Cedar Point Installs Security Booths at Entrance

April 19, 2017, 2:42 PM

I suppose that it was inevitable, but Cedar Point has installed permanent security booths before entering the main entrance plaza (and I assume all other entries also). The photos I saw just had a series of three permanent canopy-like covers with nothing underneath yet. I know that they had random security check-points last year, but never when I was there. We'll see if that changes.

It's sad, but not surprising. My biggest question is just how thorough the security checks will be. I heard some people complain that the bag check was cursory at best.

Replies (10)

April 19, 2017, 5:12 PM

Knott's just installed these and I noticed them at Great America, too. Are they Cedar Fair policy now?

April 20, 2017, 7:44 AM

Since going to Cedar Point with a great little tour by Mr. Koehl up there, Cedar Point's enterences and exits seemed a little lax. I feel that is just how the park was set up and allows people to go in and out pretty freely.

Then again, to me Cedar Point seems a little bit of a different animal than most other parks. It is pretty much on its own contained island (yes, I know it is technically a peninusla) so I do not think there is that much people looking for trouble. If they are, they are going through a long process to start trouble.

For what its worth, Six Flags Great America in Gurnee has had metal detectors longer than Disney or Universal. Sadly, they have caught people with the detectors so they are not going anywhere soon.

April 20, 2017, 7:47 AM

James, question.....

Not to get overly political, but what are the gun carry laws like in Ohio? Is it an open carry state?

Part of the issue at SFGA is that Gurnee is so close to the Wisconsin border which has (lets just say) more looser gun regulations than Illinois. Most people aren't trying to cause problem in the park, they just forgot they are carrying their gun.

April 20, 2017, 9:11 AM

Conceal carry with a license is legal in Ohio.

April 20, 2017, 9:45 AM

I suspect that insurance rates for the parks were involved here.

April 20, 2017, 10:49 AM

I suspect it's for chain consistency. Kings Dominion, Carowinds, and Dorney Park have all had metal detectors for years.

April 21, 2017, 9:29 AM

Almost every park here in the north east has metal detectors. Dorney, Great Adventure, New England and even little Canobie Lake. Cedar Point's security was shockingly lax.

May 6, 2017, 11:09 AM

I read your article Let's take a walk down Cedar Points Frontier trail and I have some information about one of the cabins. The cabin that was from Wauseon Ohio was bought from my dad. If you would like more information please let me know how to contact you.

May 6, 2017, 1:31 PM

Wow! That's been awhile ago! Glad to hear you found it and I appreciate your willingness to share the info with me. You can contact me at jim@themeparkinsider.com or contact Robert Niles, the founder and editor of TPI, and I'm sure he'd forward it on to me. Thanks!

May 6, 2017, 2:54 PM

I will do that thank you for the info!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive