Universal Orlando AP Question

Edited: September 25, 2014, 8:18 AM

My expiration date for my Preferred Annual Pass is coming up and I'm not sure if I will have enough money to renew it by the 29th.

I read on Orlando Informer that there is a 30 day window before and after to renew it. Can I still use the pass after the 29th for another 30 days?

Also I heard that some team members can extend it up to 60 days, but I would hate to ask and be turned down.

Replies (7)

September 25, 2014, 8:30 PM

No, your admission privileges only extend to your card's expiration date. The 30 days is to allow you to renew at the discounted renewal price. You can do it by phone, which is extremely easy. The "renewed" pass start date is the day after your expired pass' last day.

September 25, 2014, 8:38 PM

Other parks have similar policies. (I've renewed a Disneyland pass under similar circumstances in the past.) You can pay the lower renewal rate up until a certain period after your pass expires, but the renewal date is the date of the old pass' expiration.

That means that you're actually losing some value from the pass by not being able to use it during the time between the expiration and the time you renew. But if that's less valuable to you than the savings in being able to pay the renewal rate versus paying for a new pass, then it's worth doing.

September 26, 2014, 1:39 PM

The UOR Preferred AP renewal costs $170 which is a substantial discount (~65% of new one) and renewing is almost always the right chioce. The WDW AP discount is only "worth" about 2 months, so if you are not going to use it for more than 2 months, buying a new one when necessary is almost always the right choice.

September 29, 2014, 11:35 AM

Brings up a question I have had for a while. Is it possible to get a Disney or Universal seasons pass if you do not live in Florida? Seems like it might be less expensive for frequent visitors.

September 29, 2014, 12:24 PM

You can, but for Disney, you need to plan to spend @15 days in the parks over the year to make it worth the cost. There are many out-of-staters, typically those with DVC memberships, that purchase WDW APs instead of day tickets. It's just a matter of going enough to warrant the increased cost. For most people, that means taking 2 or 3 trips to WDW per year. A 10-day non expiring park hopper is $491, while an annual pass is $634 (includes parking, which isn't a big deal if you always stay on site).

Florida residents receive a discount on the standard AP price.

Universal is similar, just with fewer days needed to reach equilibrium. Their annual pass is $295 for their no-blackout pass (includes parking after first visit), while their 4-day pass (longest they sell) is $197. That means, an annual pass is a value if you spend more than 6 days over the course of a year in their parks. If you don't mind the blackouts, for 2014 USF blacked-out the entire months of June and July following the opening of Diagon Alley, and blacked out both parks for winter and spring breaks, the cheaper "Power Pass" is only $214, which is just a bit more than a 4-day pass.

Again, UO offers discounts for Florida residents, just like Disney.

September 29, 2014, 5:58 PM

Actually, Universal has three different annual passes, all of which can be purchased by out of state customers. Only the lowest level, the power pass, had blackout dates. Plus you can get "huge discounts" on hotel rooms with the first two level passes. We "saved as much on hotel rooms", over & above the multiple day discounts, as we paid for both AP's during the past 12 month period. Plus you receive food & merchandise discounts at most establishments. And the passes aren't very expensive. It's a offer you can't refuse (Plus there are huge discounts if you renew your pass)

September 30, 2014, 11:33 AM

Great information! Sounds like something I need to look into. Thanks

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive