Is All the New Movie Themed Attractions Being Play Out?

July 28, 2014, 5:56 AM

Well, it’s been a while since I've posted, but was thinking about this. With the new Skull Island coming to theaters in 2016 and the possibility that Islands of Adventure building a new Skull Island attraction. Although, not yet confirmed. One has to begin to wonder is the new movie based theme for attractions being played out? For me personally most times I like it, although sometimes I wish they can be a little more creative. Then again it is Universal Studios, and that it is a major movie production company, so it kind of does fit the bill.

No one can deny the fact that it has been successful and most people seem to enjoy it. For instance with the great new! And exciting Harry Potter attraction! Which was so successful we all bare witnessed it’s huge expansion, and probably more to come in the near future. Also, the new coming Star Wars attraction and the rumored possible Fast & Furious franchise making its way to universal someday... again this is just a rumor.

So is it being played out? Or is this just the beginning?

Replies (9)

July 28, 2014, 7:25 AM

I suspect it is only the beginning. I agree, I like it on the one hand, but sometimes wish they would be more creative, but I can understand why they do it. I wonder if ecpot, when it finally gets some major attention, will go down the same movie theme route - I kind of hope not, though any new major development would be great.

July 28, 2014, 10:45 AM

Um, Alec, what exactly is your question in the opening post to this thread?

July 28, 2014, 1:17 PM

Aw, I thought they'll be making a The Avengers ride at Disney California Adventure. :'(

Edited: July 28, 2014, 2:59 PM

I would say no.

For a park like Universal, it's a movie based park....always has been, so their attractions, old & new, have always been based on motion pictures & tv properties.

(The issue with Universal is finding properties that stand the test of time, so you don't have to constantly keep updating attractions)

In terms of Disney, they have their fare share of movie properties, but with their latest acquired franchises, I suspect we will be seeing more.

I think in today's climate, the reasoning seems to be it's easier to develop attractions that have some sort of built in fan base. It's an easier sell, there's built in merchandising, & people are drawn to the familiar.

July 29, 2014, 5:14 AM

Tim, my question is the movie themed rides for instance, harry potter, ratatouile, "rumored" Skull Island, Fast& Furious. Are they being played out like are they getting old to you? or is this something that you like?

July 29, 2014, 5:14 AM

and Oscar e-mail me I have to talk to you about something.

July 29, 2014, 5:16 AM

Jay R. I happen to agree with you 100% :)

Edited: July 31, 2014, 7:51 AM

Alec, I don't think that the movie franchises are being overplayed. With the omnipresent media options we have available these days, we've become an ADD society, and ride developers have no choice but to go for the biggest bang for the buck as quickly as possible and hope that the ride reaches "classic" status before it becomes generationally obsolete.

I'm going to slip into "old man" mode for a minute, and point out the differences between how entertainment is delivered now versus how it was in the 60's and 70's when folks like me and Robert Niles and James Kohl were still looking for the prizes in the boxes of Crackerjack.

Good movies showed on usually only one screen at the movie theater and they were there for months. Now movies are on multiple screens at the cineplex in 2D, 3D, and IMAX for only a few weeks, and within a couple of months or less are available on streaming media and DVD (for the old folks and the technologically challenged).

You rarely heard about overseas box office revenues in the 60's and 70's. Now they are considered as important or more important than the domestic gross to a movie's success.

Cable was limited. Home computers were nonexistant. The internet wasn't even a DARPA dream project yet. VHS tapes, DVDs, and digital tv? Nope, nope, and nope.

Merchandising was limited to lunchboxes, coloring books, and pencils with the occasional doll, action figure, and board game on your birthday or at Christmas. Nowadays, it is an onslaught of movies, books, coloring books, comic books, cartoons, clothing, computer games, DVDs, soundtracks, action figures, dolls, bedroom furniture and accessories, birthday party theming, Happy Meal toys, cell phone apps, and every so often you see a themed lunchbox or pencil.

So, in reality, theming rides to movies isn't really being overdone. Themed consumerism is being overdone.

August 2, 2014, 1:44 PM

Well one line from Robert Niles' Tony Baxter interview was his response to a question very similar to the one you have brought up.

Walt Disney was all about cross promotion. Everything in the park he believed should be based on a movie or tv show. Heck, for lots of the classic rides we know today (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc) he advertised the hell of it on his ABC show.

I think the big reason why Universal keeps changing, but not Disney is because Disney has better control over the content they have in the parks and they have just been lucky on picking some good, lasting, franchises.

Then again, it also is just pure luck. Look as Splash Mountain. Barely anybody in the US has seen this movie, but it makes for an extremely popular ride!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive