I AM GROOT...

August 4, 2014, 6:33 AM

Anyone else go see Guardians of the Galaxy?

This is another big win for Marvell and Disney.

A whole bunch of action, laughs and old 70's music....

Replies (11)

August 4, 2014, 10:26 AM

I saw it last Wednesday, and was thoroughly entertained. I felt that it was the closest thing to Star Wars released in the past 30 years. The producers made such great decisions in casting, production design, and script, particularly with the later. It was refreshing to go to the first movie of a potential comic book series that didn't get bogged down in the origin story. There was just the right amount of backstory to make you feel for the characters, but left plenty on the table to go back to in future installments. That is really the fatal flaw of many comic movies, because once they've told the story about how the hero(es) came to be, there's nothing more to say other than having them face new villains, which is why we're seeing so many franchises be relaunched (Batman, Superman, Batman-again, X-Men-well kind of, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, and even Hulk). This film is helped by being a bit more obscure than other comic series, but by not bogging the story down with the origins of the characters, they are able to tell an exciting story and sprinkle in some backstory and character traits along the way.

After I left the theater, I was ready to learn more about the characters, and can't wait for the sequel, which was already green-lighted.

August 4, 2014, 10:57 AM

Absolutely Russell, This was an amazing blend of new and old…. Music, songs, casting, story, action, friendships, determination… Groot who stole the show…
And of course the comedy… This is the beginning of something big

Nice job Disney, Nice Frigging job…

August 4, 2014, 2:05 PM

Just came back from seeing it in IMAX. I will admit, the opening scene almost had me cringe, something I've never done at a Marvel movie. Thankfully, the rest of the flick was good enough that I could forget it and enjoy a good mix of superhero and sci-fi. Not to mention all the possibilities Disney can pull for some kind of attraction. Was it just my theater or did anyone else notice a fluctuation between widescreen and fullscreen? Most of the time I didn't notice it, but there were a couple of times were it was jarring.

August 4, 2014, 6:40 PM

I really enjoyed it. It was definitely one of the best Marvel films made so far. Marvel did really well this year, better than last. Really really enjoyed that post credit scene. It stole the whole movie.

August 5, 2014, 6:59 PM

I think GOTG is exactly what Disney needed: a franchise that boys can jump onto. I thought it was one of the more adult Marvel movies, but still PG enough for Disney.

August 6, 2014, 12:49 AM

Awesome movie. Would love to see this capitalized on with a jump into the parks. It looks like a better fit for Tomorrowland than the Avengers.

August 6, 2014, 1:30 PM

I think it belongs in the animal kingdom. Get a picture with Groot in front of the Tree of Life. Is that Meeko or Rocket? And Howard the Duck.

August 6, 2014, 1:51 PM

I saw the movie in 4D.....and it did feel like an attraction!

I can see this doing very well should they incorporate it into the parks.

Edited: August 6, 2014, 8:44 PM

Totally agree with Russell... Guardians of the Galaxy is the most Star Wars like movie since 1977. Brilliant stuff.

As for one of the other comments... not sure what was cringe worthy about the opening scene as I thought it was masterfully done and incredibly convincing. It immediately drew me into the character and to the story in a way other movies aren't able to accomplish in two hours, let alone two minutes. In fact it reminded me of one of my favorite scenes in John Carter (a very unappreciated film that would have benefited from the massive advertising campaign behind GotG) when Carter fought an entire army while flashing back to the tragic burial of his wife and daughter. It is these types of scenes that help the audience sympathize and care for the characters in the movie. Without them, you simply have another loud, brash Transformers movie, filled with nothing but nonsense and noise.

If I had one complaint about GotG it might be that the villain, Ronan, was not a fully fleshed out character, but even he was part of some very entertaining scenes.

It is just a matter of time before Marvel explodes at the Disney parks... I just hope I am around long enough to see that Universe fully realized. Let's face it, the Marvel land at USO is quite lame (though it does have one stellar and one pretty good attraction), and Marvel deserves better.

Edited: August 6, 2014, 11:55 PM

James, I don't think we're talking about the same scene. My complaint was about the arrival on the first planet and the moves that followed while the opening credits were rolling. Maybe I should have been more specific since yes, what you are talking about are the true opening moments.

Edited: August 7, 2014, 4:41 AM

Yeah, I was referring to the first scene when Quill was a boy (I am trying not to give any spoilers). It was powerful stuff...and the kid actor did an amazing job. Anyway, my faith in humanity is restored. ;)

However, if you are talking about the scene where a grown up Quill "acquires" the orb on Korath... I liked it too! It reminded me of the opening to Raiders of the Lost Ark... but more comedic. Plus it set the stage for the resolution of the later battle with Ronan and established the "mix tape" and Quill's penchant for groovin' to slow jams as key elements in the film. But hey, each to his own, I guess. Glad you like the movie overall, though!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive