Comcast Second Quarter Results

Edited: July 23, 2015, 7:53 AM

Comcast reported that USA Universal Theme Park cash flow was up 44.9% in the second quarter and theme park revenue increased 25.7%. Comcast CFO said they are committed to Universal theme park's increased capital investments and see the theme parks as a growth area for at least the next 20 years.

Replies (5)

July 23, 2015, 9:48 AM

Hurray.

July 23, 2015, 3:23 PM

They did such a good job with HP I wonder if they could use that with Tolkien's heirs to get the rights to Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. It would take a lot of land and money but the potential there is huge from both theming and rides, both thrill and family.

July 23, 2015, 4:58 PM

I'm sure Universal would jump on that property, and do a great job,if they could. Unfortunately there's too many entanglements at this point in time for that to happen in the near future.

Edited: July 23, 2015, 5:21 PM

Interesting. There's another thread running inquiring about the potential of a third gate for UO -- an idea that was pretty much rejected in the discussion. Based on the available acreage what (and where) would UC pursue a Tolkien attraction. And after snuggling up to Nintendo, why would they bother pursuing Tolkien?

Based on the available square acres, Universal's "tear-it-down re-build something new" approach (see J. Fallon) seems to be the trend.

So long, Arnold.

July 23, 2015, 6:21 PM

Yes, I think you're right TH. The Universal Orlando concept strength, somewhat like the Disney Resort, is that everything is close, making it easy & leisurely for on site customers. They still have plenty of expansion areas in both parks, and increasing capacity will make it easier to increase attendance. Make both parks all they can be, and if they need a third park ten years or so from now, the base will be solid enough to support it. And, for the out of date attractions, the concept of "tear it down re-build something new" works with Universal's style. The Tolkien stuff is such a mess it's probably in the "we'd be interested but there's no way it's ever happening" file in the back of the file cabinet.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive