PM

Well I am going with three of my friends, guess that will help.
@Robert
I'm not middle aged so that won't work...
But yeah I'll try one of the houses and if not, there's always Maverick and Millennium.

September 22, 2016, 8:26 AM

Don't assault a Clown just because they scare you

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive