Disney Parks Continue To Dominate

February 4, 2015, 4:41 PM

(LA Times - 02/04/14) Walt Disney Co. reported that domestic park attendance rose 7% in the three months that ended Dec. 27, a record.

In addition, the occupancy at Disney resort hotels also jumped 8% to 89% -- a rate that is as close to completely booked as possible, Disney officials said during an earnings report on the quarter.

The company also reported a 20% increase in income to $805 million from its parks and resorts, compared to the same period a year ago. The company attributed the rise to higher attendance and spending in the parks.

Replies (5)

Edited: February 4, 2015, 5:30 PM

Related:"Steve Jobs's widow is over $900 million richer after Disney's stock surge"

NEW YORK (MarketWatch - 02/04/15) The surge in Walt Disney's stock DIS, -0.19% to an all-time high on Wednesday is making Laurene Powell Jobs, the widow of Apple Inc. AAPL, -0.14% and Pixar Animation Studios founder Steve Jobs, a pretty penny.

A trust fund bearing Ms. Jobs's name is Disney's largest shareholder, as it owns 130,181,925 shares, or 7.7% of the entertainment giant's outstanding stock. The trust got its stake when Disney bought Pixar in 2006. With Disney's stock soaring $7.03, or 7.5%, in morning trade, the trust is about $915,178,933 richer.

The stock, a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, hit an all-time intraday high of $101.43 earlier in the session. It has now run up 12% over the past three months, while the Dow has gained 1.7%.

February 4, 2015, 9:34 PM

Nothing beats the Disney name and thats what I think is the problem with Orlando's other parks (Universal and Sea World).

Don't get me wrong, these are two excellent resort destinations as well, but most guests also include at least one trip to a Disney Park. Disney has the name!

Then again, it appears that Frozen did help them which does not bode well for this cash grab ever stopping.

February 5, 2015, 10:25 AM

Tom Staggs was just named COO (CNBC Report)

February 5, 2015, 10:27 PM

Guess we should be happy they are doing great. I would love it if they build more parks at Disney World, but also continue to expand internationally so we have an excuse to visit more countries.

February 7, 2015, 8:18 PM

For now, I don't see Disney building a new park in the U.S. DCA, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot all need work, and a new park would take away resources to enhance those parks. My guess is that Disney wants to maintain its numbers at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom, and improve its numbers at the rest of their parks. Disney's numbers are impressive, but they could be better. With the exception of improvements to DCA, its non Magic Kingdom parks haven't changed much since they opened, and are starting to lose appeal . Avatar Land is just the beginning of new E ticket attractions at all of Disney's parks to keep them on the top of the list.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive