Horror in Theme Parks

February 11, 2015, 7:45 AM

Recently I’ve been contemplating the future of universal studios seeing as a standard lifespan for an attraction in the Studio park is about 10 or 15 years. The other day I thought about what franchises are relevant nowadays that could capitalize on a theme park attraction that have yet to be exploited. One franchise I came upon was the highly successful horror series; Insidious. It’s a financially successful series, an accessible PG13 rating, and a wide open world that begs for deeper exploration (I’m addressing The Further in this case) This brings up exactly what kind of rides this could adapt to. Given that this series has already proven lucrative do to its warm response at HHN on the west coast, perhaps a ROTM type attraction that could meld beautifully with the supernatural powers at play. Or maybe something intimate ala Kuka Arms. A guided walkthrough tour/show like a nightmarish Poseidon’s Fury? What do you, the theme park community, think? What franchises do you think are next in the cards for universal? Could the Horror genre’s presence in Universal grow beyond Halloween Horror Nights?

Replies (1)

February 11, 2015, 9:42 AM

It could and it should. I would love that.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive