I know New Year's Eve will be busy, but what about New Year's Day, same?

December 30, 2014, 3:09 PM

Thinking about going on New Year's Day but guessing it will be as busy as any other holiday. Any suggestions? Would Friday or Saturday be better? Sunday? Thanks!

Replies (5)

December 30, 2014, 4:01 PM

I went to Disneyland on New Years Day, and it was semi-crowded. Most rides were 30 minutes, but the big rides were about 45 minutes. Although it wasn't that bad RSR was still 100 minutes.

December 30, 2014, 5:02 PM

Thx!

Edited: December 30, 2014, 5:28 PM

I've generally found that New Year's Day is the best of that week at the parks for crowds. A lot of people come down for bowl games (in SoCal and Orlando), and they're at the games that day. The Rose Parade that day also distracts a lot of locals in the LA area.

BTW, I'll be covering the Rose Parade again this year and will post a photo gallery on the TPI front page, as well as updates to TPI's Twitter and Instagram, so, please, follow us!

December 31, 2014, 3:09 PM

It's going to be busy, but if you have to go this week New Year's Day is your best bet. Expect lines of 60 minutes for headliners and don't count on Fastpasses being available at the top attractions beyond the afternoon. The park probably won't hit capacity so park hopping would be okay, but I would recommend trying to minimize it.

If you don't go on New Year's Day, the longer you wait in January the less busy it will be. The second is the last day that usually has sell-out potential and it will be busy though the weekend, but after that crowds generally drop to a moderate level.

December 31, 2014, 3:18 PM

Friday the 2nd will be nasty in SoCal as many people make it a four-day weekend and stay away from work, going to the parks instead. But yeah, on Monday the 5th it will look like empty in the parks for the next two weeks.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive