What would be the best theme park related April Fool's gag?

Edited: March 24, 2017, 12:56 PM

Inspired by Jeff's recent post on an Onion article, I'm wondering what would be the best theme park related April Fool's gag that this community could devise.

I'm not talking about some fake news story to post on our front page. I've never been into making stuff up and I don't want to start now. "Fake news" is too much like real life anymore for us to waste time with it in this community, our escape from that real life.

Nor am I suggesting that anyone actually follow through and attempt an April Fool's joke. That's best reserved as something between consenting parties - people who are good for a gag. When in doubt, play it straight. That's doubly true for anything you do in public.

But let's let our imaginations run with this challenge. What would be the most epic, all-time, front page of Reddit, going viral on Facebook, remembered for ages April Fool's gag that anyone - owner, employee, talent, or fan - could pull in or about a theme park?

Replies (19)

Edited: March 24, 2017, 1:19 PM

I seem to recall an article that came from Thorpe Park about how extremely height-challenged people were protesting the height restrictions of their Stealth roller coaster and had one on the shoulders of another one to try and sneak onto the ride. I found the pictures, but can't find the article.

I also have an embryo of an idea about trying to use a buddy pass to get into the park a dog/donkey/pony/straw-man/etc.

March 24, 2017, 1:34 PM

Woman demands money back after the official magic wand purchased at Universal Studios refuses to turn her husband into a turnip. "It worked fine at the park," claimed Kathy Greeser, from Skataway, Alabama. "But the moment I got it home and tried it out for real, it didn't do anything."

Mrs. Geeser is contemplating suing the park for the faulty wand.

March 26, 2017, 10:18 AM

Backside of water makes the most awesome gift!

March 26, 2017, 11:12 AM

Universal Orlando trolls its critics by "leaking" plans for the Univ Blvd park, "Universal's SCREENZ Adventure," a massive "walk-in" theater complex where all the new attractions are just projected on screens. It will use nothing but public domain IP, including Snow White, Cinderella, and Beauty and the Beast, as well as various Shakespeare plays reinterpreted with animals.

March 26, 2017, 1:04 PM

Tony Clark annouces that RMC Mean Streak was all a big joke, he removes the RMC track from the ride, destroys Mean Streak, and puts a Superloop marketed as a coaster in it's place

Edited: March 26, 2017, 2:36 PM

Disneyland releases 100,000 Enchanted Rose tumblers on eBay.

March 26, 2017, 7:40 PM

Disney World is going to build a year round haunt with a 300 ft coaster with 12 inversions. You'll have to sign a release form allowing some of the audience to be part of the show. It's title "When Bad Things Happen in Pandora". Where the Navi and every other creature hunt you down and you only have a limited amount of time to get out cause you only have so much oxygen in your gas mask. I could see ads right now.... "Disney is not just for little kids anymore....."

Than I wake up to find those kinds of ads are for Universal and smile. I reassure to myself, "Man what a nightmare!"

March 26, 2017, 8:12 PM

Oooo....I saw an article contemplating this....Apple decides to buy Walt Disney Company.

http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/apple-seen-as-disney-buyer-by-wall-street-malone-2017-3-1001866926-1001866926

March 26, 2017, 8:15 PM

This is always a good one for the die hard fans...

Disney decides to revert back to Walt's park and closes all rides that were not designed by Walt Disney himself.

March 26, 2017, 8:17 PM

Maybe a look into the future...

Universal announces 2 new parks in Orlando on the plot of land they bought over a year ago.

and...

Moments after Universal unveiled plans for their new parks, Disney unveiled their plans for a fifth full scale theme park...

March 26, 2017, 8:19 PM

Secretly replace cinnamon churros with lemon flavored ones. Oh, wait....

March 27, 2017, 10:25 AM

Disney announced today that since Donald Trump won the Electoral College in the 2016 presidential election and Hilary Clinton won the popular vote, it would not be fair to honor only Mr. Trump in the Hall of Presidents at Disney World. Out of respect for Mrs. Clinton and her many achievements, she will be added to the Hall of Presidents and will stand at the side of her husband, Bill Clinton. Mrs. Clinton will also be given her own speaking role in the show and will inform the audience that although we have come a long ways since the days of women seeking suffrage, we still have many issues to address before women enjoy the same rights as men in our society.

Edited: March 27, 2017, 10:41 AM

Leaked internal documents reveal that Zhonghong is in the hunt to take over Hard Rock Park.

Edited: March 27, 2017, 10:53 AM

Everyone in line for Frozen Ever After at Epcot is given headsets as they board, only to discover that Imagineering is showing them Maelstrom via VR instead of letting them see the Frozen ride.

March 27, 2017, 11:23 AM

^ BWAAAAHAHAHAHA....I'd be the first to grab that headset!

What if they did something similar to It's A Small World and gave out VR headsets to experience Pirates of the Carribean during your Small World ride. Or what about this useless suggestion: VR headsets for the Tiki Room that take it back to Walt's Version.

Edited: March 27, 2017, 11:32 AM

A VR experience for the Hall of Presidents where one of the presidents yells "Screw you, Abe" about three lines into his speech and then all of the Presidents have a bloody knuckles fight for the duration of the experience.

March 27, 2017, 11:38 AM

April Fools Day trope #624 - Fake Press Release
Dole drops sponsorship at all Disney Parks world-wide to be replaced by General Mills brand "Green Giant". Dole whip to be replaced with new healthy option - Broccoli and Kale soft serve available straight, or as a float in juice made from celery, cucumber, kale, cilantro and granny smith apples. For the adventurous, a swirl version is also available featuring a sugar-free, fat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy based slightly taupe colored frozen food product.

Edited: March 27, 2017, 4:27 PM

One of my favorites was Roller coaster safety video with Patrick Warburton

Reconzie the theme park. It was film at Knott's Berry Farm.

Anybody remember Spielburgers. Even had a twitter and facebook account.
The former Spielburgers website homepage.

A while back, A Universal fan site had Hollywood tap for a Knight Rider roller coaster.

Not too long ago, there was an April fools joke that Six Flags was going to build a Hunger Games theme park.
Hunger Games Six Flags:

OC Metablog ran a not to happy joke among the Disneyland fans, how Big Thunder Mountian was going to be re-theme to Race to Witch Moutain reboot. Just to say a lot of the hardcore Disneylanders took umbrage.

There was a crazy one back in the day in Orlando where supposedly the 1st Underground theme park was going to be built. They even had a 1-800-number to call. Let just say among the inexperienced bloggers and youth fell hard for that joke.
Link
Underground Theme Park plan for Orlando news.

My favorite one I like to see spread is Six Flags coming to Orlando. The very idea now and the history would run bloggers and theme park fans mad. Mainly how impossible this is because of the history it has had.
Six-Flags-Logo copy

Check out exclusive info a coaster site got about Six Flags coming to Orlando.
Link
Exlcusive report of Six Flags coming to Orlando

March 28, 2017, 6:37 PM

An announcement that patrons with visible tattoos will be denied entry into Six Flags parks.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive