What's Going on With DisneyQuest?

January 11, 2017, 5:43 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I made my first visit to Disney Springs. I enjoyed what Disney's done so far and think it outpaces Downtown Disney by a mile. The place was packed, so I can see a long-term winner here (should be worth noting it was 2 days before Christmas though).

Having said that, I was shocked to see DisneyQuest was still open. I thought that was supposed to close last year. Whatever happened to that and the plans for the NBA restaurant/experience?

Replies (7)

January 11, 2017, 7:10 PM

Just looked it up- I guess Disney and the NBA had a falling out, so they're looking for something else to replace DisneyQuest instead of the NBA Experience thing. So they're just keeping it open until they can find a replacement.

Source: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/07/update-nba-at-disney-springs-cancelled-will-disneyquest-close-soon/

January 13, 2017, 10:08 AM

Interesting, I wonder what NBA had in mind that it needed the full building space. Or why Disney couldn't redo the exterior to be more eye-appealing.

January 14, 2017, 8:47 AM

Frankly, I am a bit surprised they just don't copy the ESPN Zone from Anaheim and put it there.

January 16, 2017, 10:31 PM

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I just went for my birthday this past weekend and I still am in love with Disney Quest. Sure, most everything in that building is dated, but it's all still very fun and charming like Pirates, Cyberspace Mountain, Astroblasters, and Mighty Ducks. It's the last place in Disney World that still has an Animation Academy after the Star Wars Launch Bay conversion at Studios. So I, for one, am glad that it lives at least another year and NOT being replaced, as far as we can tell, by a sports-themed venue.

January 17, 2017, 12:16 PM

Anthony - There is already an ESPN Zone at WDW at the Beach and Boardwalk complex. There was also an All Star Cafe at the Wide Wide World of Sports Complex, now ESPN branded too. I don't that that was successful.

January 18, 2017, 8:54 PM

Surely there's an opportunity here. I understand it's some form of dated arcade right?

Go with it. Call it Flynns Arcade, book Bruce Bottlenexer and relaunch the bad boy.

January 30, 2017, 2:47 PM

Looks like the link in the first response turned out to be dead wrong. See today's front page post, Walt Disney World announces closing date for DisneyQuest.

(Is anyone keeping formal track of that site's rather abysmal track record with predicting the non-immediate future of the parks?)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive