Hyperspace Mountain

January 14, 2018, 8:07 PM

Does anyone know if Hyperspace Mountain will be brought back to Disneyland? I enjoyed it when they had it.

Replies (9)

January 15, 2018, 2:06 PM

I doubt it. Hyperspace Mountain was popular at first, but eventually people got tired of it. Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opens next summer. At this point it would be a step backwards to bring it back when Star Wars will soon have its own land that will be among the one of the biggest, most advanced, and most detailed in the history of theme parks.

Hyperspace Mountain was a test to see if Tomorrowland could just be re-themed to Star Wars. The response from Star Wars and Disney fans was that they wanted something that was as good or better than what Universal did with Harry Potter. People liked Hyperspace Mountain once or twice, but after that, most people just wanted Space Mountain back.

January 15, 2018, 4:10 PM

I can see why people would just rather wait for Galaxy Edge to be complete. Why have a ride made over, when you can just have an entire land dedicated to Star Wars. I just thought it was cool. Granted, I only rode Hyperspace Mountain a couple of times. But I did enjoy it. You’re probably right though, I doubt they’ll bring it back either. Since Galaxy Edge opens next year.

January 15, 2018, 9:34 PM

As far as I know, there are currently no plans to bring Hyperspace Mountain back again. From what I understand, reception was a lot more mixed during the second run of the attraction, which canceled plans to use it this winter (in connection with Episode VIII). While there's a chance it could come back again, given how popular the regular Space Mountain has been lately I'm doubtful that it will.

January 16, 2018, 8:20 AM

If you can make it to Hong Kong you can ride it there. Best part is it's usually only a 5 minute wait.

January 16, 2018, 5:22 PM

AJ, how come the reception for Hyperspace Mountain was mixed? I thought it was pretty good. Although, I always enjoy the regular Space Mountain.

January 16, 2018, 8:12 PM

I didn't really like it and I would say Ghost Galaxy was the best.

January 17, 2018, 9:30 PM

Timbo, here are a couple of threads from elsewhere on why people didn't like Hyperspace Mountain or preferred classic Space Mountain:

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/disney-theme-park-news-and-discussion/disneyland-resort/8444643-hyperspace-mountain

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/disney-theme-park-news-and-discussion/disneyland-resort/8538725-space-mountain

January 17, 2018, 10:14 PM

Timbo, this is pure conjecture on my part, but my guess is that once the newness factor wore off many guests started to realize that it just wasn't a particularly compelling overlay. I really enjoyed it the first couple times, but by the fifth or sixth ride I started to notice issues with the overlay (dead spots in the ride, too much light in the dome, etc.) that significantly detracted from the overall experience. Disneyland ran the overlay for 10 months, and during that time it's reasonable to assume that many regular visitors got a dozen or more rides on it. When it came back, the interest just wasn't there. Ghost Galaxy works because it is only available for about two months each year, and if the same thing had been done with Hyperspace Mountain it probably would have remained popular. Unfortunately, Disney seems to have overestimated interest levels and accidentally killed off the idea prematurely.

January 18, 2018, 3:51 PM

Thank you Spaceman Spiff, and AJ Hummel. I now see why it lost its luster. I see why it began to get boring. The first few times were cool, but then it just became too much. I guess in theory, that could be with any ride. It may lose its interest after a while.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive