What do you want to see us cover from Pandora, Volcano Bay, and Guardians?

Edited: May 9, 2017, 10:05 PM

Hey,

I'm getting ready for a crazy couple of days later this month. On May 24, I will be covering the press events for both Pandora - The World of Avatar at Disney's Animal Kingdom and Volcano Bay at Universal Orlando. The next morning, on the 25th, I will be covering Volcano Bay's public opening ceremony, then I am rushing to the Orlando airport to catch a flight to Los Angeles. From there, I will head directly to Disney California Adventure to cover the press event for Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! that night.

There's just no way and no time to discover everything there is to know and experience with these three new attractions, so I'm taking requests. What would you like me to report back to you on, about these three experiences? Be my assignment editor here. What would you like to see me do for you while I am at these events?

Thanks, and stay tuned for the coverage!

Replies (14)

May 10, 2017, 12:38 AM

I've seen enough from Avatar Land to not care much about that coverage. Disney already invited the social media influencers. But I'd like to have your opinion on the rides.
Regarding Volcano bay, I'd want to know everything except the food and drinks, it's gone the same way als the whole of avatar land. But please do the slides and check the park (also at night).
Mission Breakout...it's the same ride system so the queue I guess is the thing to experience. But I'm fine to read about it a month later.

May 10, 2017, 4:32 AM

I'm a bit confused. It sounds like you're already covering all three events. If you don't have to return to LA for GotG then stay in Orlando, do those two major and unique attractions, and get one of the many LA locals who are excellent writers for TPI to report on the TOT reboot in your place. It's not like you're never going to get to LA again!

May 10, 2017, 6:02 AM

I'd really like to see the interactive nature of Pandora. There's been lots of talk from Disney about it (along with the transition from day to night), but not much footage. Will the paths light up at night as you walk by, will plants fluoresce and move as you wave your hand by their foliage, will there be sounds and smells to suggest native animals are scurrying about in the background? I think the two rides have been well covered already as well as the overall look of the land. It's the interactive elements along with the little nooks and crannies that will make Pandora a place guests will want to come back to (like WWoHP has become). It would also be good to try to capture the size of the land (maybe a travelogue-style video), because rumors are that the area is extremely small and may suffer with the overwhelming crowds expected over the summer.

May 10, 2017, 8:15 AM

From the YouTube videos and photos, I really don't get the size of Pandora. Exactly how spacious is the new land? So far, it seems like I will get briefly wowed by the floating mountains, but that's just about it. The land integrates too well with Animal Kingdom that it blends in. It's almost like it isn't a separate planet. My feeling is it doesn't look too much like the movie. The foliage doesn't cover enough ground or provide much shade. What's missing is a playground area where kids with their parents can get acquainted with Na'vi culture.

As for Volcano, the comparison must be made with Disney World water parks including Aulani. How much alike or different is Volcano. Obviously, the tube slides seem to be one distinguishing difference. I will be interested in customer service for Universal is not the best in this.

Hey, how about you stay in Orlando and do more thorough coverage and I'll take your Guardians Mission Breakout assignment. I won't disappoint!!! Joking.

May 10, 2017, 9:21 AM

On Pandora, I'm still a bit confused about Flights of Passage, and it seems like it's queue is very detailed, so I'd like to see some of that. The food in there seems interestingly different, so I'd also like to know how is it and if it's worth eating there.
On Volcano Bay, I'm very curious about the food(yeah, I guess I really like food) and the big Volcano ride. Also, the TapuTapu interactions around the park.
On Guardians, I'd like to see about some of the things in The Collector's Vault(like all those Marvel and Disney "artifacts" mentioned in that article). I'm also curious about what are some of the differences between each story that plays out in the ride, the gift shop, and the "acting" of the cast members.

Good luck! I can't wait to read about these new experiences!

May 10, 2017, 11:57 AM

Pandora is the most ambitious of the 3 and certainly most worthy for discussion.

May 10, 2017, 1:24 PM

If you get a change to ride some Volcano Bay attractions, I'd like to hear how they are. I would also like to hear your thoughts on how Pandora works as a part of Animal Kingdom - how well it integrates and if it successfully elevates the park in your opinion.

Edited: May 10, 2017, 2:30 PM

Robert,

I'll be in Orlando on the 27th and in Animal Kingdom the 28th if you want some extra eyes and reporting on the first couple of public days of Pandora. Let me know.

Edited: May 10, 2017, 2:40 PM

I've yet to see any video from the point of view of a person walking from before the entrance of Pandora into the new land. What is that transition like? Is there a physical gateway like the entrance to Diagon Alley? Is there simply a bend in the pathway so that foliage obscures the way?

So far we've seen a lot of photos of Pandora with only a small handful of people populating the image. I'd like it if you can capture photos that will give an idea of what it will be like to those of us who go once the land is open and full of humans. Will it still be as magical when it's overrun with tourists? Are the landscapes and floating mountains still as majestic with a Brazilian tour group leader holding a flag in the shot?

One of the biggest fails at IOA's Jurassic Park is the lack of dinosaurs. We hear them off in the distance and they are found in the rides, but we never used to see any just during a walk through until they added the new Raptor Encounter. It's obvious that the botanical life of Pandora is abundant. Are there any imagineered animal encounters just built into the landscape like is so prevalent across the rest of Animal Kingdom?

I love the restrooms in the Wizarding World, especially those in Diagon Alley near Magical Menagerie. The fixtures and finishing are exactly as they ought to be. How deeply does the theme extend on Pandora - Trashcans, water fountains, service items in restaurants (cups, plates, etc.), costumes, signs, the whole kit and kaboodle.

May 10, 2017, 2:42 PM

Blake,

Yes, please!

And for any annual passholders attending the AP previews for Pandora, those attractions are now open for rating and review on our Disney's Animal Kingdom page. I'd love to get a trip report for the front page, too, as I'm having to stay home in California until late next week.

May 10, 2017, 2:44 PM

My plan is to try to do walking tours of Pandora and Volcano Bay, as I did for Motiongate Dubai back in December. We'll have to wait to see if I have a clear path through to do those, however. I'm hoping!

May 13, 2017, 6:53 AM

I would like to know if the rumor of Flight of Passage being, ahem, not larger guest friendly. Is it another Forbidden Journey issue? I am guessing not, but I heard rumors.

I am not sure how familair you were with Camp Minnie Mickey, but I am curious on how this seemingly large land fits within even the footprint of this area. Perhaps visuals are deceiving or they greatly expanded the park boundaries.

May 13, 2017, 5:17 PM

Volcano Bay - the pizza! It looks like a quality pizza in a theme park for once. Also, how does the virtual queuing work, and with it, can one do ALL the slides/attractions in one day without waiting in a single line?

May 18, 2017, 5:36 PM

Went to Annual Passholders preview. Flight of Passage is worth the hype and yes some larger guests will not be able to ride. The main issue is a restraint which presses on your back and legs. Some very large round people fit fine in the seat with the back restraint, but those with large lower legs won't allow the leg restraint to lock. Not sure how Disney will deal with this. They were obviously still working out the kinks and taking down data during the preview.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive