Published: March 12, 2014 at 7:00 AM
Worst 3 at Disneyland:
1) Any Indiana Jones refurbishment, because even when it comes back up, half the effects still don't work. Bonus points to the recent one that replaced James Earl Jones with a screeching diva.
2) Pirates of the Caribbean: Take a beloved classic, ruin a dark, atmospheric transition with a cheap projection on a mist screen (because that worked so well with Indiana Jones?) replace the captain with an unconvincing Barbosa animatronics, and force an awkward storyline where you could previously imagine an elegant, vague one. What next, a Sanka Coffee animatronic on the Matterhorn?
3) Speaking of the Matterhorn, not only have you lost the ability to hold your date or significant other close, you'll now probably also lose your dental fillings and your tailbone as well.
Best 3 at Disneyland
1) Old Matterhorn refurb. Yes the mountain makes both the best and worst lists. This nomination is for the one that filled a hollow, unconvincing wooden interior with beautiful caves and grottoes, a yeti, and an increased capacity. Bravo
2) Space Mountain: cleaned up, smoothed-out track, new soundtrack that fit perfectly, and a dramatic reduction of the light levels was exactly what this ride needed.
3) Snow White: Amazing what good quality mapped projections can do to take a simple dark ride and bring it into the 21st century while keeping the original appeal intact. The projections could have come off as cheap or gimmicky, but instead they were an understated enhancement that simply improved the show.