Fox Theme Parks

Edited: December 14, 2017, 7:08 PM

Fox has a couple of theme parks in development - in Dubai and Malaysia. Does anyone know what becomes of them with this new Disney acquisition? These are being built by other companies under licence from Fox.

My thought is that Disney wouldn't want them and will not be investing money in them, because this is new content to them and it's not worth their time or hassle on a risky undertaking that they had no role in establishing. The agreement may be that the park operators pay them money for the licence and Disney is not involved in any way, which may be acceptable to them.

This is all speculation on my part though, I'm just curious if any of you wise Themeparkinsider's know any better (or can speculate any better - I'm sure you can)

Replies (2)

December 14, 2017, 8:08 PM

If these are licensing agreements I don't think there is anything Disney can do about the situation as the contracts are already signed, it would probably end up being free money for Disney similar to how they are getting it from Universal (with Marvel and now Simpsons). That is if the parks actually end up getting built and open...considering their locations the developers will probably lose money anyway.

December 15, 2017, 9:11 AM

Malaysia is owned by Genting Group under license, Which is big in resorts and energy. It would depend on the contract I would suppose, but I would expect that nothing would change, although Genting might want to break the contract if the Fox brand is going to be depreciated by Disney.

Dubai is also a license held by Al Ahli Holding Group. Their website is shit at explaining what they do, but they seem to have a few iron man suit images, but their bloomberg profile suggests they're big property developers in Dubai. Again, I'd suggest nothing changes if Disney is going to keep the 20CF brand going, but if it is going to be depreciated or ignored, they might want out.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive