"Fast and Furious 7" receipts rocket past expectations at $142 million for opening weekend

April 8, 2015, 2:16 AM

A little copy and paste from TH's line of that little old princess that only made 70 million on opening weekend. Fast and Furious 7, count em 1, 2, 3 well that's too many for me to count opened up for more than double than that rags to riches princess tale did. Oh and by the way, it's a Universal property, split right down the middle of male and female viewers, and had a cultural melting pot of viewers. All adding up to a great property for Universal to use in Orlando.

Too bad Disney can't use Marvel in Orlando.... Even these Fast and Furious record breaking numbers will be tough to beat for the second installment of the Avengers.

Move over pumpkin buggy, cause Daddy and Mommy have a new set of wheels and its owned by Universal.

Replies (12)

April 8, 2015, 10:22 AM

Way to go Universal! When can we see a F&F attraction in Central Florida?

April 8, 2015, 11:45 AM

Why all the hate towards Cinderella? Are you just a Universal fanboy? Competition is good for the consumer. Furious 7 may be a hot item right now, but I doubt it will endure like Cinderella. Besides, some would call the marketing methods for Furious 7 exploitative, considering many of the actors, directors, and producers keep insisting on mentioning Paul Walker's untimely death.

Regardless, it's good news for all of us as theme park fans.

Edited: April 8, 2015, 12:10 PM

If the cast of 'Fast and Furious' had a hotel reservation at one of Universal Orlando's resorts, and they raced over to begin their vacation ... Universal would charge them to park their hot cars.

April 8, 2015, 1:02 PM

With 50 Shades of Grey, Furious 7, Jurassic World, Ted 2, and the Minions movie (despite their popularity, I don't think the Minions are going to be quite as successful as Despicable Me), Universal is set to be reigning box office champ for most of the year. However, with Cinderella, Avengers 2, Tomorrowland (maybe), Inside Out, the Good Dinosaur (the first year we'll ever see 2 Pixar flicks), and yes, Star Wars Episode 7, I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney wretch the box office crown again this year.

Edited: April 8, 2015, 3:29 PM

While the comparison of Furious 7 to Cinderella is a bit of a stretch, you gotta give props to the latter for coming out of no where to be a nice success. $400M and counting is a pretty good haul for something no one expected to be a hit.

Still, kudos to Universal for having a big hit and for timing it well, considering their new Studio Tour addition opens in June. With Avatar 2's release pushed back to 2017 I wonder if Disney will be able to take advantage of similar successful timing with its DAK expansion?

Because Avengers was brought up, I should note that the first film made $1.5B worldwide, and $207M domestic in its first weekend (#1 of all time, Furious 7 is 9th). Current advance ticket sale projections have Avengers 2 breaking its own record and scoring $217M in its opening frame. So, I don't think it will have any trouble besting the Paul Walker love fest from this past weekend (I am also a bit taken aback by how folks involved in the film are milking Mr. Walker's untimely demise - but hey, it worked for The Dark Knight, so why not?).

Incidentally, Star Wars 7 may break all records when it comes out this Christmas.

Edited: April 8, 2015, 2:06 PM

^The box office projections I've read state that although Avengers 2 will indeed have a bigger opening, it's expected to have bigger drop offs as the weeks go by compared to the first. The first film was unprecedented in its execution, but I have a feeling that people aren't going to be so inclined to see the new one multiple times again. My guess is that it'll sit at a healthy $1.1 billion, which is nothing to balk at.

April 8, 2015, 2:26 PM

I seen at least 3 different trailers for the Avengers. I expect it to be a big hit regardless of how much legs it has. Opening weekend will still have the biggest business so start sooner like Tuesday. Unfortunately, the fight scenes seem repetitive. It looks too much like the previous movie.

The hype of Star Wars has just begun. Time to buy the 6 series set before it comes out on 4K in two years, then you'll buy it again as a triple trilogy.

Furious 7. DVD coming out in 4 months.

April 8, 2015, 2:40 PM

@James I only referenced Avengers 2 beating the opening weekend numbers of Avengers 1, not its total box office. However, while the overall domestic projections are lower, it is speculated they will be compensated by a larger overseas take. Another $1.5B final bow or more is not out of the question. But like you said even if Avengers 2 "only" does a billion it will still be huge.

April 8, 2015, 6:12 PM

Gotcha, must have been reading between the lines earlier. While I'm still not convinced that it'll make the same amount of money (does anyone expect Avatar 2 to hit $2.7 billion again), I forgot to include Ant-Man to the above list. I'm sure that will also make a boatload of money.

April 8, 2015, 11:00 PM

I'd just like to point out that the Disney Swan and Dolphin both charge for parking since those hotels are actually owned by Starwood. It's similar to the Universal hotels being owned by Lowes... It's a valid gripe, but Disney isn't immune.

Universal Orlando could use a Fast and Furious attraction for the record.

April 9, 2015, 4:51 PM

So no Disney-owned hotels charge their guests for parking at Walt Disney World.

NEXT!

April 9, 2015, 5:30 PM

And no Universal-owned hotels charge their guests for parking at Universal Orlando.

Disney does however charge their hotel guests to park at Disney-owned hotels at Disneyland Resort.

It's a totally valid gripe, even outside the theme park realm. It's a crap practice, but Disney isn't immune at either resort.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive