The Magic Kingdom's Hub, Then and Now

January 23, 2015, 8:52 PM

A couple of tweets that just kicked me in the gut:

What do you think?

Replies (5)

January 24, 2015, 5:31 AM

Yes, a vast concrete jungle, indeed. Not to mention, they're filling in part of the river/moat to make parades and fireworks viewing easier, and at EPCOT, they're removing a bit of greenery from Norway for the Meet & Greet.

Don't miss out on an opportunity to make your parks less green, Disney! We wouldn't want that!

January 24, 2015, 11:06 AM

Such a shame.

January 24, 2015, 12:10 PM

I understand this is the inevitable outcome of the decision to make the castle into a performance platform, instead of leaving it just to be, well, a castle. With the fireworks now incorporating the castle and all the projection shows, Disney needs space to accommodate the crowds who want to see these shows, and it must make that space free of visual obstacles blocking the show. Therefore, bye, bye trees.

That said, I'm not on board with making the space around the castle look so desolate for the entire operational day just to accommodate two or three 10-15 minutes shows in the evening.

Disney's been spending millions on MyMagic+, in part to better distribute its crowds throughout its parks. Trying to draw everyone into the hub several times a night for these shows seems to run counter to that. I wonder if the Magic Kingdom experience might not be more "magical" if the fireworks became a show in the sky that looked the same from all around the park again. And if the castle projection show became a thing that happened on every hour or half-hour, to accommodate viewers throughout the evening instead of drawing huge crowds for just a couple show per night. That way, we might have a delightfully landscaped castle hub once again.

January 25, 2015, 6:18 AM

Oh, wow..... Talk about taking away from the magic. One of my favorite things at MK, a simple thing, was the twinkling fairy lights they used to put in those trees around the castle. Felt like a real enchanted forest..... Clearing it all away to make room to view an over-the-top light show is just sad. Sometimes it's the small things that make the biggest memories....

Edited: January 26, 2015, 12:23 PM

I'm not getting too bothered yet. Disney is good at bringing in fully grown trees and planting them overnight. Waiting to see the hub after all the walls are gone and landscaping is complete seems prudent.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive