A Beautiful Teaser Trailer Shows Potential of an 'Unfortunate' Theme Park IP

Edited: July 6, 2015, 6:08 PM

Hoping some of the TPI all stars managed to pick up on the GORGEOUS "fan made" teaser meant to surmise the tone and production design of Netflix's planned run at Lemony Snicket's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events.' As a fan of Mr. Snicket's extraordinary books (written with the assistance of Daniel Handler) the stories take place in a rich world that would seem to have incredible dark ride/coaster potential this IP might have.

What seems especially promising about an ASOUE attraction is that it's content is not dependent upon space travel or magic or dragons or dinosaurs. It's a real world scenario with machines, and dark passages and unhappy endings -- all supported by great stories featuring amazing characters.

Replies (7)

July 6, 2015, 6:06 PM

Edited: July 7, 2015, 2:57 AM

As a fan of the books, I was very disappointed in Paramount's original film (starring Jim Carrey as Count Olaf). VERY disappointed. But what did stand out was the end title sequence designed by Cal Arts graduate and visionary animator Jamie Caliri. Watching the animation actually looks like a dark ride storyboard.

July 7, 2015, 3:50 PM

Sure! Why not? The question is would this IP be recognizable enough?

July 7, 2015, 5:46 PM

I love the series. I think a trackless, dark ride would be nice

July 7, 2015, 7:58 PM

Unfortunately, the above teaser trailer was fan-made.

The only real problem I can see is having an attraction with an unhappy ending. That just doesn't really work in theme parks. The only ride with a gloomy ending is Mr. Toad and that's mostly to provide a sudden juxtaposition to the campiness beforehand, but even then it's mostly played for laughs.

July 8, 2015, 5:48 AM

James Trexen writes: "The only real problem I can see is having an attraction with an unhappy ending. That just doesn't really work in theme parks."

I Respond: The Haunted Mansion's attic scene featuring a bride who has decapitated multiple husbands followed by a trip through a cemetary does not strike me as a terribly happy conclusion. Plus, whatever happened to outside of the box thinking?

July 11, 2015, 5:48 AM

Well, TH. She does get her comeuppance at the end. I believe her last husband kills her per the crypt outside the exit.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive