The separation between Universal and Disney

June 2, 2014, 9:11 PM

I will start this article out by first saying I am a fan all Orlando Theme parks. I love being on vacation in Orlando, the sun, the food, the shops, the rides, the resorts, the pools…

Anyway we have been going to Orlando for 8 days every year for the last 10 years. I have seen many changes and tried several resorts. Seeing all the changes in the Theme parks has got me thinking.

To me Universal Orlando has been making so many fantastic changes and additions. Pure excitement for a theme park fan. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is the best theming I have even seen: Butterbeer, pumpkin juice, wands, the Forbidden Journey attraction, castles, snowy rooftops, Dragon Challenge, and more. And of coursem the soon-to-be-open Diagon Alley.

Plus revamping some old classics like Back to the Future, which is now the Simpsons, Jimmy Neutron, now Minion Mayhem, adding the Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket coaster and a new Simpsons area and Transformers. Plus they updated Spider-Man to high definition. Let’s just say Universal Orlando has been busy and making some great decisions.

Disney has some classic parks and provides some great entertainment. Don’t get me wrong, I like WDW, but it appears Universal caters to more of an adult crowd while Disney is more interested in the younger folks. There is nothing wrong with going after a targeted audience. Universal is just a bit more exciting for my liking. Disney has more options plus water parks. Universal also has City Walk which is primarily for adults and night life.

I am wondering about the future of each, Will Universal keep going after young adults and adults, while Disney stays focused on young families? A healthy competition is great for all theme park fans.

Replies (1)

June 3, 2014, 5:28 AM

I agree with you, Brian, but with one caveat. Disney doesn't market their parks to people, they market their parks to strollers and ECVs. The people are just caretakers for the vehicles. They have to go stand in these things called queues while the strollers and ECVs sun themselves on the asphalt beach.

Last time I was in New Fantasyland a month ago, it was so crowded with strollers and ECVs that it looked like a parking lot. But hey, like TH Creative is fond of reminding us, it is free parking! ;^)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive