Terminator 2 3D closing October 8th for a "new live action experience"

September 7, 2017, 7:59 AM

All Universal currently has to say.

Replies (11)

Edited: September 7, 2017, 8:43 AM

A bit of a bummer for me since we're visiting later in October, but expected. The attraction has been outdated for years and takes up a chunk of space (not as much as E.T.) in a corner of the park that is pretty quiet these days. Perhaps the technical issues Chad H noted in his trip report were the last straw, and the park didn't want to spend more money to keep it on life support until Fast and Furious opens next spring/summer.

There's no buzz as to what will replace this attraction, though saying a "new live action experience" would be coming in 2019 suggests that the replacement may maintain the current movie/stunt show format. The format would be a good fit with something like Pacific Rim (sequel due in 2018, though I think that franchise is too niche-y for a major theme park), but it's really anyone's guess at this point. Perhaps this space is used to relocate the Fear Factor Theater, paving the way for MoM.

September 7, 2017, 4:48 PM

R.I.P. Terminator 2: 3D, the greatest 3D show at any theme park.

September 8, 2017, 4:53 AM

Not SUPER

Thank you, I'll show myself out

September 8, 2017, 6:13 AM

I will not get to see it again as my next scheduled trip is several months away. However, the last time I was there I sat in the front row and it was fantastic! The actors were spot on, the effects worked perfectly, and the fog at the end was cold and enveloping -- an excellent example of a "jaybang"!

I had previously sat in the middle to back o the theater -- not nearly as good there. I hope they pick the right IP for the new show and keep the jaybangs.

September 8, 2017, 9:02 AM

Not a big fan of that show, glad to see Universal changing itself and udating it. Curious abot what can go there. As I said on the comments for Robert's post(and I know it's a long shot), they do have a loto of Doctor WHo related merch, and it looks like that BBC Theme Park is not going to happen, so... WHO knows?
Even togh they have the Dreamworks rights, that seems unlikely for a live show, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

September 9, 2017, 11:17 AM

With Dreamworks, there's the option of an adaption of Shrek the Musical.

September 9, 2017, 12:32 PM

There's already Shrek 4D though, and its next to a Donkey/Shrek/Princess encounter.

September 11, 2017, 7:40 PM

Whatever they replace it with, it sounds like the system shown in this video would be a perfect fit!

September 11, 2017, 8:29 PM

Universal has patented quite a few ideas lately. So while the previous post would have been cool, it will likely be something like this.

September 14, 2017, 6:29 AM

Jorge - That seems very cool and plausible.
Jeff - With Ricky's moves...... how could you go wrong. I forgot that video existed, thank you for bringing back my nightmares of the past lol! A combination of Jorge's idea and Ricky in a Dance Dance Revolution Theme.... Genius!

September 15, 2017, 7:00 AM

Jorge - I believe Dynamic has sold one of those to an unspecified chain, so I would not be surprised if we see that.

Jeff - If Robb Alvey was mod here he would ban you.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive