How does Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer compare to the real thing?

December 14, 2014, 2:51 PM

I've yet to try the official Butterbeer at Universal, but last night I found something called Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer at our local Cracker Barrel restaurant. Clearly, it's a knock-off (if a very well packaged knock-off), and I know it doesn't have the creamy foam on top, but I thought it tasted great! Just like I thought Butterbeer would taste! My question for the experts here is, "How does it compare to the real thing?"

Replies (3)

Edited: December 14, 2014, 5:32 PM

Had the bottled Butterscotch Beer last summer. Basically, if you get it really, really cold, it's kinda like Universal Butterbeer, but without the creamy topping. The downside is that if you serve the Flying Cauldron stuff at anything warmer than an arctic temperature, it's pretty nasty. (Waaaaaay too sweet.)

The first time I tried the Flying Cauldron drink, it was really cold, and I loved it. But when I had another bottle later, which wasn't so cold, I regretted being so enthusiastic about the drink the first time.

December 14, 2014, 6:19 PM

Check. I will get them REALLY cold. I also heard it's really good in a frosty mug with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream (which adds the creamy ingredient). Thanks for the advice. My first taste of it was really cold in a frosty mug, so maybe I'll stick to that.

Edited: December 14, 2014, 9:21 PM

I think a ginger-flavored ice cream would be interesting addition here.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive