Worst IPs

March 6, 2017, 6:27 PM

Hi everyone! I am participating in TPA 8 (Yay!) and one of our challenges is to take a horrible IP and make a great land about it. I really can't come up with anything, so I was wondering what your guys's least favorite IP is that already doesn't have a theme park ride

Replies (25)

March 6, 2017, 7:14 PM

Twilight

March 7, 2017, 2:17 AM

Oh, great- you would have to post this thread! I have about twenty ideas, but since I'm judging I have to sit on them quietly!

Edited: March 7, 2017, 5:56 AM

Human centipede, keeping up with Kardashian's (funny how they come out together). tremors (even though I loved the 1st), anything by Uwe Boll, anything starring Adam Sandler, John Carter from Mars, teletubbies, dungeons and dragons (terrible movies). I could think of many more if you like

Edited: March 7, 2017, 7:40 AM

Sadly, I like James must bite my tongue, despite my brain overflowing with wonderful wretchedness.

A hint, though: Disney owns both Lucasfilm and Marvel. What terrible IP spans both?

March 7, 2017, 10:42 AM

Titanic
Howard the Duck
Child's Play

Worst IP of all time - Avatar! (I guess you can't use that one.)

March 7, 2017, 11:07 AM

Terms of Endearment

The Joy Luck Club

Old Yeller

Schindler's List

Howard's End

Beaches

Manchester by the Sea

March 7, 2017, 1:50 PM

Magic Mike

March 7, 2017, 4:05 PM

Catcher in the Rye. Among actual, active and relevant franchise IP, I'd have to vote 50 Shades of Grey for a family theme park (though it would rake in the cash targeted to the mommies-alone audience.) Captain Underpants could be pretty cringe-worthy for a family IP.

March 7, 2017, 4:20 PM

I would say Baywatch at Sea World, BUT That Really Happen.

A Nightmare in board daylight.

Probably the one I hate to see come to any theme park is those Alvin and the Chipmunks reboot films. If they make a ride or show it would be Barney level nightmarish.
IMG_1562

Edited: March 7, 2017, 9:58 PM

ooh a 50 shades of grey land sounds great actually. I can see like a kinky maze exhibit already

March 8, 2017, 5:37 AM

I half developed the one I had. Maybe something could be done with Steven King though?

March 9, 2017, 8:02 AM

Saved by the Bell Musical featuring Scretch live by webcam from prison!
Song of the South Sing-a-long with Uncle Remus

March 9, 2017, 12:35 PM

What is wrong with Song Of The South?

Unless you invent a subtext that isn't there, and was never there, then there is nothing wrong with it... And I say this as a self-styled "Social Justice Warriror"

March 9, 2017, 4:04 PM

Chad,

In terms of Song of the South, while theoretically, you're correct, it's also such a sensitive subject (and Disney knows this), and people have varying opinions on it.

Even if people may be incorrect in terms of the subtext, it's hard to tell some that the way "they feel" is wrong, so it becomes a sticky subject that Disney avoids. It caused controversy upon it's original theatrical release, so, this film has always had strikes against it, whether people have seen it or not.

Many aren't even clear if it's the Antebellum or the Reconstruction Era.....meaning forget about facts & logic, pure emotion drives many when it comes to this movie.....and it, whether fairly or unfairly, earns it's controversy badge!

But folks will continue to line up for Splash Mountain, so it's not all bad!

March 9, 2017, 5:47 PM

"it becomes a sticky subject that Disney avoids"

You mean, it's like a tar...

Nah, not going there.

March 9, 2017, 11:15 PM

Yeah....I've got about a hundred suggestions, too...I have to sit on them until after the deadline has passed...

March 10, 2017, 9:23 AM

It is a shame, as I thought it was a beautiful movie tbh.. But then again people will insist Huck Finn is a racist book, when no rational reading of the book could give you that impression..

March 12, 2017, 9:23 AM

I was thinking that the Brady Bunch, ALF, or 50 Years of Playboy were some of the best bad IP's out there.

March 12, 2017, 3:03 PM

Half the musicals that even get nominated for Tony Awards would be terrible for theme park lands... RENT, Next To Normal, Kinky Boots (plus many, many more)... And that's without getting into the stuff that could be considered downright offensive like Miss Saigon or Book Of Mormon!

March 12, 2017, 3:44 PM

Surely you forget the producers? Springtime for Hitler parade anyone?

March 14, 2017, 3:30 PM

The Damon Wayans masterpiece Blankman.

Ken Park...the park. Oh wait a minute, that's most Six Flags.

The Warriors...on wait a minute, that's Six Flags.

A very dark ride called The Room, featuring an animatronic Tommy Wiseau.

I'll stop there, too many ideas.

March 15, 2017, 3:03 PM

Silence of the Lambs meet and greet with Hannibal Lector. The promo ad would start "It's like having some friend for dinner"

March 15, 2017, 7:13 PM

Alright I'm going to stop because I'm pretty much freaking myself out with these worst ip's. I dont even think Universal Horror Nights would tackle that last one. That's it for me unless you want to add Small World 2: The Awakening. Alright that's going to give me nightmares too.

March 16, 2017, 10:51 AM

Song Of The South should be redeemed. I recall seeing it as a kid. It wasn't bad. Just that people didn't like Uncle Reemus. If people really don't like stereotypes, well, you'll have more of it anyways. They should just re-edit the movie that cuts out the storyline and only feature the songs. Call it the Songbook of the South.

Back to the topic...

March 16, 2017, 11:28 AM

I'd suggest something else Anton. Since Disney are redoing animated classics with live actors, maybe this is an opportunity to go the other way. Do it all as animated, replacing the human characters with animals.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive