CityWalk is a Theme Park

Edited: March 5, 2018, 12:16 AM

Tell me how CityWalk, with it's extensive restaurant selection, shops, night life, and world class entertainment, is not a theme park? In what world can you dine at such a diverse restaurant selection from Cowfish to Toothsome to Antijitos Mexican?

Additionally, you can sing Karaoke at Rising Star, enjoy dueling pianos at Pat O'Briens, and listen to rasta at Bob Marley- A Tribute to Freedom. Catch a show at the world renowned Hard Rock Live or enjoy the global phenomenon that is the Blue Man Group. If that doesn't peak your interest then take in 36 holes of well themed mini golf or catch a movie at the AMC theater. Come experience Universal Orlando's fourth park!!!

Replies (23)

March 5, 2018, 9:26 AM

(chuckle).

March 5, 2018, 9:33 AM

(Picard Facepalm)

March 5, 2018, 10:40 AM

Barry, you’re banned.

March 5, 2018, 11:11 AM

Well played. Well played.

March 5, 2018, 11:11 AM

"Universal Orlando's fourth park"

To me, this is the single best thing about this post. Well done.

And for first-time visitors, Meta.

March 5, 2018, 11:32 AM

But didn't CityWalk precede Volcano Bay and technically opened just before IOA, making it UO's second park?

March 5, 2018, 12:10 PM

What about the parking garages? They have great names like Kong and Jurassic, Plus you get to ride on several people movers... Are they also Theme Parks?

March 5, 2018, 12:30 PM

There are no unique restaurants (one of TH's 5 criteria necessary to be considered a theme park) in the parking garages unless you consider hosting tailgates with cold cuts and chips a "restaurant". They would contain the other 4 criteria though...

1. The speedwalks move guests along much faster than most omni-movers, so those would fill the role of "attractions".
2. They have "theme environments" with each level of the garages color coded and themed to an iconic Universal character.
3. There's live entertainment watching the parking attendants and drivers who refuse to following simple directions.
4. Those garages draw millions of visitors every year.

But it just misses on that unique dining part.

Maybe we could call them 4/5th of a theme park, or maybe theme parks in training (TPIT). That would make UO a 5.6 theme park resort.

March 5, 2018, 1:45 PM

Over on the original DSTP thread on 2/19 Kris V alluded to the possibility that CityWalk should be considered to be a theme park. I responded by indicating that I have no problem with that assessment.

March 5, 2018, 2:08 PM

Excellent job Russell... Excellent....

March 5, 2018, 3:08 PM

TH also indicated that some other shopping malls and the Tower of London were also theme parks over on the DSTP (Disney Springs Themed Purchasing complex) thread. So, who knows where the line is between theme parks and what 99.999999% of humans consider not to be theme parks is in TH's DS prime parking spot seeking world. I think that's the point Barry is trying to make here, which TH still refuses to accept.

What point is there to call something a theme park if doing so now makes every place with a place to eat, some decorations, a crowd, something to watch, and something to do, a theme park too? Let's call a spade a spade. Disney Springs is a MODERN SHOPPING MALL, not anywhere close to being a theme park (aside from its actual proximity to real theme parks).

March 5, 2018, 6:36 PM

I'll bet most of us know intuitively what is and isn't a theme park.

March 6, 2018, 2:52 AM

Actually the Tangled Toilets at MK is a mini land.
We only need a ride photo when doing a number 2.

March 6, 2018, 6:51 AM

I have no problem with CityWalk being regarded as a theme park. Since Disney Springs is regarded as a theme park, CityWalk should be recognized the same way.

Certainly some might disagree with me. And I understand that. But regardless of their opinion -- whether it is presented as a single sentence post or a 1,000 word screaming rant -- I maintain my opinion.

March 6, 2018, 7:00 AM

"Since Disney Springs is regarded as a theme park, CityWalk should be recognized the same way.

Certainly some might disagree with me. And I understand that."

TH is the only one I see here regarding Disney Springs as a theme park. If "some" means "all but yourself" then I guess you're right in referring to those that disagree with you.

March 6, 2018, 7:11 AM

>>>I'll bet most of us know intuitively what is and isn't a theme park

I disagree. There is always going to be edge cases. Despite it perhaps calling itself one, and having a themed land and some themed rides, I’d argue Blackpool pleasure beach is not a theme park, merely an amusement park.

March 6, 2018, 7:11 AM

I disagree. There is always going to be edge cases. Despite it perhaps calling itself one, and having a themed land and some themed rides, I’d argue Blackpool pleasure beach is not a theme park, merely an amusement park.

Edited: March 6, 2018, 9:16 AM

"I’d argue Blackpool pleasure beach is not a theme park, merely an amusement park."

And that's where I think we can have a strong, sound discussion about what constitutes a theme park. However, proclaiming to the theme park community that a self-identified retail complex (aka shopping mall) is a theme park (and subsequently having to include hundreds of other decidedly non-theme park places under the theme park umbrella to validate it) isn't a discussion. It's just a ludicrous statement begging to be pounded into submission. I would argue that it's not even really an opinion, with TH referring to Disney Springs being a theme park in such a declarative way as if it were a fact, and deliberately referring to Disney Springs as "Disney Springs Theme Park" (DSTP).

I've never been to Blackpool, but from what I've heard and seen about it, I would lean towards the amusement park side of the ledger for that one. I think we could have some of the same discussions about some of the Cedar Fair parks, Six Flags parks, and many of the independent parks in the US as well. However, that's where the discussion should end, not in some ditch beyond the left field wall where TH is lurking in the weeds.

March 6, 2018, 8:15 AM

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a ....theme park.

March 6, 2018, 8:41 AM

>>>>Chad H Said:
>>>>I disagree. There is always going to be edge cases. Despite it perhaps calling itself one, and having a >>>>themed land and some themed rides, I’d argue Blackpool pleasure beach is not a theme park, merely >>>>an amusement park.

I don't think we're disagreeing -- us TP fans intuitively know that Blackpool is NOT a theme park, despite it calling itself one.

March 6, 2018, 9:49 AM

Thanks Sarah!

March 6, 2018, 12:39 PM

Agree or disagree I think we can all agree...CityWalk and Disney Springs are the best theme parks in Orlando! Hyperbole will get you everywhere.

March 7, 2018, 9:24 AM

They are fun to visit, but not so fun to actually spend your money. The food is extravagantly expensive. The items are mostly novelty and useless. I don't bother buying. Good for window shopping only. Drink before going with someone else driving.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive