Shrek 4-D Closing at Universal Studios Hollywood

May 17, 2017, 2:16 PM

Inside Universal reported that Shrek 4-D is closing. I heard they may be replacing it with a Kung Fu Panda attraction. But a Harry Potter/ Hogsmeade expansion would make a lot more sense considering the building is right in the way. It was confirmed in a Facebook comment that Shrek 4-D's final performance will be August 13, 2017

http://insideuniversal.net/2017/05/shrek-4-d-at-universal-studios-hollywood-set-to-close-with-possible-replacement-kung-fu-panda/

For Comment:
https://www.facebook.com/insideuniversal/posts/10155369900554851

Replies (7)

May 17, 2017, 9:24 PM

Hogsmede would seem to be more sensible.

May 17, 2017, 11:52 PM

Shrek 4-D was probably my least favorite attraction at USH. It isn't bad, it just got old after a couple viewings. I've been wondering how much longer it would have for a couple years, and I guess the answer is now known.

As for the replacement, it will definitely not be Harry Potter. There is a Hogsmeade expansion in the works, but it won't be coming until after Nintendo Land opens. This is meant to be a quick redo so USH has a new for 2018 attraction, so best case scenario would be a Fallon-type simulator attraction themed to another Dreamworks IP (probably How to Train Your Dragon or (more likely) Kung Fu Panda). Unfortunately, I've got a feeling we may just be getting a new 4-D movie.

Edited: May 18, 2017, 8:44 AM

The lack of turnover theme parks use for their 4-D theaters and other screen-based attractions is astounding. It's cheap and easy to convert an aging film out for a newer, trendier IP (including upgrading projection and effects technology). Why theme parks continue to allow these attractions to flounder in the past is beyond me. The last Shrek movie (Shrek Forever After) came out in 2010!!! Certainly the IP has not dropped completely from the public consciousness, but a nearly 14 year run and almost 7 years from the last theatrical release is more than enough time for theme park guests to get their fill. Honestly, attractions like this should be turned over every 5-7 years, not every 15 years. It's shameful and lazy that theme parks build attractions like this with flexibility yet sit on their hands, saving their pennies, while an IP slowly declines (I'm looking at you Philharmagic).

I understand that licenses and contracts can sometimes get in the way, but theme parks should be a little more savvy with how they develop, license, and present IP in their parks. At the very least if Universal was forced by contract to keep Shrek 4D running for 10+ years, they could have at least done a modest update halfway through the run to bring the film into context with the sequels. The film was explicitly designed to fit snugly between the original Shrek and Shrek 2, yet Dreamworks produced 2 more sequels that make this film obsolete. With no new significant content for the IP since 2010, Universal could have at least developed a new film following on from Shrek Forever After that could have made this attraction fresh for the last 7 years. Instead, it's been allowed to rot, and in my opinion hurts the overall Shrek brand.

May 18, 2017, 3:45 PM

They should have demolished it for Harry Potter Land. It's taking up quite a bit of space. They should show movie previews like what Disney has done at California Adventure. It's a nice change of pace especially since they show an extended scene that's not available on YouTube. BTW: The Pirates of the Carribean's extended scene about stealing the safe is completely ludicrous. Can't say I'll see the movie after this. The Beauty and the Beast extended scene showing the opening number was quite good and made me want to see it.

May 18, 2017, 6:20 PM

I would not be surprised if something Shrek related doesn't reappear at Universal Hollywood and Orlando in some way or another now that Dreamworks Animation is in Comcast/NBCUniversal's empire. The first movie was Jeffrey Katzwnburg's way of getting revenge at Disney and specifically Eisner after he didn't get the job he wanted. I have no interest in seeing any more Shrek movies, but the first movie had tons of jokes at Disney's expense, which makes Shrek the perfect the perfect fit for the theme park brand that often makes fun of Disney as well. I have no problem with a new attraction that only references the first two movies. The second Shrek was unnecessary but still a great movie, 3 and 4 were just cash grabs.

May 20, 2017, 3:28 PM

Thank god I get to go before. Most likely another 4D attraction though (bleh). Does SeaWorld still have the rights to Madagascar? I could see that being used or maybe Trolls/How to Train Your Dragon

May 20, 2017, 6:25 PM

SeaWorld dropped the Madagascar rights in 2015.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive