Disney's $1 Billion Bet on a Magical Wristband - Discuss

Edited: March 11, 2015, 10:28 AM

Notable exerpt:

"In fact, it’s called the paradox of choice: You make people happier not by giving them more options but by stripping away as many as you can. The redesigned Disney World experience constrains choices by dispersing them, beginning long before the trip is under way. “There are missions in a vacation,” Staggs says. In other words, Disney knows that parents arrive to its parks thinking: We have to have tea with Cinderella, and where the hell is that Buzz Lightyear thing, anyway? In that way, the park isn’t a playground so much as a videogame, with bosses to be conquered at every level. The MagicBands let you simply set an agenda and let everything else flow around what you’ve selected. “It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.” And that feeling of ease, and whatever flows from it, just might make you more apt to come back."

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/disney-magicband/

--
I agree with this approach.

Replies (2)

March 11, 2015, 12:45 PM

I am the type of person where I see that much planning in some ways actually more stressful than winging it with an idea of what I want to do instead of fully planned out. That's why I like the regular fastpass. I still can wing it a little and I have a window later to ride a more popular ride.

The fastpass+ really changes things not just in planning but it makes all the rides busy by extending queue wait times. I don't mind waiting a reasonable time in, a nicely designed queue isn't all that terrible anyways.

March 11, 2015, 3:38 PM

Still, remember that most of the guest going to WDW are not us! We are all theme park fans that are lucky enough (or budget enough) to go to the Disney parks more often than most.

If my kid wanted to go on Peter Pan's flight because they were obsessed with Peter Pan, you better believe that I want the Fastpass+ around!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive