$20 Disney giftcard in exchange for no "Mousekeeping" testing at WDW

June 29, 2017, 11:44 AM

I just read a report that said guests at the All Star resorts at WDW are being given the offer of receiving a $20 Disney Gift card per night if the guest agrees to forgo nightly housekeeping services during their stay.
Guests can get needed towels and other supplies, but no cleaning will take place in their room during their stay. This is a test, but what would you do?

Replies (8)

June 29, 2017, 12:02 PM

I'd probably take it, though for some people $20 is the minimum of what they would tip Mousekeeping at the end of a vacation (never understood tipping the maid, but to each their own). Depending upon the length of my stay, I would not want to forgo Mousekeeping for the entire duration. If I were staying 3 nights or less, I could probably do without, but more than that, I would want the room serviced every 3-4 days.

I know a lot of hotels across the industry are starting to incentivize guests to reduce the number of housekeeping visits needed to maintain rooms. Some are doing it through reduced rates, while others are throwing in perks like gift cards, free meals at the hotel restaurant, happy hour or increased breakfast selections, or free nights on future stays. Honestly, I'd much rather book at a lower rate for reduced housekeeping services than to get some kind of kickback (gift card, resort credit, meal, or future free night).

I'm sure this is not going over well in the DVC community, as many probably see it as a sign that even if guests don't take the incentive to reduce service, services will be reduced across the board.

June 29, 2017, 12:36 PM

I can't speak for Disney Vacation Club, but I used to work for Hilton Grand Vacation. As a club owner, you did not get daily housekeeping service during a stay. Club members only got service I believe every three days. The thinking behind this was you are not at a hotel, you are at a condo that you own. Anybody who booked a stay who was not a member, i.e. paying a nightly rate DID get daily housekeeping service.
When I'm on vacation, one of the great pleasures is having fresh sheets and a clean room. I can see the appeal to the gift card, but I'd much prefer a clean room and a monkey towel on my bed.

June 29, 2017, 2:01 PM

$20 a day is very generous. Since you mentioned it, I'm a HGVC member. I'm used to not getting daily room service. Since typical timeshare rooms are quite large even at DVC, you don't need daily cleaning. A studios sized hotel room is something else. Perhaps do every other day cleaning. IF you get a larger room, every 3rd day is doable. If you decide not to take up their offer, that's fine too. You're on vacation. A few years ago, I stayed at a Sheraton and they only offered $5 a day. I used the money to buy breakfast.

Edited: June 29, 2017, 4:30 PM

I tend to stay in "Serviced apartments" or other non-hotel hotels(mostly because they have kitchens to cook our own food - saves even more money), so not having a daily cleaning service is "normal" for me (some do every second day, some do only on exit).

But is a Disney-customer going to expect that sort of service? I dunno, seems like a hard sell.

July 1, 2017, 11:49 AM

I was wondering, I go to Disney just once every other year but we go for 10 to 15 days at a time would you be able to let say skip three days get one day of cleaning skip three days get one day of cleaning Etc

July 2, 2017, 8:31 AM

However, would this reduce the Mousekeeping workforce (aka layoffs)?

I would not be for that!

July 3, 2017, 10:14 AM

The last couple of times that my family and I went to Orlando we rented a 3 bedroom condo. We were there for 9 nights and opted to have the room cleaned at the middle of our stay.

July 5, 2017, 10:32 AM

Sounds great if you can choose to have it occasionally during your stay if you are staying a long time.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive