Best new stuff in Orlando over the past 12 months?

September 22, 2016, 3:24 PM

I'm planning my annual trip to Orlando for the IAAPA convention in November and putting together a list of the new stuff over the past 12 months that I need to check out. I usually do a better job of visiting Central Florida more than once a year, but I'm admit, I slipped this year.

So what should I include on my to-do list? I've got Kong and Hulk over at the Universal Orlando, along with Toothsome. And I'd love to eat at Tiffins at Animal Kingdom and (I hope) see Rivers of Light, if it debuts. A walk around Disney Springs seems to be a must, too.

What else?

Replies (9)

September 22, 2016, 5:49 PM

Have you done Mako?

September 22, 2016, 9:04 PM

No. But is it different enough from other B&M hypers to be worth the ticket to SeaWorld?

September 25, 2016, 8:33 AM

The eye in Orlando but this has been open for a bit and it is somewhat costly..

September 25, 2016, 7:48 PM

Disney Springs has some really good new places!

September 25, 2016, 8:38 PM

Frozen Ever After and Soarin Over the World are both new at EPCOT.

September 25, 2016, 9:48 PM

The new Animal Kingdom water show should be open. Check out progress with Avatar. Maybe checkout the Star Wars fireworks show at DHS and Star Wars Land construction progress. New castle show at MK. New Adventureland restaurant.

September 26, 2016, 11:08 AM

I've just returned from 10 days. Frozen's fun - more or less what you'd expect, but I guess that's the point. I never understood the love for Maelstrom, so appreciated the step up in quality. Galactic Spectacular at DHS was surprisingly good - I'd recommend sticking around for it if you make it to the park. Probably not worth a trip by itself though. (Also, timing it so it can't be done on the same evening as Fantasmic? Cruel move, Disney.)

Disney Springs was such a disappointment and missed opportunity. Boathouse and Jock Lindsey's are nice, but the place otherwise just feels like any other upmarket outlet joint. Have a wander, sure, but don't plan for hours.

The great revelation for me was DAK at night. You'll probably catch Rivers - but if not, the upside is that you'll get to take in the gorgeous evening work they've done with the place, with the smallest crowds that park will ever see. The projection stuff on the tree is gorgeous - I only saw two of the sequences (apparently there are four) and wished I'd planned to watch for longer.

I had a wander round Tiffins, but didn't eat there as the food seems kind of standard for the price. Had a drink and some bites in Nomad though, which was a highlight. (Get the pork ribs!) Watching the sunset from the veranda there was possibly my favourite moment of the whole trip, even with the Avatar cranes in the way.

September 26, 2016, 3:33 PM

My friend who recently returned from Disney said he wished he had an extra day just to spend at Disney Springs. He said it really is that good

October 6, 2016, 9:10 AM

Robert Niles: You should really try Mako, I`m a coaster enthusiast and I think this is a really smooth roller coaster and one of the best I`ve ride, speedy and soft at the same time, I was there this past august and will be back in january next year :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive