Hollywood Studios Predictions

March 22, 2015, 4:24 PM

New Name: Disney's Hollywood Adventure

Attractions that will go: Indy, Lights Motors Action, Muppets, B&tB, Little Mermaid

What will come: Star Wars Land, Toy Story Playland, Carsland

Thoughts?

Replies (23)

March 22, 2015, 9:39 PM

I don't know. I think Disney wants to increase the capacity of the park, so replacing rides seems unlikely. Some upgrades to those rides seems likely, but as for them closing I don't see it happening until there are several new attractions. Despite its popularity, I think RockNRollerCoaster would be a good choice to get rid rid of because of the undeveloped land to the North. Creating a new land in that space with Tower of Terror as the main attraction makes the most sense to me. In the existing areas of the park, with the abundance of shops, restaurants, and empty studio space, there's a lot of space for new attractions while keeping most of what's currently open for the time being.

The first thing they should do is demolish the old animation building. I don't know if it's being used for anything besides the Art of Disney Animation, but if it is, Disney can figure out another place for it. It's the perfect place for something new to be built without getting rid of anything besides the left over Animation attraction.

March 23, 2015, 10:35 AM

I definitely think that muppets should go as in the muppet area it is really only that show and next to it the honey I shrunk the kids. If they get rid of they strip then there would be a lot of room for expansion possibly into a cars land or maybe even rides based off of monsters inc. or ratatouille. Or in the future if universal isn't a worry they could develop a marvel land in the park.

I do hope though that they keep some of the classic attractions like Indy as otherwise it would just become a Star Wars and pixar park.

March 23, 2015, 11:53 AM

I'm a huge Muppets fan. Move the attraction to a different spot, but I hope they don't get rid rid of it. It's the last major project Jim Henson was a part of. It's a shame that the other planned Muppet attractions were never made because the original deal between Disney and Henson fell through. It's a great attraction, but it was not meant to be the only Muppet attraction.

March 23, 2015, 4:11 PM

A new Indy movie coming out and you think they'll get rid of one of the most popular shows for resting in the shade and enjoying the respite? I think not!

March 23, 2015, 5:09 PM

Agreed but it may still go. There are a lot of Indy Stunt Show haters out there.

March 23, 2015, 8:25 PM

I've never been to the park, but based on the rumors I've heard as well as aerial views of the park I'm guessing something similar to the following will happen (or at least this is what I'd do):

New Name: Disney Hollywood Adventure, or something similar that relates to adventures in film.

New Lands: Three new lands added to the park, doubling the current number of attractions.

-Star Wars Land: This area would be a copy of the land coming to Disneyland in California. The area would include an E-ticket ride, a couple smaller rides, and a non-ride attraction along with at least one dining location and one retail location. Everything would be based on the original or sequel trilogy, with no references to the prequels. This area would take over the Streets of America, resulting in the closures of Lights! Motors! Action! and MuppetVision 3D.

-Pixar Land: This area would be an expansion of Pixar Place and feature several new attractions based on the Pixar movies. Attractions in this area may be clones of those at other parks or new attractions, but the entire area would be unique. New attractions would include an E-ticket attraction (such as Radiator Springs Racers) and a D-ticket attraction (such as Crush's Coaster), as well as 2-3 B/C tickets and 1-2 each of dining and retail locations. This area would mainly take over the space occupied by the Studio Backlot Tour.

-Marvel Land: This area would be different from the Marvel Land under development for California. In order to make the area work, a deal with Universal would be made to give Universal the rights to Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four characters while Disney has rights to the Avengers characters (except possibly Hulk). This area would be located around Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, with the ride rethemed to match the setting. The area would have three new attractions, one of which would be an E-ticket, as well as at least one dining and retail location.

Other Changes: In addition to the new attractions, The Great Movie Ride would receive a major overhaul and one or two of the existing shows would be replaced with new offerings (either a reworked show with the same theme or a complete new show). The entire park would also receive appropriate touch-ups to look new.

Timeline: The expansion would be performed in two phases. The first phase, including Star Wars Land and improvements to existing attractions, would begin construction after summer 2016 and open to coincide with both the park's 30th anniversary and the conclusion of the Star Wars sequel trilogy in 2019. The second phase, including Pixar Land and Marvel Land, as well as various minor improvements to the park, would begin construction in 2018 for an opening in 2021 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World, at which time the park would be re-launched with its new name.

Edited: March 23, 2015, 8:55 PM

AJ, most of what you said I think is spot on. The only thing is that from everything I have seen indicates that DHS will have a much larger Star Wars presence than Disneyland. I don't think it will be a clone, but a much larger and grander area than what will be done at California.

There is simply more space that can be dedicated solely to Star Wars.

And I haven't heard any Marvel rumors, though that would be sweet!

March 23, 2015, 10:26 PM

I agree that it's more likely DHS will have quite a larger Star Wars presence than DLR, especially considering the annual Star Wars Weekends.

As for Marvel, I believe the best option would be to build around Guardians of the Galaxy, preferably putting it right next to Star Wars, as they share a space theme, and GotG is not part of the Universal deal.

I'd like to see them keep Rockin Roller Coaster because it's the only attraction that goes upside down. I would however, like to see it updated to a modern band. Or randomize it and have 4-5 bands record intros. Aerosmith and its accompanying video is outdated.

Yes, get rid of Streets of America and Lights, Motors, Action.

Edited: March 23, 2015, 10:39 PM

Jack, I'm so used to the smaller size of Disneyland that I didn't think about the size of DHS. From an area calculator, the largest possible area Disneyland would have is about 10 acres while Streets of America and the Lights! Motors! Action! theater are about 12 (with more surrounding Backlot area available). Therefore, I'll revise my Star Wars Land prediction to the area including everything present in California, but featuring additional attractions due to the increased space available.

As for Marvel, that one comes from a recent post on Screamscape as well as Disney's apparent desire to reunite the characters as evidenced by the recent Spider-Man film deal. After Harry Potter, Marvel is currently the hottest IP and I have a feeling that Disney is going to pursue theme park rights to the characters in Florida as soon as the time is right. There's always the Guardians of the Galaxy approach, but personally I think they should be reserved for a future Tomorrowland attraction as they fit that setting a lot better than anywhere else on Disney property.

March 28, 2015, 12:35 AM

Here's Mine.

Walt Disney Studios Theme Park (Not to be confused by the park in paris of the same name)

March 29, 2015, 11:09 AM

I like WDS (Walt Disney Studios)

While I agree with most of what has been said, I find it hard to believe they are going to get rid of the stunt show. That Indy stunt show has weathered the factor of time. While all other stunt shows in Florida have fizzled, this one can still pack the theaters. Not saying that a refresher wouldn't be bad, but I would keep it.

Here is an idea, perhaps combine it with Lights Motors and Action and do a motorcycle/car chase stunt scene like from Crystal Skull.

Edited: March 29, 2015, 11:25 AM

Anthony, I like your thinking. If they didnt turn all of Echo Lake into star wars, I would've guessed that they would've put an actual Indy ride like the one in Disneyland

March 30, 2015, 4:13 AM

MY guess is Pixar Place extends back to take over Back lot and Lights Motors Action, as well as the Honey I shrunk the Kids playground and Streets of America. Linking Pixar from Toy Story Midway Mania down to Pizza Planet and the Muppet's theater. I mean lets remember the Pizza Planet Truck has made appearances in all the Pixar films.

Then Star Wars Land will take over Backlot Express, Indy Stunt Show, and most of Echo Lake (not sure about the Sounds Dangerous Studio's building) I presume they will leave the building in Echo lake but re-theme them to a shopping experience/ride/show.

I've been told by several people that work closely with the Dance and Cheer competitions that Indy will stay in place to 2017 as the ampitheatre is booked through then for competitions, after that they could start removal.

I'm a huge fan of the stunt show, unless the B team is in, they are just awful...But I also would allow the stunt show to go if they brought us an Indy indoor coaster. And to Anthony....did you really say Crystal Skull stunt show... Are we still considering that an Indy movie?

March 30, 2015, 12:26 PM

Any improvements on Hollywood Studios should consider how scatter shot the attractions are laid out in the park. A Star Wars Land needs a huge space of land that should consider the entire Echo Park area and the Indy stunt show. An expansion of Pixar Land should include the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area and the Muppets 3D theater and New York Street. Pixar Land should include a Cars Land area too with its own version of Radiator Springs Racers.

I doubt Marvel with make it for the simple reason that Disney doesn't just gives away money to the competition and expect to earn it back so easily. Anyways, it seems like Disney owns some Disney branded superhero properties like Big Hero 6 and The Incredibles will make some great attractions.

April 1, 2015, 10:10 AM

Anon I hadn't even thought about Big Hero 6 not having any presence in a park yet (Orlando wise) They could do something really cool with that...Speaking of Big Hero 6...Does anyone else really want to watch Robot Wars after watching the opening Robot fight?

April 1, 2015, 12:36 PM

Big Hero 6 only just arrived on DVD. Give it some time. Maybe after Avatar, Star Wars, and a big infusion of Pixar will they consider doing something. Disney Springs formerly Downtown Disney will open a Superheroes store that will feature the Marvel characters. Superheroes will find a way to come to Disney Parks in Orlando. It just won't be Marvel.

Edited: April 1, 2015, 1:59 PM

Big Hero 6 is technically a Marvel property, so it may not be possible for Disney to use it in Orlando. Incredibles seems far more logical, but I wonder how that property has aged with the audience. Disney uses the characters very prominently in marketing and they are very popular in Infinity, but since there hasn't been a sequel yet (recently pushed to 2017), it would be interesting to see how audiences would react to characters that have not seen any major activity in over a decade.

Edited: April 1, 2015, 2:14 PM

I don't think there's any Big Hero 6 relation at Marvel at Universal, so I'd say it's fair game for Disney.

As for the Incredibles showing their age, I'd say it wouldn't be a problem. Snow White was released 80 years ago and Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid are nearing 30 (I'm only counting the first movies because most people would like to forget that the sequels ever happened). And yet, visitors are eating those franchises up at New Fantasyland.

April 1, 2015, 3:01 PM

Big Hero 6 is not part of "The Marvel Universe" or "The Marvel Cinematic Universe". It exists in its own standalone universe.

The contract between Marvel and MCA is about "The Marvel Universe". A lawyer will have to figure out if Big Hero 6 is considered outside of "The Marvel Universe". Big Hero 6 is just another comic produced by Marvel, but they don't associate with The Avengers consisting Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, Hulk, etc. It would seem like Guardians of the Galaxy is on the borderline as it is described as being on the "alternative time-line of the Marvel Universe."

The Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Spiderman are on the same Marvel Universe as the Avengers as we can see at Universal's IOA.

Maybe you're correct in noting that Disney might not want to risk a lawsuit by putting Big Hero 6 in the Orlando Disney Parks.

April 2, 2015, 7:01 AM

If Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't technically considered part of the Avengers portion of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" (I feel that they are based on The Collector appearing), they will be soon since rumors have GotG characters integrating into the "Civil/Infinity War" stories that are part of Avengers Phase 3.

I agree that Big Hero 6 is not part of this universe (much how Fantastic 4 and XMen are not part of the Avengers Marvel Cinematic Universe and have never crossed over as far as I know in the comics), but it all comes down to the contract and the lawyers as to what is defined as being the IP that IOA really owns. Since Disney/Marvel acquired the rights to Spiderman from Sony, he will be integrated into his appropriate role as part-time Avenger.

April 2, 2015, 10:07 AM

GotG is definitely questionable as they are part of the Marvel universe and will be combined as Russell said. Big Hero 6 should be just fine. No relation to Avengers.

April 2, 2015, 6:38 PM

I think Big Hero 6 could help bring the crowds into Future World and it fits there more

April 16, 2015, 8:02 AM

the muppets should not be closed but maybe upgraded or expanded

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive