Harry Potter to take over the rest of Lost Continent?

Edited: June 3, 2015, 1:26 PM

Ok, so, take this with a BIG grain salt, but, apparently there have been rumblings about Universal planning to convert the rest of Lost Continent into more Harry Potter. They have plans to convert Poseidon's Fury into the Chamber of Secrets, where guests would walkthrough the famous dungeon facing off against the most wicked creatures of the HP mythology with the end room featuring a face off between Harry and the Basilisk. And as for Sinbad, Universal has been toying with 2 ideas, either to do a Quidditch match (I have no idea how they would pull it off), or, the Tri-wizard tournament stunt show, it would involve everythnig from the actors putting their names on the goblet of fire, and even surprise appearances from some of the characters from the books and movies. They're planning to start after construction on Skull Island finishes and trying to coincide with the new "Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them" movies.

Like I said, take it with a big grain of salt, I'm skeptical myself but, with all the money HP makes, wouldnt doubt something like this would happen

Replies (12)

June 3, 2015, 1:30 PM

I would actually be hesitant for Universal to develop even more land dedicated to the Harry Potter franchise. The IP already has a significant presence in both parks, and any more might lead to the parks becoming known as Harry Potter Land. Even a mighty franchise like Potter only has so much staying power.

Plus, there are a lot of other franchises that could get the love. I'm not saying I would be against more Harry Potter stuff, but that it seems like a misguided strategy. Then again, with the attendance jumps that were just reported maybe I'm speaking out of turn.

June 3, 2015, 2:40 PM

I don't really see that happening for the near future. Perhaps down the road though. Right now, there are quite a few expansion plans for the next few years, Nintendo, Fast & Furious, NYC attraction replacing Nintendo, Themed Water Park, Kong. They are in the process of refurbishing the Sinbad set & show, which reopens at the end of June. The Lost Continent should hang around for a few more years.

June 3, 2015, 2:42 PM

If this happens, I suspect that the Lost Continent conversion would be to the Forbidden Forest, to maintain geographical consistency with the rest of the Wizarding World. (It would be tough to justify a Chamber of Secrets attraction so far from Hogwarts Castle, for example. No impossible, but tough.) So I'm not expecting to see much movement on this until the Fantastic Beasts film is further along.

June 4, 2015, 4:22 AM

Wasn't there a third phase planned when Diagon Alley was started? They were in the planning stages of converting some area in USF into the Ministry of Magic? Can't remember where I heard it, but know I heard/read it somewhere.

June 4, 2015, 5:58 AM

I completely agree with Nick on this one. I mean yeah, I loved when they expanded Harry Potter with Diagon Alley, but anymore would just be too much.

June 4, 2015, 7:51 AM

If they did expand Harry Potter anymore, I'm thinking possibly a resort would be really amazing.

June 4, 2015, 8:01 AM

A Harry Potter hotel would be a nice touch. Stay in the spooky Lord Voldemort suite or Professor Dumbordore's study. Swim in the lake. Eat in the Great Hall.

Edited: June 4, 2015, 8:33 AM

Bradley: One of the Warner people (can't recall his name off the cuff) who worked on the movies & HP at Universal mentioned in an interview last year that he would like to do a Ministry of Magic. Nothing official though, but the rumors usually swirl around replacing the Fear Factor area.

June 5, 2015, 5:20 AM

Rob that's where I had heard it would go as well. As far as the original post, I could see them doing a Goblet of Fire type deal or Quidditch because those stadiums were just outside of the castle grounds so it could make sense geography wise. Although Dark Forrest could be really awesome, especially with the Hippogriff being a creature from the dark Forrest.

June 5, 2015, 8:38 AM

A Quidditch match would be perfect for the Sinbad site if they ever go that route. But keep in mind Rowling won't let them use the main characters in a stage acting type stage role. That limits the plot/story possibilities somewhat.

June 5, 2015, 9:29 AM

Expand Seuss Landing and Potter till they meet in the middle. A Grinch ride with the live action Mount Crumpet would make for a natural transition between the two. Both islands could use the expansion space.

June 5, 2015, 10:04 AM

No , please no no, universal needs to focus on Nintendo after kong, and focus on getting the rights to middle earth . Imagine , Harry potter and Lord of the rings in the same theme park .

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive