Half-day niche theme parks based on 1 single IP

December 10, 2017, 9:56 AM

Anyone like the idea of Orlando becoming the Las Vegas of theme parks, with many smaller theme parks based on a single IP rather than an Island of Adventure style park with multiple IPs?

On Universal Orlando property for example, you could have a Jurassic World theme park, Harry Potter, Transformers, Minions, The Hobbit etc...

I like the idea of being immersed in a world, and a smaller niche theme park for each IP (each with their own admission fee) seems the way to go.

Replies (4)

Edited: December 10, 2017, 11:33 AM

I think there are long term problems with that. If your IP goes stale, or gawd forbid, you hitch your wagon to something like Justice League, then your park is dead. A few rides, or even a single land can be rethemed or genericised easy. A park, even a half day park, needs a whole rethink and a whole new marketing strategy.

The classic example of why not going full IP is a good idea is Frontierland. Davy Crockett, as an IP, is more or less dead - He's certainly not the sensation it was when DL opened. But Frontierland is still going strong - it doesn't need its "Star" to continue to be a fan favourite area.

December 10, 2017, 3:44 PM

You definitely should visit Puroland in Tokyo Japan and based on Hello Kitty and family of characters. Single IP and completely glorious.

December 11, 2017, 9:50 AM

This might work in a tourist destination that's not already saturated with theme parks, but in Orlando, where Disney and Universal are battling each other with billion-dollar bankrolls, trying to start a niche theme park based on a single IP just doesn't make any sense. Investors would not back it unless it were somehow linked to Disney or Universal, and even then, you've got to have just the right IP to make it work in a crowded market (might have to sell as a premium experience).

Outside of the Orlando market, you'd probably have to link it to an IP with some legs (has been on the top of the public consciousness for over a decade with additional material planned in the near future). You'd also need to select an IP with broad demographic appeal. I just don't see any IPs currently available (i.e. not already owned or licensed to a theme park) that could fill an entire park.

I also think that as augmented reality gets more penetration, small outfits will be able to generate a similar experience to an actual theme park for guests without having them leave their home (or perhaps a store front in a mall).

December 13, 2017, 2:13 PM

So buy separate tickets for each land and have to travel in between? No thank you

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive