Good Attractions for guests with Autism

Edited: December 22, 2016, 5:19 PM

Hey Everybody!

I am helping a friend with some suggestions for rides to get Fastpass+ for their upcoming trip. Her son is on the milder part of the spectrum, but I was wondering if there is anybody else out there who has had good or bad experiences with attractions at Walt Disney World.

I also know that the Autism spectrum is very wide and very individualized so I know there isn't a "one size fits all" answer. Just curious!

Replies (8)

December 23, 2016, 7:05 AM

If it was possible to let the performers know in advance that her son has autism, I can imagine Enchanted Tales might be great. I've seen similar kinds of shows in theatres solicit some amazing responses from kids with autism.

December 25, 2016, 5:37 AM

I have Autism too and had a great time at the Junior Coaster, where they let you in Immeadetly with RAP if wait time is 30 min or less and I think to remember right, that they even let ride you twice without going around

December 26, 2016, 1:42 PM

Jungle Cruise and Kilimanjaro Safari. Natural environments. Nice pacing. Living Seas might work as well.

December 26, 2016, 4:47 PM

I have Autism

December 26, 2016, 4:51 PM

Asperger Syndrome, to be exact.

January 3, 2017, 2:50 PM

Hope this helps:

The Living Seas Exhibits at EPCOT
Enchanted Tales at The Magic Kingdom
The jungle cruise is great except for a short part at the end which is in the dark.
Riverboat ride at The Magic Kingdom
The train ride at The Magic Kingdom

At Walt Disney World you can call in advance to speak to park employees about accomadations for children with alzheimers and they can help you and your friend select rides that also fit her son's needs. They can aso tell you the other things that can make your visit more enjoyable such as letting your friend and her son go onto a ride right away if the line exceeds a half an hour. The Cast Members are really excepting of children with special needs. My suggestion is to call ahead for the best answers and experience.

January 3, 2017, 6:53 PM

My son has Asperger Syndrome, we have taken him to WDW twice since 2010. We did not find any issues with the actual rides as much as with the wait times. We let him take his DS or now his phone and play games while waiting in the lines. He is kept distracted and the delay doesn't affect him as much.

I know we could have gotten one of the old "line jumper" passes for disabled guests but we decided against it as there is no line jumping in life and so he needed to learn to be patient. It was not easy for him, us or others in the park but he needed to learn and I feel that others need to learn to be patient with people who don't fit into their idea of "normal".

Sorry for the rant but don't hold him back from any of the rides my son was 9 years old in 2010 and he enjoyed every ride once on it. Sorry to the Disney die hard fans but his favorite Orlando ride is Spiderman.

January 4, 2017, 5:12 PM

Thanks! I think my friend's son is ok with standing in line. He has been to Great America a few times so he probably will be ok. I think she is wondering more about him getting "bored" while stuck on a ride

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive