Replacement for E.T. Adventure?

Edited: November 13, 2014, 1:29 AM

Okay, since a ride will NOT be replaced by The Smurfs.

What will be a better replacement for E.T. Adventure?

Comment me to let me know.

Replies (26)

November 13, 2014, 8:31 AM

I honestly don't think they should replace ET at all. I think it's Universal's, it's a small world kind of ride and every ride at Universal Sudios doesn't have to be a "thrill ride". They have plenty of those. I know I'm probably in the minority, but that's my 2 cents

November 13, 2014, 11:20 AM

Twister is the next thing to go away in USF. ET appears safe for a year, at least. But things do change quickly at Universal Orlando, as we all have learned by now!

November 13, 2014, 1:09 PM

I like any indoor space that makes me feel like I'm outdoors. Standing on the porch of Twister and seeing the dark clouds and the back yard is really cool, especially on hot Summer days when the sun is beating down on you and it's 95 degrees and humid. I also love the Venetian in Las Vegas with the whole gondola boat ride, but that's a different story.

Twister was always kind of an odd movie to turn in to an attraction, I think. I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has, and I'll be happy to see them use the space for something else.

November 13, 2014, 1:35 PM

What replaces Twister??

November 13, 2014, 1:58 PM

Yea, Robert, whats your guess on when it is optimal for/when it will actually close for twister?

November 13, 2014, 3:33 PM

They should keep ET, but I think the current kids area needs an overhaul. I only ever see it while I'm walking through the queue lines for Halloween Horror Nights. It's an interesting area (Barney is still relevant?), but surely they could take an existing IP they own and make it better. They could even take out the animal stadium to provide more room.

I think ET should stay. It's a great dark ride and an even trippier ride when you arrive on ET's home planet.

The only thing I will miss about Twister is Bill Paxton. His exposition in the pre-ride area is hilarious. Plus the fact it looks like he has an odd shoulder injury. If you want to experience the ride for real, come to my home state in mid April through May.

November 13, 2014, 4:15 PM

I think they shouldn't change it. It is one of the only originals of universal left and it is really good

November 13, 2014, 9:58 PM

I thought Spielberg had a fit when it was taken out of Hollywood.

November 14, 2014, 3:59 PM

Kris V, Sure, Next the animatronic E.T. will kill us by night.

November 15, 2014, 2:14 PM

Rumor is that Universal reached a negotiation impasse with the IP that was to replace Kidzone, so now it's on hold.

November 20, 2014, 7:24 AM

Steven Spielberg has a contract with Universal and has several attractions for his movies....

So maybe Robert might have an idea on this contract and what it would cost to buy Spielberg out of this attraction.

But I like ET as a classic attraction and would not mind if it stays....

November 23, 2014, 3:08 PM

Personally, I will NEVER understand why there isn't a SpongeBob ride at Universal Orlando. They have the store, they have the character there in the store. It can't be a licensing thing, can it? I just think they have lost an opportunity here- my older kids are 24, 22, and 18. My youngest is 11. They ALL love Spongebob, and so do their peers. Hell, I'll admit to loving SpongeBob! Get rid of ET and put it there.

November 23, 2014, 3:50 PM

Spongebob instead of ET. I hope that is a joke!

November 24, 2014, 7:10 AM

Spongebob did have a part in the Old Jimmy Newtron ride, which is now Minion Mayhem attraction..

Edited: November 24, 2014, 7:44 PM

SpongeBob has a huge following even to this day. People that don't watch the show can instantly recognize the character. With the Paramount parks now long gone, and Nikelodeon without a theme park home, it's a missed opportunity.

ET is a fairly solid ride. The entire first half of the ride is superb, followed by a disjointed acid trip to finish off the ride.

November 24, 2014, 1:33 PM

I went on ET last week for the first time in ages. With the passports and interactive name feature gone, the pre show just draws attention to that missing (and once unique) element of the ride. Please put this one out of its misery soon.

November 24, 2014, 2:06 PM

But weren't they supposedly putting the passports things back in sometime soon or something?

November 24, 2014, 5:20 PM

I thought the passports were coming back. I thought ET saying your name was one of the highlights of the attraction!

November 24, 2014, 6:01 PM

In all honesty, the Spongebob idea isn't a bad one. With a new movie coming out next year, it can still be considered a relevant franchise. We can argue whether or not the show is as good as it used to be, but as far as current kids and families are concerned, Spongebob is still the king of cartoons (although maybe tied with Phineas and Ferb, another missed opportunity).

November 29, 2014, 2:41 PM

The ET ride can stay it doesn't bother me being there. Twister has to go because I feel like the ride is aging and really isn't a thrill ride, like how it once was.

November 29, 2014, 4:21 PM

Wait, they took the passports away! Not cool, Universal. Not cool. I enjoy E.T. The part where you fly over the city is my favorite! I hope they don't get rid of it, but I understand that it's not very well known with the younger generation coming up. I have no idea what I would want it replaced with. I do think the kid area needs an overhaul though. My nieces and nephews think it's rather boring.

December 1, 2014, 8:05 AM

I also feel that it has the "flying ride" appeal. I mean, why do people go on Peter Pan? Same idea.

I think it would be a huge disappointment for Universal to get rid of ET. It would be like Disney getting rid of Its a Small World or the Haunted Mansion.

Edited: December 1, 2014, 11:01 AM

ET doesn't have the same fan base that either Haunted Mansion or Small World have. The closest comparison to ET is Peter Pans Flight. Peter Pan is a summary of a successful movie from start to finish giving a sense of completion upon exiting despite the length of the ride. It has its flaws with a very long, hardly decorated, mostly outdoor queue, but the ride itself is solid from start to finish. ET is also a ride based on a successful movie which drops you midway through the plot in the most exciting scene through the eyes of the main character. It has one of the best queues and first halves to a ride, and shares a very similar ride vehicle and ride scene to Peter Pans flight. Then it shoots you up with some acid and you journey to a disjointed and disturbing planet not seen in the movies. Then you have an ET that can't pronounce any simple name you give yourself and your left leaving the ride asking yourself "WTF was that???"

I like ET and would love it to stay, but that whole second half is just bringing the ride down several notches.

December 1, 2014, 11:38 AM

I was using Its a Small World and Haunted Mansion as Disney classics just like ET is (should?) be a Universal classic.

Maybe we are onto something here...Does Universal have any Classic rides? Based on the demise of Jaws, King Kong, or Back to the Future, maybe not.

That's why I think Universal is winning the short game with attractions, but Disney is in it for the long run.

December 1, 2014, 12:25 PM

They should preserve E.T. by removing the alien aspects. Instead, do a "Snow White" like attraction where the rider is in the perspective of E.T. instead of seeing E.T. Also, I strongly believe they should remove the cop cars. The film has ample cops, doctors, and hospital settings that should not be referenced in the attraction. They are way too scary for kids. As an adult, it take away from the story because I'd just rather be in the fuzzy zone where E.T. does his wonders. Focus on flying. Focus on outer space. Return safely to earth. That's just about it.

December 1, 2014, 4:10 PM

Anon, you just nailed what's always bothered me about ET. I never liked how Spielberg tried to make the scientists into villains. An ET that focused on the wonder of possibilities would do much more for me than the "kids in peril, now let's go for an acid trip" mess that this ride is.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive