Six Flags New England Loses Virtual Reality...

June 15, 2017, 4:55 PM

Having just returned from a visit to Six Flags New England, I am a bit disappointed that the executives have decided to stop running the VR systems on their Superman roller coaster.

I was only able to speak with uninformed employees, and was wondering if anyone knows why it is no longer running.

Replies (9)

June 15, 2017, 6:44 PM

The VR in Six Flags Discovery Kingdom was awful and they also took it away. I believe that no all VRs worked well.

June 15, 2017, 9:34 PM

At SFNE, VR was moved to Mind Eraser for this year due to the massive lines it caused for Superman. That is the primary reason Mind Eraser got new trains and an extensive refurbishment over the off-season. I don't know if the park still offers it, as several Six Flags parks have started retiring their VR experiences. Supposedly the contract with Samsung is up after Labor Day weekend, so VR will be ended chain-wide after that date (at least until a better system is developed). While I'm not 100% sure, what I've heard is that executives aren't very happy with the performance of the equipment and guest response has been generally mixed, so the Samsung contract likely won't be renewed.

June 16, 2017, 4:04 AM

Also, I heard something about Joker being a "4-D" attraction. Does this suggest that VR may be moving there?

June 16, 2017, 8:43 AM

Good. This fad can't die fast enough.

If your coaster ain't good enough in Reality 1.0, no amount of Virtual Reality will save it.

June 16, 2017, 12:39 PM

The Joker is an S&S 4D Free-Spin coaster. That means that the cars also spin on a 4th axis.

June 16, 2017, 1:45 PM

A 4D coaster is a term that started with X at SFMM. It is used to describe a ride with wing seating where the seats rotate on a horizontal axis during the ride (not to be confused with a spinning coaster, where the axis of rotation is vertical). While Arrow invented the ride, S&S is the primary manufacturer of 4D coasters, and they apply the label to both their traditional 4D coasters and their smaller Free Spin model (aka The Joker). In the case of the latter, however, it is a bit of a misnomer as the ride does not truly incorporate four dimensions of motion since the ride layout exists in a plane.

June 17, 2017, 4:01 AM

That's why I was confused about the use of 4D.

June 20, 2017, 8:27 AM

Seasonal? It looks like 6FDK is only doing VR in slower times.

June 20, 2017, 8:39 AM

Yeah, we're definitely not "losing" anything here...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive