How to fix Stitch's great escape?

May 4, 2017, 8:47 AM

So I think this one has been a discussion before, but It would be quite intersting to see what people's opinions are about it now. Obviously it was rumoured that a wreck it Ralph VR attraction would replace the space and seeing as it closed last year it seemed that that would be the case. Howvever stitch has not closed, only moved to seasonal operation, and seeing as they are opening it for summer, I presume it's going to stay a while longer.
So how would you fix this ride. Would you go for another retheme to get the job done quickly so it can be done in the off season or would you go for a gutting of the attraction and start again?
In my opinion I think that disney should re theme it to guardians of the galaxy. They could make it so that rocket racoon or groot is the prisoner and they are being held by the nova corp police. This would be a quick job as they could keep the seating arrangement and ride idea the same, just update the effects and animatronics. Also they could play different songs from the guardians franchise to make it more kid friendly. I think however that this would only be a temporary fix, just to get some marvel rides into a disney park, cashing in on the success of the guardians franchise seeing as they have the rights to it.
What are your thoughts?

Replies (6)

May 4, 2017, 9:32 AM

GotG may not work because of Universal's license to Marvel characters east of the Mississippi. Disney has not attempted to challenge the vailidity of the license and which characters are covered by it. It's believed that GotG would be exempt from the Universal license because they're not part of the Avengers or Fantastic 4. However, the way GotG is being weaved into the 3rd Phase of the MCU leading to Infinity War, may make them defacto members of the Avengers, and this covered by the license.

I think Disney would be wise to stay away from any Marvel theming at WDW unless they're willing to pay to purchase the license back from Universal. I think what would work, and would require a very limited rework of the attraction would be to use Star Wars. They could recreate the scene from Cloud City where Han Solo is frozen in carbonite with guests "feeling" the power of the force by Darth Vader. They'd obviously need to be really careful so as to not annoy the uber-nerds, but it would be a relatively easy and popular overlay to the attraction. Also, Disney would want to be careful to not steal their own thunder from the Star Wars attractions opening at DHS. Because of the space limitations, there's very little Disney can do with the attraction layout aside from maybe a walk-through or character meet and greet.

Edited: May 4, 2017, 4:19 PM

Burn it down that's the only way to fix it. It was built for the adults as a totally different experience and to kid it up they throw in stitch. Parents don't like it, teens, pre teenss can't stand it now and youngsters who the stitch demographic is meant for are still scared because of the dark. Nothing can fix a ruined product that no one wants. Even if they bring back it to its original form or a variation the ride will still feel outdated and bad taste of stitch. Disney never overlays projects anyway.... ah wait......

May 4, 2017, 4:49 PM

Get rid of it. Start over with something new.

May 5, 2017, 8:16 AM

Long live Alien Encounter!

May 5, 2017, 12:12 PM

A re theming cold work, maybe even with a new IP, but I'm not sure how. It depends on them having a good idea. GoTG woudn't work because of the Universal deal, and I don't think a Star Wars project(as mentioned by @RusselMayer) would work either being that Disney would probably want to focus SW on DHS. The Wreck It Ralph idea seems very interesting, and I don't think the reopening of the ride means they don't have any plans of closing it soon(maybe they're opening it to see if the amount of visitors of the ride peak when they announce its closure).

May 5, 2017, 11:02 PM

Just bring back the original concept with a slight modification. Present a nostalgic journey to the outer planets of the solar system. Dump the shoulder harness. Just have seat belts.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive