One More Reason to Love Billy Corgan

Edited: July 30, 2015, 9:03 AM

On Theme Park Insider, we typically don't cover celebrity visits to theme parks, and Smashing Pumpkins lead singer Billy Corgan just illustrated why.

Billy Corgan on Big Thunder Mountain

Earlier this week, this photo of Corgan not looking liking the happiest person on Earth vent viral. Alternative Nation posted a comment from Corgan at a VIP Q&A that perfectly describes the reason we feel so much apathy about celebrities in the parks:

"I’m at f***ing Disneyland. I just want to hang out at Disneyland. I’m not here to do a meet and greet, I’m here to be at Disneyland. You know what I’m saying? But it’s almost like, ‘Well you’re here, and I’m here, and because I’m on my vacation, your vacation, you’re part of my vacation.’ It’s like, I’m not working, and I wasn’t being unpleasant, I wasn’t being rude. I was taking pictures with people, I took a picture with every person that asked. But then it gets into, what’s in your head? Like, you’re not smiling enough, or you don’t seem to be enjoying – and I’m like, what the f*** do you want from me?"

I dealt with plenty of celebrities when I worked at the Magic Kingdom. And most of them were just there to have a good time. So let them!

Yes, there are a few C-list celebrities who seem to be making a habit of showing up at Disneyland on a regular basis for the apparent purpose of showing up in as many fans' Instagram feeds as possible. Unlike Corgan, they are working when at Disneyland, but for the sake of consistency, let's just agree to ignore them, too.

Hey, it's perfectly normal to notice famous people when you see them in public. Be nice, smile, and if you get the opportunity (meaning that you aren't stopping or interrupting them), go ahead and thank them for the entertainment they've given you over the years, if you're inclined. Most people appreciate a compliment on their work. If they seem amenable to a photo at that point, go ahead and ask.

But if the celebrity is walking, talking to someone else, trying to watch a show or to eat, or in any other way indicates that he or she would prefer not to be interrupted, let them be and don't take it personally. And don't criticize them for wanting to be left alone. Celebrities in the parks are people with a job who happen to be on vacation, just like you. You don't want people from work interrupting your day at the parks, so try not to interrupt theirs, either.

Replies (6)

Edited: July 30, 2015, 11:07 AM

Great article but I'm afraid it won't prevent stupid people from stupid behavior.
It would also be more respectful to not show the picture here. I know it's all over the internet but your article is clear enough and does undermine it a bit imho.

The Greek did that so much better, there was no adoration for people. When you wrote a song it was send by the gods in your sleep so they got the credit. If it was a bad song you weren't blamed.

Edited: July 30, 2015, 11:39 AM

That Disney staff, sitting behind him, doesn't look so happy either!!! He should wear a hat and sunglasses (if allowed on the ride).

Leave him alone to have his pleasant vacation.

Maybe you should report on the celebrities that do social media to get a free vacation from Disney. That happens a lot. The much publicized recent Kardashian visit was another weird occurrence with Kanye sleeping in the Frozen sing-along. He also skipped out on a Disney On Ice show. Better things to do.

July 30, 2015, 1:16 PM

Mr. Corgan is a nobody in my eyes, so he doesn't have to worry about any extra attention from me.

July 30, 2015, 1:46 PM

A few years ago my husband and I were at MK and on the train passing through Main Street Station. As we pulled in, right in front of our seats waiting to board was baseball legend Jim Palmer. I am not that old but we are a baseball family so I knew who he was. No one else did but I wad super excited! His son is obviously autistic and he looked a bit stressed. I don't need pictures or autographs of celebrities as I think they are normal people. We smiled at him, nodded our head and left him alone. He looked relieved.

July 30, 2015, 5:22 PM

I know why Billy Corgan isn't happy in that picture. He's sitting in the front car on Big Thunder Mountain. That's the worst spot to ride in. He would have been way happier in the last car. The last car is the best car.

Edited: July 30, 2015, 7:57 PM

Usually a celebrity in the park is no big deal, but the rumors about Michael Jackson being in the park brought a lot of excitement from the CMs in the park when I was working there many years ago. He is a legend. When George Clooney was at the AMC Theater for the Tomorrowland premier, it was widely reported. He is definitely a big deal. The after party at Tomorrowland was closed to the public, but I'm sure many want to see him there. I'm sure if Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt shows up, it will bring more heart palpitations than Mylie Cyrus and the Kardasians. Johnny Depp is big enough to be in a ride.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive