Hall of Presidents

January 4, 2017, 11:43 AM

As all of youn know, the U.S. will have a new president on January 20. No matter what your political views are, we can agree there are strong feelings, both positive and negative about our new president.

I think the attraction doesn't belong at the Magic Kingdom. Disney isn't really the place fo political issues. The Hall of Presidents is different than Mr. Lincoln because the only president it features died a century before the attraction opened. Most Americans regardless of political party can admire Lincoln, while hall of Presidents is likely to upset everyone at least a little bit. Having an attraction featuring the current president may have been okay in the past, but this country is becoming too politically divided to keep it. Let Trump be in the attraction for a year or two, and then close it and replace it with something with less controversy.

Replies (55)

January 4, 2017, 12:26 PM

"Most Americans, regardless of political party"
More like ALL of Americans.
Totally agree. Keep it to Lincoln. He was known as a great speaker.

January 4, 2017, 1:09 PM

I'm sure there may be some Americans in certain southern states that don't admire Lincoln. Hard to ignore the divisiveness that his presidency saw.

As for Trump, the USA elected him, you have to wear it.

Edited: January 4, 2017, 1:10 PM

Nope. Totally opposed to the idea of closing it.

Politics has always been divisive. The problem nowadays is that some people have extremely thin skin (like the ones who tell us not to read and watch Fox News ;)) and they don't have the manners to properly conduct themselves in public places like the Hall of Presidents or when sharing airplanes with Ivanka Trump.

For the last eight years my president has been President Obama. For the next four years, my president will be President Trump. For people on either side of the political spectrum to categorically reject either of them is unpatriotic and foolish.

Let it be, and leave it a nice, relaxing and air-conditioned space where I can rest my feet during a day at the Magic Kingdom, and reflect on the greatness of this country regardless of who's sitting in the Oval Office.

January 4, 2017, 1:16 PM

The attraction only becomes a political issue if you choose to view it as such. If you go in there as someone who just wants to relax and learn a little, you'll love it. If you're people who choose to boo and cheer for certain presidents, you're more of a problem than any audio-animatronic president can. If you know you don't like a president that speaks, then don't go to the attraction.

January 4, 2017, 2:06 PM

I am not from the US and have actually never gone thru the Hall of Presidents attraction but for what it's worth here's my two cents. Mr. Trump was elected by Americans to be the next president from what I have seen on CNN there are a lot that like him as well as those who don't.

Maybe he will surprise people and actually do a good job. He may listen to his advisors and cabinet, put the cell phone and Twitter aside and be a good president or he can keep going as he is and there are going to a lot of comedians with a lot of new material. Either way he deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to do the job he was 'hired' to do.

Keep the attraction.

January 4, 2017, 2:37 PM

I would love to see Donald Trump in the Hall of Presidents attraction. It will be fun and not boring. The thing is we're spoiled on having a non-controversial inspirational speech by our President. We're not expecting an explosive and intense speech from President Trump. You'll likely see the attraction come to fruition since Disney CEO and President Iger will serve on the Trump Administration business consulting panel. Trump and Iger will Make America/Disney Great Again.

January 4, 2017, 3:01 PM

I'll just have to sit out the HOP until after the trump figure finishes having its speaking part. I'm not sure I could stand it.

January 4, 2017, 3:49 PM

I'm with Joe on this one, this only becomes a political issue of you choose to view it as such. Some guests really enjoy the attraction, and I don't believe it's fair to close it just because of how divisive the country is on politics

January 4, 2017, 4:04 PM

The thing that gets really weird is when GWB got applauded and Obama booed. They are robots!

I would hope that Disney would remind everybody to be respectful during this very serious attraction.

Trump is unfortunately going to be the president for at least 4 years. I would recommend all to go and see the HOP to show that he, in robot form, will not put a damper on this great attraction.

The HOP must endure, regardless of what you think of W, Obama, or Trump.

January 4, 2017, 4:07 PM

Also, lets be honest, the Presidents really do not talk that much and when they do, they basically say the same thing (America is great and we need to look to the future).

I am more looking forward to see what speech is going to be spoken by Trump. He really doesn't do the inspirational stuff like W or Obama, at least not yet.

January 4, 2017, 4:47 PM

I am suprised by the responses. I reluctantly voted for Trump, but the thing that worries me is something like people in the audience shouting, booing, yelling "Not my president" or something worse. I'd love it if the Muppets moved inside and replaced HoP, but I know many people would rather keep HoP, and not have it replaced with a puppet show or something else.

Ideally, people should be able to put up with whoever is president for a few minutes. It will be interesting to see if that's the case. I hope so, but I have my doubts.

January 4, 2017, 5:10 PM

The booing and shouting already happens with Obama (and W before). It is cooled down a bit, but it happened.

Perhaps this is a learning lesson Randy. While you are worried about people booing in the HOP, there are people legitimately worried that they are going to be targeted for being gay or being an immigrant.

I know this isn't a political website, but hopefully everybody can see both sides.

In more light hearted fare, there is an excellent parody account on twitter called @hallofprestrump. It actually is pretty clever.

January 4, 2017, 9:41 PM

While Trump was not my candidate, he is my president and I hope everyone remembers that going in. Like Anthony, the only thing that concerns me is the speech he'll give because most of his rallies were not exactly "uplifting."

I must admit, I did a soft boo at Hoover once and was briefly admonished by my father. ;-)

Regardless of whoever is added to the attraction, very few guests visiting the Magic Kingdom go out of their way to see the Hall of Presidents. It's only worth doing during the mid-day when the lines at everything else is brutal and you need an spot to relax with air-conditioning. I'll see the Trump version once, but then will probably wait until they add in the next figure.

The most interesting question now will be: who's going to be the new narrator? Maybe having Tom Hanks do it will ease some of the inevitable tensions.

January 4, 2017, 11:00 PM

Anthony, I try to keep my posts as non political as possible, as hard as that may be with this subject. My concern has nothing to do with being unaware of what others are concerned, I simply tried to focus on how Trump's victory relates to the future of HoP.

January 5, 2017, 2:49 AM

I hope Disney's Trumpbot is designed to spend the entire show Tweeting.

January 5, 2017, 3:01 AM

I'm panicking ever since Trump becomes President. If Trump suggest Sony Pictures and Seth Rogen a movie where Mexicans are antagonists. Mexicans would hack Sony Pictures like the last time.

I wanted peace between Mexicans and Americans, but no. Everyone voted for Trump. Mexicans should live in America

Edited: January 5, 2017, 6:06 AM

Perhaps Disney can provide a "safe space" adjacent to the HOP, one with puppies, coloring books & chocolate for those that are so scared. It could be turned into an upcharge event. At least half of the visitors would be potential customers. lol

January 5, 2017, 7:01 AM

There's always been a sizable contingent of people who are "against" the current President. That is the very nature of our country and open elections. Yet, the HOP has always endured. Despite voting against Trump, I see no need to close the attraction based on his election.

Quite honestly, the primary reason for all of the widespread hysteria is likely due to the fact we have devolved into an entitled, manic, cell-phone and social media addicted, 24-hour profit-driven news media society where everything is under a microscope and everyone has an open platform to voice their opinion, valid and deserving or not. I would strongly suspect that there have been several past Presidents-Elect who elicited similar feelings from parts of our population, yet the lack of a consumer driven and narcissistic forum to spew those feelings at one another worked to lessen the effect. I digress.

All said, I think Rubicon nails it!

January 5, 2017, 10:01 AM

Well, I personally have a huge distaste for the President Elect. Especially since this Butt clown that got 5 deferments to avoid the Vietnam war (PS - I am a veteran of 6 years just so you know).

But I digress, back to if Butt Clown should be in the Hall – I actually have to say Yes add the Butt wipe – if we do not study history, we will simply repeat it.

Therefore, as a reminder of this mistake, we need to put him\it in there… Maybe Disney can get one of those statues of the King has no Balls that were left in several cities and use that for a display…

January 5, 2017, 10:06 AM

Trump can always tweet a 10% discount on all Trump merchandise at the gift store after the show.

Edited: January 5, 2017, 11:53 AM

It's a shame we couldn't get another one like that steely eyed warrior of a 42nd president, Bill Clinton. God knows he was far too brave to get a deferment. He was a Navy Seal during 'Nam wasn't he? If we couldn't get him again, at least we should get the next best thing, his wife.

January 5, 2017, 12:01 PM

Rubi - Now do you agree that 5 deferments to avoid the Vietnam war is excessive?

The last one where he (Butt clown) claimed to have a bad foot was very impressive... So courageous to run for office with a bad foot. I due hope he is okay now.

January 5, 2017, 12:32 PM

Hey Brian, I'm in full agreement with you. I'm sure If Bill had come up for the draft again he would have gladly joined up. I'm positive he would have never filed multiple deferments in view of his opinion of the war (see a copy of his letter to the draft board 12/3/'69). I'm sure he'd never allow then Senator Fulbright to intervene with draft board either.

January 5, 2017, 12:47 PM

*Yawn....
I was unaware Bill was in the running for President.

January 5, 2017, 12:52 PM

I think as contentious and hate filled as the election was, HOP will see an increase on the boos on this President.

Maybe they should wait and add Presidents after they have left office or they have passed away? If wanting to avoid boos and any bad behavior.

January 5, 2017, 1:06 PM

Could of fooled me....but seriously, it would have been interesting if Hillary had won. An animatronic version of her in HOP, would they have placed her by Bill? Maybe holding hands or her sitting in his lap? I know she could have worn a blue dress. oops, I'm sorry never mind.

January 5, 2017, 1:12 PM

"Maybe they should wait and add Presidents after they have left office or they have passed away?"

Like President Madison? The Leftists already want to remove any references to Madison from our college campus because he owned slaves. Madison was a founding member of the Democratic Party and provided intellectual principles.

The Leftist approach to history means no president, recent or past, is safe from disfavor.

January 5, 2017, 4:23 PM

Now no one believes me

January 6, 2017, 3:08 PM

Since Trump has never said anything that would qualify as inclusive or inspiring, Disney must be racking their brains for what he will say in HOP. Him calling Mexicans rapists? Him saying what body parts he likes to grab on women? How he could shoot someone and not lose votes? Maybe they'll play it safe and just have him up there making noises as his AA arms contort to mock someone with a disability.

January 6, 2017, 4:47 PM

The rumor mill is blowing up tonight. The Trumpbot is being programmed to speak, and near the close of his speech a curtain stage left rises to reveal an animatronic Vladimir Putin manning the controls that operate the President-Electric.

January 6, 2017, 5:28 PM

And that's a +1 for TH.

January 7, 2017, 6:11 PM

Well, consider this....

If Hillary Clinton won, wouldn't have been quite an uplifting and striking display seeing 43 men standing around the singular woman on stage, showing how much the American Adventure has come forward.

I truly wonder what the subject matter is going to be for the HOP with a President Trump. They usually change the underlying theme of the attraction once a new president is installed.

Not to kick a hornet nest here, but President Obama is likely going to be in the American Adventure. If Sandra Day O'Connor makes it in there as a trailblazing American, I do not see how they could forget Obama.

Edited: January 9, 2017, 9:29 AM

The Hall of Presidents used to feature the Lincoln speech. Yes, all the Presidents were introduced, but then it all reverted to Lincoln and he gave a quite similar speech to the one at Disneyland (if not the same, I can't quite remember.)

I vote that we introduce Trump, let him nod, then revert to the original show. Abraham Lincoln's words remain inspiring (and dignified) today.

Plus, future updates to the attraction wouldn't be so difficult.

Note: This post may or may not have been manipulated by Russian hackers in order to sway your opinion.

January 10, 2017, 2:19 PM

Guys can we not turn this website into a political debate forum

Edited: January 11, 2017, 12:22 PM

I think it goes without saying that if you don't like the President, then you shouldn't have nominated them. It gripes me to no end that we keep getting nut jobs nominated by members of the opposite party trying to give us people that couldn't possibly be elected. This all came to a head this election season when we had the choice of a bald-faced crook and an ego maniac. Not the choices I would have wanted to pull a President from.

If you want better options, get in on the process earlier, find someone who is not a complete loon, and get them nominated. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

The Office of the President demands and commands respect. Trump is going to get it from me for his 4 years and then we will try to find someone else. All of the bellyaching in the meantime would be much better spent trying to fix the problem for next time. Or you can just forget about whoever is running the show and make this place better with you own efforts. Despite sitting in office for 8 years, the last President had very little impact on my day to day life. The next President will be the same.

The HoP is what it is. Get Trump in there, if for nothing else than a reminder to everyone what happens when you don't participate enough. Democratic Republic, kids, means that if you aren't voting for who represents you, they will still try to represent you. Trump now represents all of us. Congratulations. Quit whining. You have 4 years to do better next time.

January 11, 2017, 12:35 PM

Thumbs up, Jeff!

January 11, 2017, 4:28 PM

"You have 4 years to do better next time." Ha!!!

As long as you have liars trying to become president, Trump will remain President for another 4 years. Hillary represented Globalism and crony capitalism. She will never do what she promises. Populism is the new politics. Unless someone else comes along and outdo Trump, it will be hard to beat Trump 4 years from today. Bernie Sanders has enough credibility in that arena, but he was easily beaten by Hillary.

All Trump has to do is fulfill his promises and continue to beat down other candidates. He'll do it way before the Democrats nominate their next candidate, which is no one viable now.

January 11, 2017, 8:20 PM

Does a sitting president have to go through the same party process to get nomination to run for a second term? Is it possible Trump may not get the Republican nomination on running for a second term (I'm assuming this would only happen in highly unusual circumstances)?

January 11, 2017, 9:47 PM

Yes, but incumbents usually run unopposed or have a weak candidate in their party nomination process. The stronger candidates don't want to blow a chance later whereas weak candidates just want the publicity on the national stage. Always possible, but unlikely for Trump not winning the nomination. The goal posts were actually moved lower. Hillary was nominated despite the investigations into her affairs. Thank Hillary for making it easier for Trump.

January 11, 2017, 10:12 PM

"Despite sitting in office for 8 years, the last President had very little impact on my day to day life. The next President will be the same."

As a gay man who nearly declared bankruptcy from medical bills until the ACA in 2014 allowed him to have heath insurance for the first time in 12 years and has friends who are POC, gay and transgender, I do not share your experience. Myself and people I care about are directly threatened by this new administration. And I campaigned hard and volunteered for HRC because of these threats.

Edited: January 12, 2017, 7:57 AM

To beat out a sitting President from the same party is tough, because usually the people who run against the President are also people who also have a political need for the President until they are out of office. Outsiders are the only ones with a chance. Since Trump is an outsider, the next nomination process might be different, with more establishment candidates throwing their hat into the ring.

@Roy: The Supreme Court of the United States is where you really need to be concerned. They are the ones keeping our liberties for us. Not the President. Unfortunately, insurance is a type of gambling and benefits few but the insurance companies. Instead of talking about low cost health insurance (which, under the current system the prices are escalating faster than before), what we really need to be talking about is reasonably priced health care.

To get health care prices under control, you need to curb costs. Trump is already getting in the face of pharmaceutical companies over escalated costs (and profits), but at the same time, the hospitals needs to pay doctors enough for them to pay back 8 years of expensive schooling to do what they do as well as cover the costs of malpractice insurance. If we had a program that paid back student loans (or kept them from accruing in the first place) and limited the liability of doctors and their need for multi-million dollar malpractice insurance policies, the costs would come down rapidly. ((But the lawyers running the show for the last century would never want to limit what they can earn in court.))

January 14, 2017, 8:58 AM

It is getting hot over here.

Anon, are you Michael Eisner?

Seriously, who is Anon Mouse? The only way you can have a alias on this site is if revealing your name might put some professional jeopardy in the Theme Park Industry. For example, I know TH Creative is in the industry. I get that. What do you do that makes you able to hide behind that name? Anon seems to always take the counterpoint to every discussion or story posted on this site?

Again folks, we are cheering/booing a robot. Nobody cares. There is a million other consequential things you can do if you approve/dispprove of the current resident of the White House.

January 14, 2017, 1:50 PM

No, I'm Mike Iger. I don't get your complaint. Am I the only one having the opposite opinion? Then you should be happy to fall in line with the other robot commentators here. Not only do you think alike, you follow orders too. Great. Who pays for your opinion?

January 14, 2017, 2:40 PM

Wait, Mike Iger. Son of Bob Iger, Ceo of Disney?

January 14, 2017, 2:43 PM

All I really wonder is, where are they going to get the materials to make the wig???????

January 16, 2017, 5:28 AM

Okay, so I'm going to be honest. I am one of the "Disney people". And everyone I know talks about the Hall of Presidents as a joke. I've thought it should have been shut down for a long time. And now that he's going to be there, it would definitely cause too much controversy to continue operation. If they had to remove "Ginger, she snaps." from the Jungle Cruise for an accidental mistake that was warned against, Mr.Trump cannot continue the Hall of Presidents.

January 16, 2017, 5:52 AM

I haven't witnessed this much apoplexy or consternation since 1980.

January 17, 2017, 11:47 AM

I know, Rubicon, the libs were frothing at the mouth when Ronald Reagan got elected president, and they predicted that the world would come to an end in a nuclear war. Turns out, he was one of the greatest presidents in our history, and his actions ultimately led to the end of the Soviet Union and the defeat of communism as a world-wide movement.

I don't expect Donald Trump to be on the same level as President Reagan, but at least he's rescued us from the malaise of President Obama and prevented the wholesale sellout of American power to contributors to the Clinton Foundation that would have happened if Hilary had been elected.

A piece of advice to the "thinskins" out there. Relax. Drink some herbal tea. Watch some Michael Moore documentaries and old Meryl Streep and Jane Fonda movies. Reconnect with your old Occupy Wall Street buddies. Meditate extensively and practice your denial of reality skills. And then, in about 12 years, the Republicans will start acting like the Democrats, lose their base, and a new liberal hero will resurrect the Democratic party from the ashbin of history. Hey! That's only 4383 days away! Start the countdown now!

Edited: January 17, 2017, 12:52 PM

I think Disney is now scared to shut down the Hall of Presidents as it would seem like a slam on whatever the current administration is.

To be honest, I haven't ever sat through the show, would be hard pressed to find it on the park map, and I really don't care if they put something different there.

Wouldn't that round the table to p!$$ed off indignant people if they tore out Hall of Presidents and put another Frozen meet and greet in there?

January 17, 2017, 4:47 PM

The Hall of Presidents is a classic attraction of Walt Disney World. We need to stop with the slaughtering of anything at Disney that is quasi educational. Stop aiming for the lowest common denominator.

Maybe if more people would go to the Hall of Presidents, we wouldn't find ourselves in this pickle we are in now.

With any hope, I still know how these discussion boards work and I will be the last post before it is archived.

Bye!

January 17, 2017, 4:47 PM

Damn it!

Edited: January 17, 2017, 8:32 PM

@Anthony....WHY? For the love of Pete, tell me why we need to force feed education? Why not make education fun and then more people would be willing to do it. You are in a theme park after all, why can't we just love the themes and amusements and go home at the end of the day. We now have people wanting to hold on tight to things that few people like just for the sheer glee of being contentious with everyone else who is not the high degree of purest they are. I think there was a lot of things to learn from this week's news of the demise of the Ringling Brothers Circus. It is proof that if you don't change to meet the needs of a changing audience you are merely bringing about your own demise. Ringling Brothers refused to change until it was too late. Don't let the same thing happen to your favorite park.

Edited: January 18, 2017, 7:46 AM

Disney along with other Theme Park companies will get rid of attractions for a few reasons.

1. Is it still popular?
2. Cost to run and maintain.
3. Do they have a viable replacement or if they need this space as part of something else?
4. With Disney sometimes keep for the nostalgia factor, things that connect to Walt...

Edited: January 18, 2017, 8:34 AM

Jason Morgan writes: "Maybe they should wait and add Presidents after they have left office or they have passed away?"

I Respond: In defense of this approach, Disney actually maintained that policy for about 80% of the men featured in the attraction.

Yes, I did the math. HA!

January 19, 2017, 12:22 PM

Ok, TH Creative, I admit, your idea about the Trumpbot Tweeting during the whole show is the best idea.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive