Theme Park Apprentice Idea

November 20, 2017, 4:49 PM

Hey Judges,
I've been watching the trends in the industry lately and I had a couple ideas on how to integrate them into TPA. I know that last season there was a major focus on small parks, as those have been receiving a lot of attention recently, but I believe something that y'all should do a winter, 5 week "warm up" round on is the industry's newest non-VR trend, refurbishing. We've seen it happen from Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout, to the new Metropolis area at SFOG, to the revitalization of Ghost Town with Ghostrider 2.0, SFFT's Fiesta Bay Boardwalk, and on into the future with La Ronde's Carnival En Folie. All of these additions were created by adding in/drastically improving an attraction and giving the surrounding area a fresh feel on life. Here was a little mock-up schedule to help y'all better visualize what I'm trying to get to:
Week One- Refurbish a Dark Ride with a new theme
Week Two- Take a "dumpy" park and create a well thought out 5 year refurbishment plan to turn it into a charming and well respected attraction spot
Week Three- Take a pre-exsisting themed area and give it a massive overhaul without adding or subtracting any rides
Week Four- Refurbish any minimally themed rollercoaster and with a major, you guessed it, refurbishment, turn it into a Universal level experience
Week Five- Add in a new attraction to any Six Flags park and give it a newly refurbished themed land around it

So I hope y'all would consider this, and yeah, that's all

Replies (2)

Edited: November 20, 2017, 5:23 PM

The problem I think we have with TPA, is, if anything, the level of work is extremely high pushing people out. I think a "warm up" period would just exaserbate that problem.

I think we need to look at instead working out how to reduce the workload. For this I'm thinking longer periods to complete challenges, and preparing "research bundles" for challenges so that people unfamiliar with a park dont have to spend time researching it, instead they're supplied with a short history, satellite images, attraction lists, operating season, and anything else the judges feel its essential to know.

I've also been wondering if maybe we could look at doing the early rounds in pairs. Each newbie is paired with a veteran for the first 3 or so rounds to help them get "up to standard". Then from round 4, the veterans and the newbies play against each other on a level playing field.

The last season did have a refurbishment theme, so I think that might be too similar.

I've a "Autobiographical" themed set of challenges close to a launchable state. I've also been toying around with the idea of instead doing an "alternative universe" themed set of challenges (eg - what if Disney did build that crazy theme-park-ship idea. Come up with something for that)

November 22, 2017, 1:13 PM

I like this idea. For the last TPA, I proposed doing some challenges which were slightly more...well...challenging, but we felt that due to the high number of anticipated first time players, we should keep it simple. Some of the things I proposed are included below (I have written full challenge proposals for these but in case we use them in the future, I won't include all of the particular, just the general challenge idea:

1.)Never Seen That Before!: Create a 'world's first' ride using a never-before-built ride system

2.) Walk Hard: Create a world-class, truly "e-Ticket" walk-through attraction

3.) Last of a Dying Breed: Create a Disney park WITHOUT a heavy reliance on IP. Lands, Major attractions, themes, etc. must be entirely original concepts.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive