Sci Fi Dine In - Is it worth it?

September 2, 2014, 3:49 PM

My husband and I are planning a trip to Orlando this January and are excited to visit all of the Disney theme parks.

Laugh if you must, but one of the things that I am struggling with the most is my reservation at the Sci Fi Dine In Theater. The consensus seems that the food is awful and overpriced, but it's a fun atmosphere so that makes the experience worth the time. I am trying to find a good lunch spot in DHS and the Brown Derby is a little too pricey/fancy for what we are looking for. The 50s Prime Time Cafe seemed like another good spot, but my husband isn't keen on getting heckled while he eats. :)

I'm starting to wonder if we would be better off eating at a good counter service restaurant.

So, what do you think? Is the Sci Fi Dine In worth it?

Replies (7)

September 2, 2014, 4:27 PM

Hollywood Studios has the worst food options in all of Orlando. Other Disney parks, Universal, and SeaWorld have it beat by a mile. I suggest you get a park hopper and eat somewhere else.

September 2, 2014, 4:30 PM

My wife and I (both theme park junkies) love this place. The atmosphere is a lot of fun. Yes, the food is overpriced but I would say not horrible. There is better food to be had in DHS, but it is average at Sci-Fi. Definitely would recommend trying this once, you go to WDW for atmosphere and memories and this place is memorable.

September 2, 2014, 4:53 PM

You've got to do Sci Fi at least once in your life. The atmosphere is lots of goofy fun and the food while a bit overpriced (like all of Disney World if you're going to be honest about it) is not too bad. The Studios of all the four parks has the worst food but Sci Fi is the best of the lot. Make sure, however, that you get to sit in one of the cars. Often times the staff will try to seat you at one of the standard tables...don't do it. The regular tables are hardly any better than park benches and about as comfortable.

September 2, 2014, 5:02 PM

I think the problem with Sci Fi is the menu is actually pretty limited. Its mostly "fast food" options in a table service location. You got burgers, hot dogs, etc, but they are a little better than the counter service. Its all about being goofy and if you never have been there, you should try it at least once! The food might not be memorable, but it isn't bad either.

I actually like 50s Prime Time Cafe. I think they have some really good dishes! I love the sampler where you get some meatloaf, fried chicken, and pot roast with some mashed potatoes. I gotta say that the meatloaf and fried chicken are pretty good (pot roast is good too, but not as memorable).

September 3, 2014, 7:43 AM

Yes, it is worth it. I've been there twice and both times, I enjoyed it very much. The restaurant is a novelty. It doesn't exist much elsewhere. So what about the menu? Just order what appeals to you. I have to say, the other restaurant choices could be better, but they are mere restaurants. This one or that one. Whatever.

September 3, 2014, 12:33 PM

You've all convinced me - keeping the reservation!

September 3, 2014, 3:23 PM

It's not about the food. Cool atmosphere and fills the hunger need.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive