Fright Fest '17 Review

Edited: October 14, 2017, 3:19 PM

In a time long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away (or something like that) I realized that it was my birthday and that I should go to Fright Fest with a friend to celebrate!! After grabbing some In an Out, and hitting up some pretty cool rides, 7pm dawned and Fright Fest started. Enjoy some unpopular opinions and sarcastic commentary with the world’s most amazing review of Magic Mountain’s 2017 Fright Fest!!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Maze Reviews:
Red’s Revenge- Um, that was amazing. Sets were amazing, and there was so many scare actors it blew my mind. No joke, I counted 4 scare actors (that were all actually scaring and not sitting there looking sad that they were employed by Six Flags) in one room.
-------
Vault 666- The preshow was b-a-d, and the “monster comes and attacks the guard” was even worse. Since I was in the front of the line, and since there were 3 doors I could go through, I had to choose where all the people went, I chose the wrong door… twice. Oops. The actors seemed seriously lethargic, and I’m sure they would have bought a Starbucks, if only that didn’t cost half their hourly wage. Oh, and the ending was worse than Transformers: The Last Knight
-------
Chupacabra- If you have a fear of plain black walls, this maze will be the scariest 30 seconds of your life
-------
Willoughby Manor- If you thought Millennium Force was the most overrated amusement park attraction of all time, then you’re right, but this is a pretty close contender. Everyone says that this is one of the best mazes at the park, and I respectfully disagree. While the sets were nice, and the 4 scare actors were trying their best, they were just too thin spread to make it an enjoyable experience. I’m sure if had more actors, it’d be a much better experience.
-------
Dead End- Obviously the designers of this maze had a couple too many dead ends in their brain when they were trying to create a new experience. The preshow was so quiet that I could hardly hear it, but props to the lady handing out the flashlight as she’s one super awesome and engaged employee. The “storyline” (if there was one, I honestly have no clue) made absolutely zero sense, and the sets were pretty pathetic, and also, there was only 1 flashlight for groups of 5-6 people, so if you weren’t in the first 2-3 people, prepare for a lot of black walls and zero scares. Good thing we had front of the line passes as this had almost triple the line that any other maze had. Honestly, the Salem Witch Trail hooded people that guided you were scarier than any of the actors.
-------
Toyz of Terror 3D- Only one good scare the entire maze, but it was just plain fun. The 3D was trippy, and the spinning tunnel was so, so disorienting, and the monkeys were hilarious. Can you say boo? Good. Then you can work at Toyz of Teror 3D as that’s all the actors said.
-------
Aftermath 2: Chaos Rising- Well that was fun, but not scary at all. I honestly deserve some PE Credit for running half a mile through this maze. The sets were astoundingly huge, the storyline was pretty solid for Six Flags, and actors were soooo bad it made me laugh out loud. Did it twice because it was just that fun.
Scare Zones:
Zombie Crossing- There’s a scare zone? Maybe the zombies were just dressed as millenials on their phones, as there were plently of those
-------
Nightmares: A Twisted Fantasy- Props to all of 2 actors taking photos with people. The blacklight was cool, and overall the best of all the scarezones
-------
Twisted Terrortory- Cool entrance, but 0 actors and very, very minimal theming
-------
Ninja Hill’s Scare Zone- I forgot the theme, but they had some (and by some I mean 3) really hard working actors. I call it Screampunk District as that's easier
-------
Demon’s Door- Cool statues and solid theming, but very scarce on the scare actors
-------
Damned N’ Disguise- The theme was cool, but was hardly portrayed, made no sense in the Metropolis area, and the scare actors were so far and few in between that it felt kinda like a mini party rave and not a scare zone
-------
Suicide Squad- Looked cool, but I didn’t go in due to my burning hatred of Batman: The Ride
So, thanks for reading my trip report!! Please comment below, and feel free to ask me any questions about the event and I’d love to answer!!

Replies (1)

October 17, 2017, 4:59 AM

What is wrong with Batman the Ride? Six Flags Great America has the original roller coaster and it is revered as one of the greats.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive